• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Model Cars, Trucks and Motorcycles.Update 4/30/19

A Pocher Ferrari Testarossa Finished, June 13th

Since getting into the kit, in particular, the engine, I noticed something I really dislike. As you can see below, a photo of the real Testerossa engine, note the valve covers. They are finned and have embossed Ferrari and Testerossa letters in the metal.

[
ferrari-512-testarossa-engine.jpg

However, the kit parts are smooth and you get a decal to simulate them.

decals.jpg

Here is a model of the same engine I pulled off the web and the builder has used the decals. Nice job of building, but I can't get past the decals.

Ferrari_Testarossa_Motor_1.jpg

I began working on the engine today. BTW, I found a company who sells these in resin for $180. Just the resin engine!!!!! Well, it is big!

I decided I couldn't live with the decal, so I found some tiny plastic letters that have been laying around forever, pulled some Evergreen strips the right size to make the cooling fins, and went to work. Here are the letters and strip and then the completed valve covers.

letters.jpg

valvecovers-1.jpg

Then after painting them magnesium, I think they will work. I will paint the rectangle red and after drying, the letters and the cooling fin tops magnesium.

Valvecoversbest.jpg

While at it, I painted the basic block and the heads.

heads.jpg

DSCF0282.jpg

And the heads.

heads-1.jpg

More later.

Bob

Absolutely stunning!!! :ro: :notworthy

All the best!!
Dusan.

absolutely stunning work bob!

flawless except the name of the car - it's testarossa, not testerossa! :S

Absolutely stunning!!! :ro: :notworthy

All the best!!
Dusan.

Thank you sir!

Way to go Saul!! Simply outstanding!!! (y)

Uhhh, Gene, I think you are confused as to the builder? No big deal, I've done the same! :D

Bob

Hi Bob, Great job of detailing those covers (y) (y) (y)

Randy

Thanks Randy, I think they will look OK after painting is finished.

Bob

absolutely stunning work bob!

flawless except the name of the car - it's testarossa, not testerossa! :S

As Mr. Bill used to say, "Ohhhhh Noooooooo". The bad part is I knew that. I don't know what I was thinking when I put those letters on there.

When you wrote TestArossa, there was this sinking feeling, anybody else ever have that?

Oh well, it's fixable. Thanks for the heads up Laura!

Senility, you know! :idonno :idonno :idonno

Bob

Um, what did I do?
:blush:

Bob, it happens to all of us. I am sure you will fix it. Even misspelled it looks better than a decal!

Regards,

Oh man have been nappin on the job!!!! Missed this one. Bob the car looks fantastic. :notworthy :popcorn

B)

Um, what did I do?
:blush:

Bob, it happens to all of us. I am sure you will fix it. Even misspelled it looks better than a decal!

Regards,

Saul, I make them all the time. Glad Laura brought it to my attention. I looked them over and decided to completely redo them. I put them on without my optivisor and some of the letters are crooked as well as the strips. Guess I might as well face it. I can't model anymore without my optivisors!

I will rebuild them this afternoon and this time do them right!

Bob

Oh man have been nappin on the job!!!! Missed this one. Bob the car look fantastic. :notworthy :popcorn

B)

Thanks Terry,

I was just checkin' out your Model T. You don't need to finish it, you have more medals than Georgie Patton already! :D (y) :D (y) :D (y)

Bob

I can't model anymore without my optivisors!

Bob, I am not your age and agree with the first sentence, so your eyes are doing better than mine!

If you do plan to try again, modify the Fe in Ferrari to match the logo. I know you don't have lowercase letters for the rest as I would have to shave them from kit sprues but they would be too small.

Regards,

I can't model anymore without my optivisors!

Bob, I am not your age and agree with the first sentence, so your eyes are doing better than mine!

If you do plan to try again, modify the Fe in Ferrari to match the logo. I know you don't have lowercase letters for the rest as I would have to shave them from kit sprues but they would be too small.

Regards,

They're OK, just can't see when lines are straight without optivisors. (astigmatism). I first noticed it when I was at the end of my police career. Horizontal and verticle lines go out of focus. I would look at license plates and they would blur. With magnification, I don't have the problem.

I also discovered something else today. When everybody was saying Testarossa, that means red head in Italian, you can't paint it yellow. Remember? Well read this.

The Testarossa name, which means “red head” in Italian, comes from the red-painted cam covers on the flat-12 engine. The double entendre with a red-headed woman was intentional – Ferrari and Pininfarina regularly use descriptive terms related to a female’s body when describing the style of their automobiles., so, you saw what color I painted the cam covers for the engine? :pp :pp :pp So there! Its the heads/cam covers that are red, not the car body! :D

heads-1.jpg

Ferrari_Testarossa_Motor_1.jpg

Way ahead of you on the fonts. I can replicate the other letters and I'll scratch the f with the long upper horizontal. Should be easy. The Testarossa letters are easy, they are just connected together with a line. The engine's really detailed, but the more I look, the more additional detailing I'm going to need.

Thats a sweet looking engine. My 612 engine doesn't even comes close to that amount of detail.

Joe

Thats a sweet looking engine. My 612 engine doesn't even comes close to that amount of detail.

Joe

Hey Joe, cut yourself some slack! This is 1/8th scale, you are working in 1/24th. Hello! Big difference! Know what I mean? Hang in there man, you're doing great!

Bob

BoB ,

WoW ! Great lookin finish on this Beast !! Awesome Idea with th styrene Letters ..... Sorry 'bout th MIsspelling, Where's spell Check when you need it :D

WoW , Yeah Baby !!!! Rock-on Big Daddy !! :erik

You have th Magic Touch !!!

Back