• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Baltimore Clipper Build, this will take awhile..

Thanks guys, Wasn't able to get any updates as I've been in damage control mode with BOTH of our cars. A $2,000 dollar step backwards :facepalm :bang head

Tim

Starting on the mast's rigging.
The pics show - a close up of the foremast's forestay collar rigged to the bowsprit.

-The foremast's shrouds and how they are rigged to the hull channels using deadeyes and lanyards.I don't have the lanyards tight and tied off yet.

-The shrouds and how they were looped around the lower foremast top.

btw, sorry about the crappy photo quality I'm taking these with my phone. My desktop bit the dust and haven't installed camera stuff on the laptop yet. :unsure:

h2df85b2.jpg

hac5c2e1.jpg

hb27a6da.jpg

do you actually have to thread the rigging through the blocks and pad eyes?

Yes, all of the rigging would operate like the real thing when done. However, at this small scale all the lines on the model have to be secured with a touch of CA and white glue once they are tied off. the reason is to get the lines to lay right, either on the deck or over the belaying pins.

Tim

There is a skill, nay I say devotion, to that sort of a build, that I cannot imagine. 4-0 Bob!! :notworthy

There is a skill, nay I say devotion, to that sort of a build, that I cannot imagine. 4-0 Bob!! :notworthy

....it's dogged determination to get it done at this point :lol:

Thanks guys :v

Working on the foretop shrouds. It's pretty much all tweezers up here.

h19c4a2f.jpg

h6c935fb.jpg

Foretop shrouds done.

I've started adding the standing rigging. Sailing ship rigging is separated into to groups, RUNNING RIGGING and STANDING RIGGING. The standing rigging are those lines that were stationary such as shrouds and braces. They are usually treated with tare to protect them. that's why they appear dark brown or black in color. The running rigging is all the lines used to lift, set sails move yards or booms etc..
This ship has two masts, the mainmast which has a lower main and upper main. the other mast is the foremast. it has a lower fore a foretop and a topgallant(the top smallest mast on this ship)

Tim

h5acd41e.jpg

hf30967e.jpg

Back