• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

BROKENEAGLES: Me109G2 Eastern front late 1942 1/32

the canopy looks ace ian!

the plane dudes told me to dip the clear parts in future first, then mask, then dip in clear again to seal that up - after that you can use ca glue without problems and the canopy stays brilliant clear after removing the mask!

:popcorn

Latest progress..........

Canopy

Well I have managed to go through 3 forward canopy pieces during this build just trying to keep the canopies clean and clear. :angry:
How do you glue stuff to a clear part without showing glue lines? I have steered away from super glue to avoid the whitening of the clear. I have steered away from MEK to stop the melting, so I use a clear water based PVA style but still get a mess.
Any tips from you plane guys would be helpful as I don't seem to be having any luck.

I will end up having to use the canopy in an open position to help hide the glue through the canopy. It looks worse in Macro but still anoys me that I can't get a clean finish. The brass Middle section has nice detail so would be wasted if I did not have it open.

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

The canopy required a lot of sanding as I used putty to fill the gaps between the brass. I ended up using the full kit part under the brass but I think that you are supposed to 'cut up' the canopy - mine ended up being slightly longer than the space provided. :(

I added the very ruff welds found on the forward G canopy by using my heated engraver from Historex
Very simple effect and looks pretty good I think.

IMG_0391.jpg

canopywelds.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

:blink :blink

WOW!

Well thank you all for the tips and the kind words but I think the job I did on the centre section of the canopy is bloody awful - especially in Macro! :stinker
S I will :soldier on and treat that one as a practice, keep it for a more damaged plane and get another one out. At least I know the pitfalls to these canopies.
However all is not lost.......i have some other progress. I took off the rudder and drilled 3 holes in it and the tail, joined them with wire glued into these which then allowed me to set it at a better central position and strengthen the modification at the same time. I also added some block strip to simulate the hinges rather than leave a gap. They will look the part with paint.

IMG_0471.jpg

I picked some excellent figures from the Dragon set below. These are really well detailed and the poses are perfect, plus the uniforms are early to mid war. The figure with the jacket is very cleverly mouldered as the jacket is a separate piece with his shirt being fully detailed underneath.

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

So I will take these 2 figures and have them talking near the plane as they wait for the recovery crew. They are not ready for paint yet and still need more work so don't worry about the seam lines etc.

Initial Idea

IMG_0418.jpg

With the wooden base

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0451-1.jpg

I then felt confident enough with the balance to proceed with the ground work...........

IMG_0484at750.jpg

I have been considering layouts for quite some time to go with aseries such as this and even though the following idea seems very basic it has taken quite a while to work out. I needed to give it a fancy display that would provide information and give it a mueseum quality look, however I did not want to extend the size of the base beyond the wings. :bang head This presented me with a number of problems not the least being how to keep the plane bigger than the base but have a backdrop as part of the base. Originally I was going to have the black perspex sheet on top of the wooden platform and curve up behind but the wings 'folied this idea. I then decided to have the wooden base sit on the black perspex sheet and have it curve up from underneath with a large enough arc to allow the wings to hang over the back. I will have a clear perspex sleeve to hold the back plate which I will create in Corel Photo paint.
PERSPEXat750.jpg

Here is a mock -up with a piece of black paper.

IMG_0483at750.jpg

Anyway doesn't seem like much but the idea has taken a while and will look better as the finished product.

Some shots of the ground work.

IMG_0491at750.jpg

IMG_0490at750.jpg

IMG_0487at750.jpg

IMG_0500at750.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

This is going to be great,Ian!
O what am I saying.....This is ALREADY GREAT!!!

Love this build!!! (y)

Greetings,Ron.

Well thank you all for the tips and the kind words but I think the job I did on the centre section of the canopy is bloody awful - especially in Macro! :stinker
S I will :soldier on and treat that one as a practice, keep it for a more damaged plane and get another one out. At least I know the pitfalls to these canopies.
However all is not lost.......i have some other progress. I took off the rudder and drilled 3 holes in it and the tail, joined them with wire glued into these which then allowed me to set it at a better central position and strengthen the modification at the same time. I also added some block strip to simulate the hinges rather than leave a gap. They will look the part with paint.

IMG_0471.jpg

I picked some excellent figures from the Dragon set below. These are really well detailed and the poses are perfect, plus the uniforms are early to mid war. The figure with the jacket is very cleverly mouldered as the jacket is a separate piece with his shirt being fully detailed underneath.

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

So I will take these 2 figures and have them talking near the plane as they wait for the recovery crew. They are not ready for paint yet and still need more work so don't worry about the seam lines etc.

Initial Idea

IMG_0418.jpg

With the wooden base

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0451-1.jpg

I then felt confident enough with the balance to proceed with the ground work...........

IMG_0484at750.jpg

I have been considering layouts for quite some time to go with aseries such as this and even though the following idea seems very basic it has taken quite a while to work out. I needed to give it a fancy display that would provide information and give it a mueseum quality look, however I did not want to extend the size of the base beyond the wings. :bang head This presented me with a number of problems not the least being how to keep the plane bigger than the base but have a backdrop as part of the base. Originally I was going to have the black perspex sheet on top of the wooden platform and curve up behind but the wings 'folied this idea. I then decided to have the wooden base sit on the black perspex sheet and have it curve up from underneath with a large enough arc to allow the wings to hang over the back. I will have a clear perspex sleeve to hold the back plate which I will create in Corel Photo paint.
PERSPEXat750.jpg

Here is a mock -up with a piece of black paper.

IMG_0483at750.jpg

Anyway doesn't seem like much but the idea has taken a while and will look better as the finished product.

Some shots of the ground work.

IMG_0491at750.jpg

IMG_0490at750.jpg

IMG_0487at750.jpg

IMG_0500at750.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

I don't know how I missed this update Ian, truly inspiring!

UPDATE - SEPT 11 THE BASE

I have gone a little way further with the base and added a number of layers of Grey colored tiler's grout followed-up by A MUD MIX from Hudson and Allen then some Acrylic paint to match the gound color in spots (more as a test than any thing. I then used some sand for small grain texture in spots, added a bit of patchy grass and even a bunch of wild flowers.
Then finished with a pigment mix.
This will now dry and receive some airbrushing with Acrylic paints, then detailing and shadowing with oils and pigments.

IMG_0503smallerjpg.jpg

IMG_0501small.jpg

IMG_0508smaller.jpg

IMG_0510smaller.jpg

The plane is progressing slowly - I am redoing the forward canopy and are presently in the middle of painting the cockpit.

IMG_0506smaller.jpg

I went to bed and missed this post, great stuff Ian!! The base is shaping up nicely, I always learn something from your builds! (y) :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier :soldier

Thank you to all who replied since my last post. I will be picking up my acrylic back stand this morning so I will have another update soon.

Ian.

Back