• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy King Tiger

OK so how the heck am I supposed to get all these things together?????

I used a pair of Hobby Lobby sand sticks to lay them out

h46a62fc.JPG

and then I could just lay them on there and push them together. Note that sometimes they bunch up though

hfb0716f.JPG

So I used another sanding file to 'flatten them out' and also to check squareness

hf17ab28.JPG

and the end result came out ok

h7d824df.JPG

Now I just need to figure out which direction they face!!!!!!

There have been several articles written about track assembly posted at MA.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/sprue-u-tips-and-techniques/152421-individual-link-tracks-for-armor-made-easy

Direction? That's what the reference photos are for. :coolio

looking very good, but this is the reason after 2 kits that I am giving up on tracked armour.

Too tedious for me!!

:popcorn

There have been several articles written about track assembly posted at MA.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/sprue-u-tips-and-techniques/152421-individual-link-tracks-for-armor-made-easy

Direction? That's what the reference photos are for. :coolio

Mike, I cannot seem to find decent reference photos!!!!!

I have looked at the walkarounds, the academy pics, and some here too, and cannot tell which way to face them.

Help...please!

GOT TRACKS?

Life has been getting painfully in the way of modeling...why can't I be rich instead of just good looking?

anyhoo.....here is the lastest. I abandoned the method I had above & simply used the extra-thin type Tenax copy stuff &, wetting the center two recesses only, built them up 4 at a time. takes less time than I am letting on, and allows them to be flexible. Gel superglue attached them to the weels

As to direction, I used the box and my best guesstimate, as the HyperScale site has the tracks in ever direction except sideways! that plus I couldn't find a reference pi of the real thing that my "Mole-Vision" eyes

hef51483.jpg

could use.

Anyhooooooooo...Here is where I "be-at" (Street-lingo, for you non-urban types)

h6c8ebc6.JPG

h1d8ad61.JPG

h9cb7d98.JPG

he05df1f.JPG

h8bda0d7.JPG

Now it's on the weathering!!!

Looks good! Just make sure all the tracks are connected and you don't have any floating road wheels (meaning, make sure they all contact the tracks and the ground), check that port side last wheel. :good:

GOT TRACKS?

Life has been getting painfully in the way of modeling...why can't I be rich instead of just good looking?

anyhoo.....here is the lastest. I abandoned the method I had above & simply used the extra-thin type Tenax copy stuff &, wetting the center two recesses only, built them up 4 at a time. takes less time than I am letting on, and allows them to be flexible. Gel superglue attached them to the weels

As to direction, I used the box and my best guesstimate, as the HyperScale site has the tracks in ever direction except sideways! that plus I couldn't find a reference pi of the real thing that my "Mole-Vision" eyes

hef51483.jpg

could use.

Anyhooooooooo...Here is where I "be-at" (Street-lingo, for you non-urban types)

h6c8ebc6.JPG

h1d8ad61.JPG

h9cb7d98.JPG

he05df1f.JPG

h8bda0d7.JPG

Now it's on the weathering!!!

Tracks are backwards.... :rotf :rotf :rotf :tomato :tomato :tomato

Looks good, like Mike said, watch the connections and floaters. :popcorn

How much weathering are you going to do? I am not sure how long the last King Tigers lasted on the battle field. I remember reading of a Hunting tiger that lasted one week. Yes I know. I will start documenting where I find these tidbits.

How much weathering are you going to do? .

Really not too much! You can see some fenders are bent, out of place, & missing, but really some mud int he wheels and tracks, some streaking, and a few places of chipped paint, but again, not too much. This is a bit of practice for me in using dot filters, streaking (the paint, not personally), and some chipping.

My next challenge is to do a half-ass passable job on the face of the tank commander, and then get him on there. that is why the turret hatch is still open. If I screw that up too badly, (less than half-ass), I can just close the hatch.

Making good progress Bruce, this tiger is turning out nicely! Good luck weathering, that's going to be my challenge
as well!

:good:

OK Guys. I have have had little bench time thanks mostly to life in general, but I managed to get the dot filter done, the upper & lower joined, and now I have some mud in the tracks as well! Still have more weathering to do, but overall not too bad!

h41bcbf9.JPG

h1c966ec.JPG

h9ac8997.JPG

h5e39172.JPG

Back