• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M-24 CHAFFEE "DONE"

M-24 CHAFFEE "GETTING A HANDLE ON IT"

I'm waitin' on some pe for my TIger so, I'll be experiencing the fun soon...

No sweat! You can do it.

(y)

Yeah Have done pe on ships & of course aircraft. Will be interesting on the Tiger tho... I'm definitely outta my comfort zone with it :drinks

The engine deck grilles are parts you really want to add. Everything else is just gravy.

:popcorn

I'm waitin' on some pe for my TIger so, I'll be experiencing the fun soon...

No sweat! You can do it.

(y)

Yeah Have done pe on ships & of course aircraft. Will be interesting on the Tiger tho... I'm definitely outta my comfort zone with it :drinks

The engine deck grilles are parts you really want to add. Everything else is just gravy.

:popcorn
(y) It comes with pe grilles. Not sure what-all will be sent to meso, I gotta wait until it gets here

Nice work T! Would love to see a SBS on how you did the weld beads. That's a skill I haven't quite mastered yet.

Nice work T! Would love to see a SBS on how you did the weld beads. That's a skill I haven't quite mastered yet.

Well I've got some more to do so I'll see what I can do.

Thanks

B)

Update time.....first the the track runs are done.

DSC04550.JPG

Next more hull details....replaced kit headlights with resin from Verlinden. Then added PE brush guards from Verlinden.

DSC04551.JPG

DSC04552.JPG

Next I added the mounting steps which are typical on the World War II version. These are made of copper wire.

DSC04560.JPG

I added some more weld beads....and this is how it went.

Using styrene rod I apply it the area that needs a weld with liquid cement.

DSC04553.JPG

DSC04554.JPG

DSC04555.JPG

I then trim any excess rod and sand the rod until it is almost flat since this is a butt weld.

DSC04556.JPG

Then I apply more liquid cement to soften the plastic rod.

DSC04557.JPG

After waiting about 30 seconds using sharp edged tool I creat the weld bead texture.

DSC04558.JPG

Lastly the fenders are added.

DSC04561.JPG

DSC04562.JPG

DSC04563.JPG

Thanks for dropping by....More to come.

B)

(y) (y) Interesting how ya did the weld bead!
Back when I was a trailer mechanic I went out to Sharpe's Army Depot to fix a container trailer. Someone ran the tip of a forklift thru the side. When I got there, found the trailer loaded with ammo!! :eek:hmy: :frantic Aint gonna weld it so, broke out the caulking gun & laid a nice bead acrossed it & painted it.

Back when I was a trailer mechanic I went out to Sharpe's Army Depot to fix a container trailer. Someone ran the tip of a forklift thru the side. When I got there, found the trailer loaded with ammo!! :eek:hmy: :frantic Aint gonna weld it so, broke out the caulking gun & laid a nice bead acrossed it & painted it.

Cheater! :rotf

Thanks!

B)

M-24 CHAFFEE "WELD BEADS AND THINGS"

Very nice improvments.,Terry...the weld beams look perfect! :good:

Luiz

Terry.

You are doing a smashing job with that kit. Hard to believe that so much time has past since that kit came out back in 1987. I got one from APC Hobbies mail order back then.

Terry.

You are doing a smashing job with that kit. Hard to believe that so much time has past since that kit came out back in 1987. I got one from APC Hobbies mail order back then.

Yeah I know there are better kits out there now, but I already had the stuff to upgrade the old one sooooo..... It's been fun so far.

Thanks

B)

Ok the figure parts came in yesterday and I got a little side tracked and wound up building the Chaffee crew up. With the help of some spare arms I don't think they turned out too bad.

DSC04564.JPG

DSC04565.JPG

With the figures in the turret you can see just how small the M-24 is.

DSC04566.JPG

DSC04567.JPG

Driver and Co-driver.

DSC04568.JPG

DSC04569.JPG

DSC04570.JPG

Thanks for looking in.

B)

Cheater! :rotf

Thanks!

B)

:evil: :drinks

I workded on the turret last night. The WW 2 version is setup somewhat differently then the post war version. It's good to have lots of extra parts laying around so don't throw away sprues with parts on them you may need them elsewhere. :eek:ldguy

DSC04571.JPG

Added more welds....a mixture of plastic and solder. I use solder when a weld has to go around complex curves. Notice also that I have added casting texture to the mantlet and turret face. These were cast parts.

DSC04572.JPG

DSC04574~0.JPG

The WW 2 version had a simple antenna mount as a opposed to the one cast on the later turrets.

DSC04573.JPG

I also added wire lift rings to both sides.

DSC04575~0.JPG

Still more to add, but this is a start.

B)

Back