• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Earth 2111

Pup , nice start , I've typed some long and windy blurbs but the session never timed out , even though I thought it would , .... odd .

I was doing the quick reply, should not have been. think the session times out quicker on that one.

Good stuff here guys, really good stuff!

SECTOR 08C
HIVE 47-CR

HIVE MEMBER 6 REPORT

CONTACT VILLAGE RICHMOND, FORMER US ROUTE 2 FIRE STATION BUNKER. LONE MALE. WAITING FOR INSTRUCTIONS...

Holy Crap a Hive???? A hive of what or who???? Insect organization could be brutal.

Good stuff!

Terry B)

SECTOR 01C

HIVE 01-HC
HIVE MEMBER 311 REPLY: HM6-47CR-08C

TEMPORARY OBSERVATION LONE MALE SUBJECT AUTHORIZED.

March 7, 2111

Journal Entry of Isaac Scribbleboard. Richmond VT

I finally fixed the solar bike! Took two days of some serious finagling and about a 3 pints of perspiration as its hot as heck in the bunker. I was tempted to open the door, but with that mess in the garage and the scraping on the door, I figured that I better just hunker down for now and get the bike in working order. I only have a couple clips of ammo for the SKS, and the .380, while I have plenty of ammo for that, is really just a toy. I want to avoid having to rumble if possible. My plan for the next couple of days is to continue moving North, deeper in to the much more built up Chittenden looking for radio parts in police and fire stations along the way. If I have to I will go as far North as Burlington or Cholchester, but I don't think I want to go further as I don't think my repair on the bike is long term! I plan on traveling by day, yeah yeah I know what Gramps would say, but I am blind at night and I don't know the area well at all and I think its worth the risk.

March 8, 2111

Journal Entry of Isaac Scribbleboard. Richmond VT 5:30am

Here I go...

March 10, 2111

Bemis Heights, New York Territory

Well...this is my first entry as the leader of the Gatherers. My name is David Morgan and I am sitting here on the cliffs overlooking the Hudson River where my ancestors once scouted the Redcoats over 300 years ago near Saratoga. I remember my grandfather mumbling something about this being a National Park or Battlefield where folks would come to drive through and visit...back when there was a nation that ran these types of parks. The cannons and other relics have long since been taken as scrap by scavengers. One can still appreciate the advantages these heights offer...centuries of warfare and disease haven't erased the importance of the high ground.

There are a sizable number of us survivors left. The transitions that have been forced upon us to survive have gone relatively smoothly as we have always had to manage living in these more isolated areas. The scarcity of oil and electricity and the luxuries we once knew have caused us to adapt. I was once a teacher, back when the state still ran the schools. Since the unions dissolved and the revolts took place in the capital, there hasn't been much need for formal schools. All my high school kids left to learn the old ways from their older relatives. We have learned to make do with less...and more importantly, to help each other out in these crazy times. Our currency here is more apt to be eggs, or cheese, or work done on a roof or well.

Due to circumstances, guilds have arisen to provide for the community, just as in ancient days. We have learned how to alter the chemistry of the soil so it can again yield plentiful amounts of food for our village...which is how we earned the name Gatherers. Tradesmen like carpenters, plumbers, and contractors are now called Crafters and they provide much of the equipment we use in exchange for food, fresh cider, and certain other "distilled" beverages. Former mechanics and engineers, now called Tinkerers, are masters at creating inventions that help negate the loss of electricity and modern conveniences. Solar energy is still used in many cases and has been expanded on when possible...as well as wind energy and hydro power being used to generate force when needed. We also have those who were former doctors, nurses, dentists, and professors-- those of a more specialized nature-- now called Sages. They have traded in their hospitals and offices for back shed labs where they get the medicines and treatments they need from herbs and roots.

There have been rumors of raiding parties through the grapevine. Folks who don't have skills taking goods and services from them that do...there is no organized military or any type of formal government around here to help police things. The guild leaders such as myself have formed a council of sorts and we do keep things as organized as we can-- making Bemis Heights a peaceable and comfortable place. With the river nearby, that peace is at constant threat. I am working with the Tinkerers and Crafters closely to create some "insurance" for when the raids make there way here. Some of the Sages are also devising ways to assist by working with gunpowder and some of the toxic waste we've cleaned up to create some additional accessories for the inventions. We may be a peaceable people-- but we won't be acquiescent when trouble finds it way here.

thumbs.jpg

OK-- I am not going to lie ;) It was bothering me that I paraphrased what I did-- even the little bit I did from the book I read...it was really that good! But-- I changed my story so now it is solely mine...nothing borrowed or influenced at this juncture.

By the way-- the author wrote another book, this time non-fiction, called "The Long Emergency- Surviving the Converging Catastrophes of the 21st Century"...really kind of frightening stuff-- but an interesting read nonetheless.

