• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Baltimore Clipper Build, this will take awhile..

Hi Moon, the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum is here. Well worth a visit with complete shops for restorations. I got to to shovel coal into one of the steamers once :coolio
Chattanooga is also home to the National Model Railroad Association. As far as hobby shops, there's just one, and not well stocked.
The General used to be here but was was moved to either Kennesaw Ga or Atlanta?

Tim

Ah, just googled, The General is now in Kennasaw. Wish we knew that when we visited Kennasaw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_General_%28locomotive%29
I forgot about the near battle that broke out over who owned it back then.

You know, that wouldn't be a bad meet up point for a road trip in the future.

Sorry for the hijack...

Don't worry about hijacking the thread Bob, frankly, this is more interesting than ship ratlines :lol:
yea, there was a heated feud over the General.
I agree with your road trip idea :dude The Museum is a "living" one and the steamer runs daily through the summer season ,starting in April, I think. Its a 3 mile ride to the shops where they turn the engine on a restored turntable.
The Grand Junction location has the displays of rolling stock, steam engines and first generation diesel's.
An afternoon well spent.

Tim

A couple of update pics, I have the fore and main sails gaffs on and rigged. also the Chasseur's name board is finished and the rudder preventer chains are there.
The real Chasseur was built as a topsail schooner that was modified by it's Captain to have the option to be rigged as a brig also. During the war of 1812 She and her bold captain had quite a reputation for fierce fighting. The Chasseur sank or captured 17 British ships.

Tim

h778b1c7.jpg

hd2fa7ba.jpg

I don't know how to pay homage to your hobby knife Tim. :notworthy

Just reading up on Capt Boyle, bold man he was to hold the entire British Isle under blockade...singlehandedly. (y)

Thanks Bob, Chasseur, French meaning "hunter" was a fitting name for the ship under Cpt. Boyle.

Tim

hb04a8eb.jpg

h23b0972.jpg

h1b8e4b5.jpg

hc3060be.jpg

h3e9b82b.jpg

Just some random shots of the rigging nearing completion. All the lines tied of to the belaying pins are left long till the end. then they will be secured with a touch of CA. I'll make the looped "hanks" that lay over the pins separate. This is so the lines will hang right and appear to be heavy.

Tim

It looks like it belongs in some Navy office or something. This looks more like artwork each time you post Tim. :notworthy

Beautiful Job Tim,

There was a period in my life when I built sailing ships and I know how much work goes into them!

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Bob

Thanks for hanging in with me guys :v
Your right Bob, but if I can find all the bits of stuff I've made and launched into orbit with the tweezers I'd have a good start on another one.

Here's how I'm adding the hanks of line to the belaying pins, much easier than wrestling the lines if you tied them off and tried to loop them like the real thing.

Tim

h8a11fbf.jpg

hc7100e3.jpg

hd218123.jpg

Back