• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Piaggio P.108

The cockpit is looking good Dave Have fun with the window .

Sort of wondering if micro crystal glue would not be easier .

Cheers, Christian B)

Either way I still have to carve out something that would resemble a window opening. I think it is too big for that anyway but we'll see.

Thanks all for checking in. :drinks

Another option would be to make the hole substantially bigger and install a larger piece of clear plastic. You can then fill the gaps around it, sand the clear part flush with the fuselage and just mask off the correct sized window shape.

Definitely worth considering if I can't get the kit windows to fit nicely. :good:

With everything going on at home I am definitely not going to make the deadline but I will press on and finish it up as I like the looks of this one.

Time to get back to this one. :yipee

I managed to get the side windows in and moved on to closing up the fuselage. Unfortunately one of the fuselage halves was badly warped so I had to spend some time with a pot of boiling water dipping it for a few seconds at a time and working the warp out. Didn't quite get it all out but close enough that I was able to get it straight by glueing one section at a time. One wing also had a bit of a warp that I was able to straighten out.

I didn't get a picture of it yet but the one fuselage half was a mm or two shorter than the other. Everything seemed to line up well though except for the tail wheel opening and the rudder.

08P108.jpg

09P108.jpg

The side windows turned out okay despite the crude openings.

10P108.jpg

Wing fit seems to be decent. not glued on yet, want to do the nacelles first.

11P108.jpg

The fit of the nacelles to the wing seams to be quite good.

12P108.jpg

I'll be on the road this week so I'll have to set this aside for a bit.

Thanks guys. Just waiting to get on the ferry over to Victoria. My wife thinks I'm taking her on a romantic getaway but i got a couple LHS to check out over there. :D ;) :eek:hyeah

Thanks guys. Just waiting to get on the ferry over to Victoria. My wife thinks I'm taking her on a romantic getaway but i got a couple LHS to check out over there. :D ;) :eek:hyeah

And that's one way to kill the romantic part. After almost 40 yrs.. I should know. :fencing Really nice model BTW. Gary S.

And that's one way to kill the romantic part. After almost 40 yrs.. I should know. :fencing Really nice model BTW. Gary S.

Haha! Yes, I've been married almost 27 years. I know my place and how to balance. :zen

Well, if I never hear from or about you again , I'll realize you miss judged her :rotf :rotf :rotf

For who could ever know the mind of women ? :idonno

Cheers, Christian :rotf

Okay, back to some serious bench time after a week of snowy weather and way too much food. :D

The nacelle's are now on and I must say it went pretty smoothly. Nice tight fit to the wing (with some fine tuning) in all but one small spot where I'll have to fill a gap.

13P108.jpg

14P108.jpg

I only have about half a dozen short run/resin kit builds under my belt and I must say that other than the warps in the fuselage and wings I've been pretty happy with how well this has gone together. It is definitely a short run kit but with proper dry fitting and patience I've been able to move it along.

Then I took a closer look at the engines!!! :bang head :bang head :bang head

15P108.jpg

I really don't understand the logic behind their choices of what was rendered in plastic as opposed to resin. You would think that the engines would be better represented in resin.

Anyway, I plan to do as much of the putty and sanding on the wings and fuselage as I can before mating the wings to the fuselage. The wing is too narrow for the mating surface on the fuselage right now so I will have to deal with that somehow.

Thanks for looking in.

Hmmm :idonno I know what you mean about these short run kits . I often get the impression that the left hand is totally unaware of what the right hand is doing.

Of course the dry fitting is very important since the end of the pieces generally don't have a definite end to them :S

Too bad engines and things is no longer in business . They probably had something that would have been a fair replacement for those.

Keep hammering :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Not much of an update. lots of filling and sanding. I got the wings glued on finally. If you remember there was a spar for the wing attachment to give it some extra strength but after I glued the wings on I noticed the right side wing had quite a bit more diheadral than the other because of that spar. The glue was still soft on the butt join but I had to break the spar to remove the wing and reposition it. The first pic below is the second attempt with a home made jig of tin lids to get it even this time.

16P108.jpg

A pic of the spar culprit. Now that I look closely you can see one side is higher than the other.

09P108.jpg

Final wing attached.

17P108.jpg

That's it for a bit until I am done with my Micro Modeling month build.

Thanks for checking in.

Back