• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The Figures Updated Feb 8th, 2021

Re: Logistics, The Figures Updated March 9, 2012

Looking awesome Bob :notworthy I've struggled with four figures :lol:

It has to be a nightmare to pack up the museum!

Tim

Calling it a nightmare is an understatement Tim,

It's a nightmare's nightmare. I have done it 6 times in my life and not looking forward to this one.

It took me and two guys a week just to hang all the stuff you see on the walls. Over 300 items BTW. Then there are all the models, hundreds of them, in the glass cases. The stand alone dioramas are not so bad.

So the camera was blurry and it wasn't my eyes! Mighty fine work and I wouldn't be able to see after such a sit down at the bench.

Regards,

Yeah Saul, I thought they had all turned out and by the time I got them processed and ready to post, it was late and I didn't feel like shooting them again.

Thanks,

Bob

48 years! Yikes. I have only been in my current house 11 years, and I don't want to think about just going through MY stuff. (Much less "helping" my wife with her museum). Good for you. I hope it is a great move and you get something that you have wanted, and loose something that you wanted to get rid of. (A swimming pool for instance. It could go either way!)

It's nice to see more of your work. The figures look great! They really set the hardware off. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, We have actually owned 13 houses over those 48 years, so, no, we haven't been in this one but 12 years, however, we have 6,200 square feet of living space completely full. It will be a massive undertaking, especially with the museum. No swimming pool though! :)

Bob

Great to see you on the bench again Dad...(y)

Thanks son,

You know, back when I was still working, I thought that when I retired that I would be spending several hours a day at my work bench and be popping out models all the time. Somehow, that hasn't worked out. Our lives have became so busy, we look back and wonder how we ever had time to work! :)

Dad

There is an in ground pool at our place but all I can see in it is some frogs and what would have been a great spot to build a garage :idonno

Tim

Hi Bob,

I'm late on this thread but the sherman and crew look great .

Lets hope none of this gets damaged in the move .

Cheers
Michael

Re: Logistics, The Figures Updated January 27, 2013

Just thinking about painting all those :S figs is giving me a nightmare!

Hi Bob,

I'm late on this thread but the sherman and crew look great .

Lets hope none of this gets damaged in the move .

Cheers
Michael

Hi Mike, It's been awhile!

Thanks, well, first I have to sell my house before we can move, and with this housing market, who knows?

Bob

Just thinking about painting all those :S figs is giving me a nightmare!

Hi John,

Wait...... they are giving YOU a nightmare?

I thought they were my own private nightmare! :yipee :yipee :bang head :bang head :bang head

Awesome work so far on the fig's Bob, I can't wait to see them all painted and finished.

Good luck w/ the move. My grandfather lives in Battlefield, and a cousin lives down in Branson, so I might actually get out into that neck of the woods at some point. I haven't seen my grandfather in probably 10 years, so I'm thinking about maybe going out to see him this summer for a few days.

Awesome work so far on the fig's Bob, I can't wait to see them all painted and finished.

Good luck w/ the move. My grandfather lives in Battlefield, and a cousin lives down in Branson, so I might actually get out into that neck of the woods at some point. I haven't seen my grandfather in probably 10 years, so I'm thinking about maybe going out to see him this summer for a few days.

Thanks Adam, I can't wait either! :gogo

Not sure we will be there by summer, I hope so. I figure it will take another 6 months to set up the museum after we get the house in order. That is how long it took back in 2007 when I sold VLS and I had some help then.

Bob

Just awesome (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Thank you Sir!

Bob

And finally. all of them together.

Easy19_zps42878a17.jpg

I'm really anxious to get started painting these. My earlier estimates of the numbers I have built was in error. As of this, I have 54 finished, and 201 built, posed and detailed. I still have an even 75 left to build for a total of 330 altogether.[/quote]

:notworthy :notworthy :blink :eek:hmy:
I just can't comprehend the amount of time and patience!

The figures are great Bob - I am speechless as to your dedication to this project.

Also the Jumbo with figures is beautiful.

regards
Ian.

your persistance and perfection is making me ashamed of my mojo loss.

your will is so strong - 330 figures ... that's madness at it's finest!

not to speak of that PERFECT sherman - a perfect model!

bob-sensei!!! :notworthy

And finally. all of them together.

Easy19_zps42878a17.jpg

I'm really anxious to get started painting these. My earlier estimates of the numbers I have built was in error. As of this, I have 54 finished, and 201 built, posed and detailed. I still have an even 75 left to build for a total of 330 altogether.

:notworthy :notworthy :blink :eek:hmy:
I just can't comprehend the amount of time and patience!

The figures are great Bob - I am speechless as to your dedication to this project.

