• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

45 Years Later - a new Do-17z build - new pics 2-9

45 Years Later - a new Do-17z build

You KNOW that I try and keep my photo count per post at 10 or less. :D Anyway, here is the rest of this set. Enjoy!

45YL-029.jpg

45YL-030.jpg

45YL-031.jpg

45YL-032.jpg

45YL-033.jpg

45YL-034.jpg

45YL-035.jpg

45YL-036.jpg

45YL-037.jpg

Thanks for looking in! :)

Key-rap, That is some frog hair type of modeling.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys! This has been a rather enjoyable build so far. Yes it has been a challenge, but so far has built up fairly well. The overall fit of the kit is pretty good. I have found that I ended up with a little bit of gap where the engine nacelle fronts join to the front of the wing. My bad more than the kits. If I had not changed the assembly order I could have fit the parts a little better and there wouldn't be any real gap there.

I have discovered that the wing undersides end up with a tiny gap between the fuselage and the wing bottom toward the front but it isn't very wide. A little careful attaching and gluing of the wing undersides will keep it minimal and I have a CA trick that should fill it with no putty, and a minimal cleanup. (y)

I have always really liked the Do-17 and wish someone would produce a 1/32 scale kit. I am sure it would be quite possible and with the new 1/48 scale kits and the recovery of the last one off the coast of England maybe it won't be too far in the future.

Hey Paul

Now I finally found your Dornier Do-17!!! Been looking everywhere for it.

Absolutely amazing work. I am glad you have shown the black base (Primer) and the Alclad Aluminium on top. I am going to try the same in the Heinkel He-177. I am not sure if it will work with a brush, but we'll see.

When I built mine, I used a lot of PE from Eduard, specially for the bomb bay. Nothing fit. You make the work seem easy.

Eagerly awaiting the next installments.

Cheers

Alex

Looking quite nice from here Paul . A lot of fine detail and a giNt leap from the old Monogram .

Difficult to say About the cockpit color . The refference l pulled up today called for all cockpit areas visible from above to be rlm 66 from 1941 onward but I'm sure it wasn't that cut and dry.

Cheers, Christian B)

Hey Paul

Absolutely amazing work. I am glad you have shown the black base (Primer) and the Alclad Aluminium on top. I am going to try the same in the Heinkel He-177. I am not sure if it will work with a brush, but we'll see.

When I built mine, I used a lot of PE from Eduard, specially for the bomb bay. Nothing fit. You make the work seem easy.

Cheers

Alex

Thanks for the nice comment Alex. As to the Alclad, I will be honest and up front with you, it is made only for airbrush use. If you try to brush it on, the carrier will melt your plastic if it doesn't evaporate out of the brush prematurely. All of the Alclad products are very thin and only work with an airbrush.

:hmmm

Maybe it is time to build an enclosure to use an airbrush in.

Hey Christian, the cockpit interior is mostly RLM66 the black grey. The bomb bay and wheel wells I believe are not painted, thus aluminum.

I have the engines built, painted and mounted. (they are really looking good) I should have some photos up fairly soon.

Thanks again for looking in.

Hey Paul

Cheers

Alex

Thanks for the nice comment Alex. As to the Alclad, I will be honest and up front with you, it is made only for airbrush use. If you try to brush it on, the carrier will melt your plastic if it doesn't evaporate out of the brush prematurely. All of the Alclad products are very thin and only work with an airbrush.

:hmmm

Maybe it is time to build an enclosure to use an airbrush in.

Hey Christian, the cockpit interior is mostly RLM66 the black grey. The bomb bay and wheel wells I believe are not painted, thus aluminum.

I have the engines built, painted and mounted. (they are really looking good) I should have some photos up fairly soon.

Thanks again for looking in.

I have read that about a lot of engine compartments remaining bare metal. Makes common sense to me ( but who knows ). Wheel wells would not be normally observable, so again , makes little difference :idonno

Bomb bays ??? Research tells me B-25's bays were left bare metal, so why not.

Looking forward to more.

Cheers, Christian B)

Here are some new photos. I have been working on the engines the last week or so. Actually had them mounted and the cowlings on when I just couldn't stand it any more and took a couple of steps back.

The photos will tell all, and as usual there are a few more than I like to place in one post so they will be split into a couple of posts.

45YL-038.jpg

45YL-039.jpg

45YL-040.jpg

45YL-041.jpg

45YL-042.jpg

45YL-043.jpg

45YL-044.jpg

45YL-045.jpg

To be continued...

Only 2 posts this time. There will be more soon though as the flaps are being worked on. :D

45YL-046.jpg

45YL-047.jpg

45YL-048.jpg

45YL-049.jpg

45YL-050.jpg

45YL-051.jpg

45YL-052.jpg

45YL-053.jpg

More to come (soon)

Thanks for looking in.

Yup, that's always been my biggest hang up. It's just so obvious :idonno

Good job :good: . Cheers, Christian B)

Excellent save on the cowling braces, Paul- cheers! The thinning of the cowling is so neat and even- you've really got a fine hand at this!

How very strange. All these year I have believed that the struts supporting the cowling were of even spacing all around.

Great job (y) of updating the kit and useful info for future builds.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back