• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

45 Years Later - a new Do-17z build - new pics 2-9

45 Years Later - a new Do-17z build

It has been a bit and I have most of the cockpit done. Paint, seat belts, photo etch and wash and detail (not that it will be easy to see through the canopy. While the assembly is a bit fiddly (actually a LOT fiddly!) Everything seems to fit together reasonably well. It is just that getting the pit stuff together is a bit of a challenge. I also found that it helped to have the spar parts installed. (not glued yet, bomb bay yet to build)

Let me know what you think.

45YL-011.jpg

45YL-012.jpg

45YL-013.jpg

45YL-014.jpg

45YL-015.jpg

45YL-016.jpg

45YL-017.jpg

45YL-018.jpg

More soon. :drinks

Fantastic attention to detail. In a word, inspiring.

Ian.

I see they got that same color pattern that makes it look like comic page from the newspapers. Excellent job so far. :popcorn

To be honest Bob, some of that can be fixed with a careful application of Vallejo color over it. Won't bother on this due to size and how much can(t) be seen with the canopy on.
I'm probably going to rework the radio wall though. (Not glued in yet) something just isn't quite right with it.

Also I DETEST Eduard self adhesive goo! I have found that xylene will dissolve it and not affect the printed color on the front side. I also don't care for the painted brass belts. The brass has spring back when you form it. That means it has to be bent past where you want it to set because it springs back a little. Needs to be dead soft but can't be annealed due to the paint on it. :bang head

Just re-stating the sentiments of others here.....AMAZING job Paul!!

:popcorn

Hey everyone, thanks so much for all your kind comments. They are all much appreciated. :notworthy

I did rework the radio wall and it looks and fits better now. I will post a couple of photos tonight showing what I changed. Then the next step will be to build up the bomb bay and all it's PE. Have 4 days off starting tomorrow so will see what I can get done.

Here is the revised radio wall. I moved it around a bit and added a couple of knobs. Now it is installed and I will probably be moving on to the bomb bay.

45YL-019.jpg

This kit is still moving along. Snails pace, but it is moving. Have the cockpit mostly done. The fuselage halves are together. Bomb bay parts are put together. Lots of little PE is what I have been working with. Airfix calls for the bomb bay and wheel wells to be dark grey. some photos I was able to dig up show the bomb bay to be bare aluminum. Another showing the wing being placed on the fuselage shows the bomb bay and wing spars as bare aluminum as well. No need for paint as the planes were not expected to be needed long or to last long.

The PE in the wheel wells is really touchy and a bit of a challenge to get installed. Once done it looks great! Have one down and one to finish up then I will post some photos.

OK, picture time again. I have been moving right along with this little build. The photo etch has been rather challenging. Very tiny parts that barely fit if you hold your tongue "Just Right". :blink

Here we go. . .

45YL-020.jpg

45YL-021.jpg

45YL-022.jpg

45YL-023.jpg

45YL-024.jpg

45YL-025.jpg

45YL-026.jpg

45YL-027.jpg

45YL-028.jpg

See next post. :bang head HA!

Back