• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F-102 Delta Dagger in the Delta

This is my latest progress on my Charlie Don't Surf submission.

I applied some Mr. Surfacer 500 on the top to smooth out the spine and fill a couple small gaps:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XV.jpg

You can see above that I also used my AV putty to fill in the slight gaps at the wing root. Some time later, this got sanded smooth. Now I think I'm ready to mask the canopy and start slinging paint:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XVI.jpg

Later on I applied a liquid mask the windows for the F-102 Delta Dagger:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XVII.jpg

Then I shot a primer over the whole thing when the masking dried:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XVIII.jpg

Thanks Bob. I've never had any luck with Micro Mark's Liquid Mask. I could never get the stuff off without ruining what I put it on. The Hobbico Liquid Mask has always been the best stuff to use for me.

Thanks James; I hope to get a base color down fairly soon. I still don't have the proper decals for this so I might just use whatever I have since I am flat out of cash to buy aftermarket anymore. I don't want this to languish just because of decals; I have enough models languishing and I need to get them done. No more waiting...

Thanks again for the great comments guys!

This past week the F-102 I'm doing for this Campaign was masked off on the bottom:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XIX.jpg

Next I shot the first of the three camouflage colors on it:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XX.jpg

This is still drying, I may get the other masking and colors on it this week. Stay tuned, I hope to have more to show.

Now that I had some time, I managed to get some progress done. Here's what's been done on my workbench lately.

I'll start with my aircraft. The F-102 I'm doing for the Charlie Don't Surf Campaign was first masked off on the bottom:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XIX.jpg

Next I shot the first of the three camouflage colors on it:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XX.jpg

This is still drying, I may get the other masking and colors on it this week.

After that, I started a couple simple models from Accurate Miniatures of a P-40 and P-51B for a Monogram Mafia Group Build on another boards. These are simple models originally from Monogram; I know because there was engraving on the inside of the wings saying Copyright Monogram and the year!

Here is the P-40 started; I had painted the interior and added the pilot (since there was no cockpit at all!) and then I closed it up and added the canopy:

WIP_Monogram_Mafia_2017_GB_II.jpg

After that I moved on to the propeller and cowl and assembled all that while the rest was drying:

WIP_Monogram_Mafia_2017_GB_III.jpg

Then I assembled the wings to have all the sub assemblies done and ready to assemble when everything was dry:

WIP_Monogram_Mafia_2017_GB_IV.jpg

Since I could go no further on this and since I'm supposed to do two Monogram models for the Group Build in order to be 'Made' in the Monogram Mafia; I also pulled out the P-51B that came in the same kit. I got the interior painted and the fuselage all closed up before I remembered to shoot a pic:

WIP_Monogram_Mafia_2017_GB_V.jpg

Later on I assembled the wings and dry-fit them to the model:

WIP_Monogram_Mafia_2017_GB_VI.jpg

Finally, I shot another dullcoat and then removed the canopy masking from my F/A-18 Hornet:

WIP_Modern_Aircraft_GB_XXIX.jpg

Now all I have to do is wait for my replacement burner cans, clean the canopy and mount the ordinance and this bird will finally be done.

Moving on, I was able to get the Sherman more fully painted:

WIP_Sherman_Mineroller_XVII.jpg

WIP_Sherman_Mineroller_XVIII.jpg

Later on I decided to shoot some white on my two Aerosans and move forward on them for once. Here's the smaller one shot first:

WIP_Game_Sleds_IV.jpg

WIP_Game_Sleds_V.jpg

The larger one was shot next. I didn't put the roof on it; I may leave it off:

WIP_Game_Sleds_VI.jpg

WIP_Game_Sleds_VII.jpg

Once these were dry, I painted a basecoat of Oily Black on the engines and painted the seats in the interiors. I also tried to paint the dials on the instrument panel of the smaller Aerosan:

WIP_Game_Sleds_VIII.jpg

There's gonna need to be some touch-up, but these are finally moving forward.

Moving on to some of my more eclectic subjects, I decided to experiment with some weathering and panel line pinwashing on the bottom of the Star Destroyer. I'm not that happy with the results under here; except in the shuttle bays:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_XIV.jpg

I think I'm going to do that over.

I also did the same deep wash on the face of the command module. I'm well pleased with how this looks so far:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_XV.jpg

I'll be dry-brushing with a lighter grey over this later on.

I did the same on the back of the module and on the neck as well. It looks well enough so far:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_XVI.jpg

Finally, I managed to get a lot done on my 20-mule team Borax wagon train. Here is the first wagon dusted up and weathered a bit:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_XX.jpg

This pic doesn't show the dust to good effect here. I over-edited it. This second wagon shows the dusting more accurately the way it looks in person:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_XXa.jpg

Then there is the water wagon all dusted up:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_XXb.jpg

Just for fun I tried to get a good shot of the whole train together sans mules:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_XXc.jpg

This doesn't look like what I see when I look at it so I tried it with the flash. I think this looks much better; it really shows the dirt to better effect:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_XXd.jpg

Now of course, I gotta do the mules. I had already showed where I painted the first ten mules. This time I broke out the Sotar airbrush and focused on getting the noses and hocks all painted in the white-ish color that these mules have on those places:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_XXIa.jpg

After this I can paint the hooves, blinders and harnesses and then move on to the final ten mules. I'm beginning to see the end of the trail for this model....

That's all I have for now for this week. I hope to get more done next week and possibly finish something else. Stay tuned everyone and thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Interesting, I've had the 20 mule team in my stash forever and painting the mules has always put me off building the thing. Yours is looking great (y)

Thanks for those comments guys but I still don't know how that got on here. I had posted that on the "What's on the Workbench" Thread, yet it popped up here instead. Then when I tried posting this again on the "What's on the Workbench" Thread, it wouldn't post! I had to try posting five times before it took. I may have to delete that post as it doesn't fit here.

Thanks again, now back to your regularly scheduled program.....

Well it's been awhile since I posted here but I finally have some progress to show.

I shot the camouflage grey on the bottom of the F-102:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XXVII.jpg

Later on I masked that back off to finish painting the camouflage pattern on the top. I had forgotten a whole couple sections of OD. Here it is with the Silly Putty and the new paint:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XXIV.jpg

This is the result after I removed the Silly Putty. There were a few places that needed some touchup here:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XXV.jpg

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XXVI.jpg

Later on I touched up those areas....

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XXVIIa.jpg

.... so I could gloss this for decals. Here she is ready for decals:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XXVIIb.jpg

That's all I have so far. Stay tuned; I hope to have this decaled very soon.

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Glad to see you working on this again, Duke. It is looking good and I can't wait to see it with the decals applied.

Cheers,
James

Back