Also the Jumbo with figures is beautiful.

regards
Ian.[/quote]

Thanks all around Ian,

your persistance and perfection is making me ashamed of my mojo loss.

your will is so strong - 330 figures ... that's madness at it's finest!

not to speak of that PERFECT sherman - a perfect model!

bob-sensei!!! :notworthy

And thank you Laura,

Because of our conversations, you two know why I build these huge dioramas. I was thinking some out there may think I am doing it just to show off. I hope not! Before I ever even started on the base, I knew this would be the job of my lifetime. I had always heard of this rule throughout my "public" modeling career. From 1945 to 1982, I was strictly a "closet modeler". In other words, I had entered a few contests here and there, usually through commercial companies, (F.W. Woolworths for example), but had never been part of a group of modelers or even knew another modeler. After I joined IPMS in 1981 and began competing in that forum, I was confronted with the fact that I was breaking these so called unwritten rules with my dioramas, mostly because of their size. Prior to that I wasn't aware there were "Rules". Since then, with each new diorama, I have purposely tried to prove those rules shouldn't exist. I have this strong belief that there should be no rules in an art form. If it "works", if people like it, then the hell with the rules.

As I would read books and magazine articles by the top modelers of the world, many of whom were my friends, they would be laying down tips and no-nos for building dioramas. So many have written about various things such as size, thankfully, they usually include me as an exception to that rule, but there should be no rule in the first place. When I began to plan Logistics in my mind, my thoughts were that, because of my age, it would probably be the last of the giant dios. I have built many dioramas in my life, but only five of the really huge ones such as Logistics. Of course, I wanted it to be my best and have put far more detail and time than any of the previous ones. I hope I have increased the quality substantially as well. I also wanted to break a long standing rule.

How many times I have heard that you should never put too many vehicles or figures in a diorama. That it would look like a parking lot or a soldiers convention. I understand why they have said those things, in many instances that could be true. But I wanted to prove it wasn't a universal truth. If, in real life, something exists, and has happened many, many times, then it can be modeled realistically, and military traffic jams are legendary.

By 1945, American and Allied machines, equipment and troops were pouring into the ETO from all the channel ports as well as the Italian and southern Vichy French ports. The amount of tanks and trucks were incredible. I have always enjoyed looking through wartime photographs, I can do that for hours on end. So many times I have seen these traffic jams and even several separate jams snarled in the same areas. there is so much going on, so many vignettes, dozens and dozens, that involve various groups, military, both Allied and German P.O.W.s, Allied wounded being sent to the rear lines, hundreds of refugees running away from the action, and towards the end of the war, many German civilians took their belongings, families and moved west toward the Allied lines to avoid the Russian army. Then, of course, in a cityscape diorama, there would be the residents.

That is what I want to capture, the drama of all those things going on in a single diorama. I think I can pull it off, you never know for sure until the fat lady sings, but I think so. I was really impressed when Lewis Pruneau, a buddy of mine for many years, built the "Cambodian Bus". It had over a hundred figures inside and on top and was powerfully dramatic. It told a story all in itself. Remember this?

fsm900501ashx_zpsaa194c3c.jpeg

Shep Paine, another good friend of mine, is one of the guys who have laid down those rules and he is certainly qualified to be laying down guidelines. However, a few years ago, we were driving from the airport to VLS one day and he suggested I build a diorama. His favorite military subject is Napoleonic and he said he would like to see a superdiorama of Napoleon and the retreat from Moscow, forging rivers and streams. At the time, I thought, "What about that size rule of yours"? But I didn't say anything. I ended up making a shadowbox instead called, "The Limits of Glory".

My favorite diorama of all time is his "Eve of Essling" It caught my eye waaaay back in the 70s. Enjoy!

Eve_of_Essling_Center_zps6d066140.jpg
]

Sorry, sometimes i get carried away with my storytelling! I really am an old geezer I guess! :D :D :D

I sure do enjoy what ever you share Bob.

This project is really coming along.

(y)

You're not showing off at all!! I find it amazing to watch the process you go through to build these amazing dio's. I've seen pic's of your dio's for several years, both in Shep Paine's diorama book, as well as like Super Diorama's, and a few others. So to actually see you working on one in progress is mind blowing for me.

Sorry, sometimes i get carried away with my storytelling! I really am an old geezer I guess!n

Old geezer to some perhaps, more like EXPERIENCED to me!

Regards,

Yeah Saul,

Experienced............. Yeah, Yeah, That does sound better than old geezer, doesn't it? :D

Bob

I sure do enjoy what ever you share Bob.

This project is really coming along.

(y)

Thanks Jeff,

Wish it was coming along faster than it is! :yipee

Bob

You're not showing off at all!! I find it amazing to watch the process you go through to build these amazing dio's. I've seen pic's of your dio's for several years, both in Shep Paine's diorama book, as well as like Super Diorama's, and a few others. So to actually see you working on one in progress is mind blowing for me.

Thanks Adam,

Yeah, sometimes I start to comment or answer a comment and end up rambling. This one seems like it is taking forever.

Bob

Hi Bob.

I just love it when you tell your stories. Your recent comments on nitpickers and diorama planning and size are refreshing and *EXTREMELY* encouraging to those of us who have been targetted. Just this week I was told by someone about all the flaws in the Academy M-51 kit I'm starting to build. Such can really take the joy out of building a model. Anyway, I shrugged off those "Negative waves" and will continue with my M-51 buld which is actually a kit bash since I decided to build mine as a welded hull version. Your comments and step by step tutorials are a real inspiration to us lesser mortals. I salute your dedication and preseverance.

Cheers

Back