• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

45 Years Later - a new Do-17z build - new pics 2-9

45 Years Later - a new Do-17z build

Thanks everyone for all of your kind comments. :notworthy

I got busy over the weekend and got the flaps PE all assembled. Looks great but what a pain in the can to assemble. I have a surprise this time, PICTURES!

45YL-054.jpg

45YL-055.jpg

45YL-056.jpg

45YL-057.jpg

45YL-058.jpg

45YL-059.jpg

Working on odds and ends right now. Will probably be getting on to painting it this weekend. Then even MORE tiny crap to build and add on.

45 Years Later - a new Do-17z build

That is a little mind boggling Paul!

this is when those watch repair skills come in handy!

Thanks guys!

Skills and tools Warren. I started applying the diamond shaped parts using just my optivisor. Just could not really see what was going on so I switched to my stereo microscope. Once I could see what was going on it went quite fast and easy. Most folks probably won't be able to see the fine details when it is done, but it is there. :D

Just a bit of info, the brass coin is a 5 Reich Pfennig piece. It is about the size of a US dime.

Thanks guys!

Skills and tools Warren. I started applying the diamond shaped parts using just my optivisor. Just could not really see what was going on so I switched to my stereo microscope. Once I could see what was going on it went quite fast and easy. Most folks probably won't be able to see the fine details when it is done, but it is there. :D

Just a bit of info, the brass coin is a 5 Reich Pfennig piece. It is about the size of a US dime.

I use a lot of stereo microscopes at the lab. Would love to get an old one someday for doing fine detailed work. they make it much easier to work on small things!

Keep it up, it is looking fantastic!

Uau, Paul, that is unbelievable!

I remember when I assembled mine These tiny things would just not fold over - not matter what I tried. Congratulations on a great Job!

Kinda feel embarassed to publish any Pictures of the Heinkel He-177 now... SOOO subpar. :blush:

Cheers

Alex

Thanks for your kind comments Alex! Do remember that I am a watchmaker and deal with micro metal parts day in and day out. I also did sheet metal prototyping (and circuit board prototyping) for 10+ years before that. I am going to be up front on the MPE for this kit, (that's MICRO Photo Etch) it is at best a challenge to work with, mostly though it is a pain in the can. :bang head

My experience with bending sheet metal helps a lot with manipulating this tiny stuff. Same process, different size. :blink The watchmaking helps a LOT with handling the micro stuff without messing it up.

One last thing, I took a look ahead on some of the MPE last night and the crosshair parts for the machine guns are total garbage. As there are only 6 of them I will make some new ones that will blow the PEJ away. (PEJunk) Made one on my He-51 ages ago and it wasn't that hard. It will be much easier this time though there will be 6 that all have to look alike.

Have the flap insides all painted and they really look great. More photos soon.

Uau, Paul, that is unbelievable!

I remember when I assembled mine These tiny things would just not fold over - not matter what I tried. Congratulations on a great Job!

Kinda feel embarassed to publish any Pictures of the Heinkel He-177 now... SOOO subpar. :blush:

Cheers

Alex

Alex, you are getting better with each build and I know a lot of us on here enjoy your work!!

keep it up, both of you!

:popcorn

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your words, friends. Although for the love of me I cannot also understand how someone would like what I do!!!!

Thanks also for the comments Paul I will answer them in PM later. I am between cases in the OR. And if the head Nurse sees me Surfing the net am I in Trouble!

Cheers

Alex

Alex, we all have our difficulties with some area of kit building. I should go and find some photos of some Warhammer 40k figures and tanks that are entirely hand painted with brushes. They would put almost everyone on this forum work to shame. You can get that good too! It just takes practice, encouragement, and guidance. You have improved a great amount since you started here and we all want to see you succeed! (y)

Thanks for your kind comment Luiz, always appreciated.

Struggling with building and painting the landing gear at this point. Looking at some photos in one of my reference books I discovered that the gear doors are spring loaded and the front of the fender atually pushes open the doors and then there is a rail on the side of the strut that the doors ride along. This also means the doors will go on after the gear is in place. Trying to figure out assembly order so I can paint this thing. Then there is a bunch of fine detail parts that will go on last. :facepalm

Back