• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

BROKENEAGLES: Me109G2 Eastern front late 1942 1/32

Very cool Ian!! I have never had the heart of tear up a perfectly good model, but this will great to watch.

Terry (y)

Making changes............... :popcorn

I continued on my merry way and are really enjoying this one (nice break from armor ;) ).

The tail section needed more work to bring it back to a G2.

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

The props were bent to simulate the belly landing , however i got a bit too enthusiastic on the upper blade and snapped it so it needed some re-work. The prop ends didn't fit the holes I had drilled into the replacement spinner,
so rather than risk the spinner with damage I thinned out the prop mounts to fit the holes.

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

The body got some more attention with some basic wiring and sanding. The left side of the cockpit needed the mounts for the umbrella removed (North Africa mod), a lump under the engine cover and some very basic wiring added. I don't know if this will really be visible but I probably did this more out of fun than anything (IE a useless piece of over modelling on my behalf).

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

WING STUFF

Flaps were given a bit of life as the photo has them perfectly flat. I just made each side slightly more random as though there has been some cable damage or stress in the landing and once again , to me this makes for a more exciting scene to look at.

The Wheels were added even though they will be virtually invisible. I replaced the nice 'mid prod. G wheels with some awful early ones from my Revell stash of 109 parts. I did not want to waste my nicely detailed ones in case I need them for a future conversion. I have a massive 109 spares box of old bodies etc that are being collected for a Eastern front plane wreck collection point ( :laugh: one day).

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

Superb work as usual Ian!

I hope that you don't mind my removing all those silly Photobucket thumbnails. They don't work on many of the forum boards when using the preview feature and also redirect the browser to another location causing pop-up blockers to stop viewers (if they have the poop-up stopper enabled like I do).

Please PM me and I will walk you through using the Gallery at Modelers' Alliance like Photobucket, uploading in one shot, and one code to get all your photo codes in the post. You only need to create a new folder each time. Best of all, it is a simple code (no pop-ups) so you can use them at any forum.

Regards,

Don't forget our handy SBS on the Gallery. https://www.modelersalliance.com/how-to-use-our-gallery

we have no problem at all about hosting images here to be used on other sites. It's all about sharing the hobby.

Superb work as usual Ian!

I hope that you don't mind my removing all those silly Photobucket thumbnails. They don't work on many of the forum boards when using the preview feature and also redirect the browser to another location causing pop-up blockers to stop viewers (if they have the poop-up stopper enabled like I do).

Please PM me and I will walk you through using the Gallery at Modelers' Alliance like Photobucket, uploading in one shot, and one code to get all your photo codes in the post. You only need to create a new folder each time. Best of all, it is a simple code (no pop-ups) so you can use them at any forum.

Regards,

I will take you up on that very soon. Thanks Saul

Lookin' cool Ian,

I'm anxious to see where you're going with this one. But, I'm really interested in the 109 junkyard! (y) (y) (y)

That sounds great! Right up your alley as we say!

Bob

Lookin' cool Ian,

I'm anxious to see where you're going with this one. But, I'm really interested in the 109 junkyard! (y) (y) (y)

That sounds great! Right up your alley as we say!

Bob

Thanks Bob........there are a number of photos that I have been reviewing for some time that show pick-up points for damaged aircraft. Apparently the Germans had a very efficient system running during the war to recycle damaged planes from the front. I am interested in modeling either a scene at the front or the arrival point for fixing. I love to start it now but time is difficult to get these days as work takes more and more.

Ian.

:popcorn

Latest progress..........

Canopy

Well I have managed to go through 3 forward canopy pieces during this build just trying to keep the canopies clean and clear. :angry:
How do you glue stuff to a clear part without showing glue lines? I have steered away from super glue to avoid the whitening of the clear. I have steered away from MEK to stop the melting, so I use a clear water based PVA style but still get a mess.
Any tips from you plane guys would be helpful as I don't seem to be having any luck.

I will end up having to use the canopy in an open position to help hide the glue through the canopy. It looks worse in Macro but still anoys me that I can't get a clean finish. The brass Middle section has nice detail so would be wasted if I did not have it open.

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

The canopy required a lot of sanding as I used putty to fill the gaps between the brass. I ended up using the full kit part under the brass but I think that you are supposed to 'cut up' the canopy - mine ended up being slightly longer than the space provided. :(

I added the very ruff welds found on the forward G canopy by using my heated engraver from Historex
Very simple effect and looks pretty good I think.

IMG_0391.jpg

canopywelds.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

Back