• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ma.K Armored Raider Pk.f 85 Falke

Are those yours Mike??? That first one is really nice and VERY realistic. Awesome! (y)

Yeah, well, You got me there. Those are all ex GFs of mine. Except the second one who used to be my boss when I was a pilot in the merc forces. Tough b..tch, she was! :yipee

Those figs are not my own work, they're courtesy of Mr. Google. But I'm looking into getting one of those cos the one that comes with the kit is plastic and lacks details. She's also a bit heavily dressed. These states of dishabille here would be more fitting. Hot climate, see? Strictly for the needs of the dio, no other reason! :D

M

I finished the rest of the cockpit items.

SideEquip02.jpg

SideEquip009.jpg

SideEquip007.jpg

Headrest002.jpg

SideEquip004.jpg

More to come...

M

Those newly finished parts are quite well done Mike! The painting and finishing skills are really shining there. Maybe you could give a step by step on the next one showing how you got those results? :notworthy

Building is easy for me, the painting I am still a bit of a newbie. (again 20 years off will do that to you) :huh:

Thank you guys!

Dave, good things are long in coming!

Paul, I do have a step-by-step from earlier in the build. I post it here, hoping it might help you.

…all is in place for the paint. Same method as on the seat: first a coat of metal paint in the strategic areas, in this case Model Master Stainless Steel. Then I applied some liquid masking stuff with a sponge.

tn2p.jpg

sksg.jpg

Next the ‘primer’ color is sprayed (light gray) and then more Maskol is applied over a larger area this time (no pic). Then topcoat of RLM 66.

gpu8m.jpg

The Maskol is easily wipe off with a finger gloved in latex.

id63.jpg

Final result:

lsi3.jpg

vzr0.jpg

The intermediate step and double masking make is possible to have a more varied chipping effect, alternating between areas that are worn down to the primer and smaller areas that go all the way down to the bare metal. Looks more real this way.

ztln.jpg

The footrests received the same treatment.

l2ff.jpg

Here’s the latest.

8u0d.jpg

Wiring was undercoated in white before detail painting with Vallejos. Makes the colors pop. Silver paint works too.

hu91.jpg

More details with Airscale 1/24 placards. Those were laid down on bits of aluminum foil to give them a more realistic thickness.

p6xj.jpg

Armrests were ‘dirtied’ by spraying a darker shade of the base color (highly thinned) onto the center.

gxis.jpg

After that add the usual wash and dry brush and you're off to the races.

Hope this helps!

M

Thanks for that great "how to" Mike!! I really like the finish you ended up with and the masking medium makes more sense to me as well. What kind of masking medium did you use?

Looking quite nice! (y) :notworthy

Thank you both!

Paul, the masking medium I use is the Gunze brand. There are two types, one can be applied straight on the plastic and the other onto a painted surface. Other brands work the same, I guess. Just make sure you use the right type for the right type of surface and apply it with a sponge for best chipping effect. B)

M

Thank you both!

Paul, the masking medium I use is the Gunze brand. There are two types, one can be applied straight on the plastic and the other onto a painted surface. Other brands work the same, I guess. Just make sure you use the right type for the right type of surface and apply it with a sponge for best chipping effect. B)

M

Thanks for the info, it will help a lot. Tried the salt masking on a couple of models and was not impressed. Don't really want to mess with hair spray either. I know some folks have good results, but they really seem hoakie to me. Have used liquid masking before and feel more comfortable with it. (y)

You're welcome!

The masking liquid method is a quick and no hassle way to go about it. Much less fuss than hairspray or salt. And it is very easy to remove with a piece of latex or a gloved finger. It dries very quick and so does the paint if you use acrylics so there are no waiting delays. Plus it's fun!

M

Detailing of the engine is finished. Pheeewww. Thought I'd add a few wires and that'd be that but it turned into be a lengthier process.

The nozzle's damage comes from a hard landing... LOL

M

Back