• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Model Cars, Trucks and Motorcycles.Update 4/30/19

A Pocher Ferrari Testarossa Finished, June 13th

Yeah your right about affording them. They all make you stop in your tracks when you see one.

Yeah your right about affording them. They all make you stop in your tracks when you see one.

Hey, even if I can't ever have one, they do make the world a better place, right? And..... there are always model of them!

The Lamborghinis are going for around $300K I hear!

Bob

Hi Bob
Well this is going to be fun...to watch :cheer:

Yellow is a tough color to paint, are you going to strip it down to bare metal and start from scratch?

Tom

Hi Bob
Well this is going to be fun...to watch :cheer:

Yellow is a tough color to paint, are you going to strip it down to bare metal and start from scratch?

Tom

Thanks Tom,

No, I'll sand it enough for the undercoat to have something to grab, a yellow primer, and then a high gloss yellow, paint, several coats, building light to heavy. Probably 6 to 8 coats. This is a large scale model and can handle that many coats. then wait a couple of months to really harden!

To be truthful, when painting gloss, all colors are the same. It is only with figures that whites, blacks and yellows are difficult to weather. At least for me that is.

Bob

Well, I got a little free time today. The weather was fantastic, so I did some painting outside. When possible, I always like to paint outdoors as the sun is brighter than any light setup and you can see every tiny flaw. The Kit I am using has a pre painted black body with a cream colored interior. I didn't like either, so, I went in search of a real car, yellow exterior, natural leather interior with the gunmetal dash and trim. Found it!

Here is the kit body before I started on it.

Ferrari04~0.jpg

Then, here is the car I want to simulate.

Ferrari-Testarossa-Yellow-Side-st.jpg

So, I sanded the body completely to prepare for the base coat. Since this was a kit that's selling on the web for almost a thousand dollars, The thought of messing it up was a consideration. I closed my eyes and went for it!

sanded.jpg

Once that is behind you, the rest is just routine! :v :v :v

Here is a shot of the interior I wanted to replicate.

FerrariTesrarossa14.jpg

So, After cleaning the interior parts, I painted the dash and other trim with gunmetal.

GunMetal.jpg

Then I used this color to replicate the natural leather. It will work after a couple of tricks to come later.

Naturalinterior.jpg

Next comes the undercoat, the primer for the new yellow paint job.

undercoat.jpg

So far, so good, if the weather is still great tomorrow, I'll give the exterior several coats of the bright yellow finish coats. This thing is so large, the exterior paint job is somewhat prone to running of the paint. There is a fine line between a good coat of paint that covers and one that will show dark areas due to insufficient paint. The only way to get this right is with lots of very light coats built up one at a time.

I have a little advantage because way back when, I had a part time job with The Sharper Image doing custom paint jobs for the Pocher kits while I was still a cop. I got $200 for each paint job. It came in very handy back in the 80s. Cops weren't paid anything near what they are today!

To be continued.

Cool. Your a braver man than I Charlie Brown :D
This is looking very nice (y) (y) (y)
James

Cool. Your a braver man than I Charlie Brown :D
This is looking very nice (y) (y) (y)
James

Thank you James, as I said, it would have been a more difficult decision had it not been for all those Pocher kits I painted for Sharper Image back in the 80s.

Is this from an airbrush or rattle can?

What will you be using the lighter fluid for?
tonyp-crop-1.jpg

Regards,

I always use spray cans when painting gloss, especially in large scales, 1/20th and larger. I have the top of the line airbrushes, Iwata, etc., and air compressors, but I have never been able to get the volume to cover large surfaces with an airbrush. I have used the spray cans for so many years, I pretty much have them down pat, and can get perfect, even, high gloss jobs every time. Back in the 60s through 80s, my cars always won the best finish awards. I know there are guys out there who can do wonders with an air brush even with gloss enamel, I just like what I get from the cans, so, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

I've always used lighter fluid to clean the surfaces I am going to paint after sanding. I quit smoking 16 years ago, but still buy lighter fluid. It's another of those, "You can't teach old dogs new tricks" thing's!

I always use spray cans when painting gloss, especially in large scales, 1/20th and larger.

I've always used lighter fluid to clean the surfaces I am going to paint after sanding.

Funny, I asked as I do the same. I use spray can for semi-matte work as well. The semi-matte is perfect for instrument panels and allows the use of dull (flat) or gloss for variety.

I stopped using lighter fluid much because I work indoors and the wife despises the smell. It is still around as it is the best to clean. Let's see if you did this as well. Many years ago, thanks to my vinyl record collection (33s, 45s, and 78s), I used a static gun and tack cloth to wipe off dust.

zerostat-discwasher-anti-static-gun-made-in-england_250800599462.jpg

Regards,

I always use spray cans when painting gloss, especially in large scales, 1/20th and larger.

I've always used lighter fluid to clean the surfaces I am going to paint after sanding.

Funny, I asked as I do the same. I use spray can for semi-matte work as well. The semi-matte is perfect for instrument panels and allows the use of dull (flat) or gloss for variety.

I stopped using lighter fluid much because I work indoors and the wife despises the smell. It is still around as it is the best to clean. Let's see if you did this as well. Many years ago, thanks to my vinyl record collection (33s, 45s, and 78s), I used a static gun and tack cloth to wipe off dust.

zerostat-discwasher-anti-static-gun-made-in-england_250800599462.jpg

Regards,

Nothing cleans like lighter fluid and then completely evaporates leaving no residue!

Yes, I did use those, in fact, I think they are still around here someplace. I haven't played a record since Hector was a pup. I still have the turntable, just never think about it!.

We need to get T-Shirts with Old School on them!

Regards,

I kept looking at that thing and wondering where have I see that, I know I had one but for what. then I saw...vinyl!! Bingo...

Still..

:popcorn

OK! Got it painted. I used 3 coats of primer and 5 coats of gloss Ferrari Yellow. Here are some pics.

[
Painted01.jpg

A side view.

painted02.jpg

Rear window frame/engine cover, Rear panel and front hood cover.

painted03.jpg

The headlight covers and the rear view mirrors.

painted04.jpg

The headlight frames.

painted05.jpg

Doors.

painted06.jpg

Rear shot of body.

painted07.jpg

three quarter front.

painted08.jpg

Another shot of the front and rear hood and trunk covers.

painted010.jpg

And finally, a shot from the front.

painted09.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the paint, no flaws that I can find. Now, I'll set it aside to cure for a month or so, and get back onto the big dio!

Bob

Looks great, Bob! Yellow is a tough color to paint, but you've made it look easy! (y)

Fantastic!! Just like the real thing (y)

All the best!
Dusan.

Back