• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Battle in the Low Countries 1940

Hey Randy

This whole thing is looking amazingly realistic. What skill, i'm enjoying watching this one grow.

Thanks for showing us all.

Ant

Thanks Ant :)

Joe, As I mentioned in my previous post the lathe does operate thru the overhead belt system like the real thing. Here is a short bit of really bad movie....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuYkQ2bxBv8

Randy

Hi Folks, Can not believe that it has ben 3 months since I posted on this!

Progress has been slow with some 1/35 stuff and working on the train layout getting in the way.

Anyway, work continues on the damaged side of the factory......

Doors for the loading dock area built up. Using the Archer rivet strips on this...

005-27.jpg

007-26.jpg

014-18.jpg

Tried for some damaged glass here but hard to see it!!

002-32.jpg

Not the final postion yet but will add some hinges and be done with them..

009-25.jpg

Next up is the roof over this area, going with corregated iron with a metal frame work....

016-14.jpg

015-15.jpg

Using some Campbell Scale Models roofing sold as 'HO Scale", scales out to little over 3 inches peak to peak on the ridges....

020-7.jpg

After cutting into sections I dip the foil into an etching solution...

025-6.jpg

023-10.jpg

009-23.jpg

010-24.jpg

012-15.jpg

007-30.jpg

This give some interesting effects to the roof pieces but I don't know if I'm real happy with it yet. Will leave it for now ...

Next up is the small lift that travels between floors....

The framework is styrene and the winch mec. is powered by an electric motor.

Found some great reference pics at a German photo site called 'StahlArt'....

003-33.jpg

My version are white metal castings from the train spares box.

006-34.jpg

007-25.jpg

001-31.jpg

The lift cage is some etch soddered together along with some plastic and white metal bits...

005-26.jpg

002-31.jpg

013-14.jpg

016-15.jpg

023-8.jpg

024-7.jpg

Need some doors and conter wieghts.

A quick note on the wood used in this project. I t is basswood that is 'stained' using art markers. I prefer this method for unpainted wood (very neat and quick drying)

In this scale I think any attempt to crave in wood grain comes out 'over scale'. I like to use a .0005 drafting pen to draw in the grain...

023-9.jpg

001-32.jpg

007-24.jpg

015-14.jpg

Now it needs some damage...

021-7.jpg

That is all for now.

As always your comments are welcome,

randy

The detail at this scale is great. Not just the super detail of each piece but of the overall building is great.

Thanks MP, I appreciate a man of few words :)

Thank you Laura

Thanks Johnny

Yago, Thank you my friend :) You keep me motivated looking at all your progress.

Hi Ant, O'kay, it is a little bit :laugh:

Thanks Slodder

Hello Massimo, Thank you for commenting

Thanks Terry!!

Looking at the comments I realized I forgot to post the last photos showing the lift in place. Threw up some wood around it just to see what it would look like, nothing glued in yet...

005-28.jpg

006-36.jpg

003-34.jpg

001-30.jpg

Thanks for all the kind comments!!

Randy

Randy, this is just an awesome build! I keep forgetting it's so small, the details are so spot on! (y)

MP, Thanks for commenting and while I'm at it, we never say thanks enough to you ,Bob , for all your work keeping the site going. Good luck on the Gallery fix :)

Hello Pavel, Thank you for the kind words.

Hi Mike, Appreciate the comments. As you well know, on these loooooong projects, the comments really help you to keep going :)

Randy

Hello All, Made some small progress...

More reference pics from 'StahlArt' Harald Finster Photogragher

001-35.jpg

003-32.jpg

004-30.jpg

Working on the ground floor of the damaged section of the factory. Need to build one last piece of machinery and add some benches, shevling and clutter.

The floor lathe is a modified 'HO scale' kit. The parts bin is made up from stripwood and the shelf is a resin casting from the spares box..

009-24.jpg

008-28.jpg

018-12.jpg

005-29.jpg

002-33.jpg

015-16.jpg

Next up is the wiring, plumbing lines and the lights..

Poorman's lathe and some acrylic rod...

004-31.jpg

006-37.jpg

006-38.jpg

009-26.jpg

001-34.jpg

The damaged wood is not the finished product.....

029-4.jpg

020-8.jpg

Getting hard to take photos of the interior with limited depth of field on my camera but
here goes....

006-39.jpg

052-2.jpg

054-1.jpg

044-3.jpg

That is all for now, as always, comments are welcomed.

Randy

That is just fabulous, Randy! All the details and precision of the craftsmanship are truly amazing! :notworthy

Randy, you are my personal hero. You are doing a great work, and the final result will be awesome.
Thanks for posting this pics and all work here.

See you!

Yago.

Back