I am looking forward to this!!

B) B) Some great imaginitive wrting happening here and a fantastic concept.
Is this going to be a group build or something?
I have already strated on a post apocalyptic dio so it should fit with this. I picked up some sci-fi bits and pieces while in Japan at my favourate Hobby shop. Actually I was lucky as I was there only a week ago.:(
I hope they fix everything up ok. I wasn't really believing all this 2012 stuff and it just seems to be people making money on doom, but there has been some weird stuff going on the last year or so and even during this period since the turn of the century. I hope the're not correct.

Ian.

I think the proper term is Special Interest Group, but we really haven't named the concept other than Earth 2111.

Ian, I made a lot of money of the Y2K issue, just haven't figured out how to cash in on the Y2k12 issue yet. Keeping my options open right now.

Just start a new build thread on this forum if you'd like, or in your Masters forum. No start or end time, just git'er done... :mpup

March 17, 2111

Well...things are about to get busy as the spring thaw is finally seeming to take a toehold on winter. Planting season will soon be upon us...so I need to use the remaining lull as best I can to help the Tinkerers, Crafters, and Sages as they continue their R&D work. There are some good design ideas on the drawing board, and we are fortunate to have some young folks who have served in the military with us to help in the work. The Tinkerers are looking into ways to power the designs and the Crafters are continuing to scavenge for building materials. Scrap iron isn't too plentiful as of late, but we have found another ancient landfill and are quickly trying to find what we need from it.

The workers and designers are promising a prototype within the next few weeks...but time is a precious commodity to us...it's about the only commodity we have left except for each other...

Man oh man...where is everbody? I want to know what's happening to everyones storylines...this is worse than those Saturday morning cliffhangers ;)

Dallas Morning News April 6 2111

This morning at 5:00 AM RTSA(Republic of Texas Space Administration) launched Odessey 1 the first of a planned 50 global imaging satellites that will collect images of the earths surface and monitor weather conditions. Thousands were on hand to witness the launch; the first in over 100 years. President Burke said in a speech today that "This is man's first step back into space" and "Now we can gain a better understanding of the new earth on which we are living. We can begin to explore this new earth and reconnect with our lost brothers and sisters scattered accross the world."

End of Press Release......

Meanwhile at R.O.T. Central Command.....

"General O'Bannon?"
"Yes Captain"
"The package has been delivered"
"Any hitches?"
"No Sir the launch was smooth as silk! Operation "EYE IN THE SKY" is up an running"
"Transmit the beacon startup codes"
"Yes Sir! What our you orders if we pick up any radio traffic? Do you want us to respond?"
"HELL NO!!!! Not until we get a handle on who or what they are."
"Yes Sir"
"That will be all Captain"

Thursday, April 19th

Work continues amongst the Tinkerers and Crafters. They have been creative in how they have assembled and wired this new defensive tool. They are trying to design solar cells to power the vehicle and alow it to perform the functions needed to defend our town. Reports though the grapevine have noted an increase in the attacks from those who have little on those who have adapted. It seems to be human nature that instead of taking initiative to find ways to survive and function for their betterment, instead people find it easier to revert back to more primitive means of taking what they need from others.

The sages have been able to doctor up a mixture of alcohol and methane to power one of the weapons that will be on the vehicle...but much needs to be done to ensure the mixture doesn't "backfire" onto the operator instead. I guess the best description of this thing is a walker of sorts...I have enclosed a rough picture (no more Kodak labs around!) of where our progress lays...
4-19-11_012%7E0.jpg

June 16, 2111

Looks as though the guilds have finished work on the Sentinel just in time. Word has passed from some neighboring towns that the raiders are just down river in Schaghticoke wreaking havoc amongst the farmers that are still managing to make do. We've had a lot of rain which has caused some flooding near the river, but things have just started drying out enough for the corn to start peeking through.

The Tinkerers and Crafters have successfully set up a flamethrower of sorts based on a Napalm-like substance based on alcohol as opposed to the scarce gasoline. Testing it nearly cost them one of their shops, but luckily the rain was heavy that week so they were able to put it out pretty quick. One unlucky soul did get a bit on him and it took quite a bit of toil to get it extinguished. This thing ought to do quite a number on the raiding wooden boats I would think, but we'll see.

They have also managed to attached a chainsaw powered by the Sentinel's photovoltaic cells...it'll help in clearing land, but might also do a number on anything or anyone who gets in the way. We have managed to make 5 of the suits but need to plan out where to best deploy them. The heights over the river worked great for the Patriots attacking the British marching on Albany long ago...but the range of the flamers is quite a bit less...so we might be the old locks to use.

6-7-11_061.jpg

6-7-11_063.jpg

Back