• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Just a Sherman

Don't wait up, here it comes.

I got started with the washing and blotting when I realized I didn't put the decals on. Beating myself about that and Mike asked me if I had any dry transfers and the light went off. Even pulled out the coveted "Kilroy" on this one. Look, this is a made up scheme OK? I put Betty Boop on the turret and Killroy on the hull just to show something. There's an insignia on top but that's it.

I washed over the Betty Boop transfer and the turpentine seems to have reacted to it. Screw it, I like how it turned out, sort of looks like the knucklehead who painted it pulled the stencil off too soon.

sherman008%7E0.jpg

sherman009%7E0.jpg

sherman010.jpg

sherman011.jpg

Looking at the images here and comparing with everyone else, I think my mix is too thin. What do you say Professor Dad?

Wrong! It looks good to me!

I mean, what's wrong with it? When you dry brush it, add some chipping or additional weathering, It will look fine!

I usually make fictitious models. Where would I find the exact insignia for a column of eight Shermans, or 9 Deuce and a halves? You can find so many weird markings on Shermans, practically any scheme you could think of was tried. What were there, a hundred thousand of them produced?

I'll be honest, considering the start you got, I'm surprised it turned out so well! (y) (y) (y)

At this stage, I can't say mine look any different!

Hang in there Moonpup. You did good!

Dad

Thank you!

I tell ya, the one thing I was questioning was the blotting instead of wiping. I quickly learned what a difference it makes. Even if some of the pattern of the fabric is picked up, it's quickly defused and a random defusing of the OD apparent.

Can't wait to see what the dry brushing does or what you have in store for us on aircraft! :pilot

Got the tools painted, really think I like painting them off the vehicle than on it.

sherman012.jpg

I really like that Humbrol metal color, nice!

Did some of the follow up drybrushing and will try to do the tracks tomorrow.

I'm deviating from the course study a bit. I had to try blowing the wet pigments like Luis did, really turned out well but i didn't get a good picture of it.

Got the tools painted, really think I like painting them off the vehicle than on it.

I really like that Humbrol metal color, nice!

Did some of the follow up drybrushing and will try to do the tracks tomorrow.

I'm deviating from the course study a bit. I had to try blowing the wet pigments like Luis did, really turned out well but i didn't get a good picture of it.

Lookin' Good MP, Painting the tools off or on the vehicle is one of those whatever works for you things!

Dad

:popcorn
Hardly just a Sherman. Looks great MP.
The rear deck looks quite good with the brown weathering tinge.
Ian.

excellent puppy dawg

Heres a tip that I picked up a while ago but I cant remember who i got it from ( here,.. hopefully )

Painting the onboard tools if they are already on the vehicle

Slip some paper under the tool and paint away if theres any over painting it goes onto the paper and not the vehicle itself

:D

Ah, so you saw where I screwed up and painted outside the lines some!

Thanks Andy, I really suspect this will be the last time I paint the tools attached.

You didnt screw anything up Roberto They are painted really well and a quick pass over with the OD will hide the over paint (y)

the tip was just to make life easier :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen

How I'm I doing Professor?

Hey Bill, I used Alclad Steel on the tracks, alclad seems to have held up well against the Rectified Turp

sherman013.jpg

sherman014.jpg

sherman015.jpg

sherman016.jpg

sherman017.jpg

Again, I may be too subtle here. Whatcha think?

Bob,

It looks awesome buddy!
Thanks for the alcad tip. I might give it a try.
Keep up the good work. I like the way you are going.

Cheers,

Bill

I kinda like how the tracks turned out, not so much on the dry brushing. Again I think i'm being too subtle.

I like the coloration and the dry brush on this one better than the small one. Nice save on the tracks! :drinks Loving the Kilroy too!

I kinda like how the tracks turned out, not so much on the dry brushing. Again I think i'm being too subtle.

I like them as well. Very good effect!

When it comes to dry brushing, There is no way to be too subtle. It has to be built up in layers. I wish I had the patience to be more subtle on my own work. I improved my work during those years I was partners with Verlinden. When it comes to dry brushing, he is THE best I have ever seen. He has the patience to sit there for hours and it shows!

Bob

Back