• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Asheville Class Patrol Gunboat

The noisy one is the Defiance. When they fire up the jet turbine engine for max speed, She makes a sound like 1/2 of a F-4 Phantom II!!

Holidays can be Model Days too!!
IMG_4179.JPG

Finished 40mm mount for Defiance. New pilothouse roof, and nav/search radar for VFFSB! Little brass wire, punched out .030 plastic card.
IMG_4180.JPG

I wanted so, to paint something. CSS Arkansas got her paint job today! Port side view. Bent the brass wire for Her boat davits.
IMG_4182.JPG

It seemed foolish to add the davits, before the cannons. Cut brass tubing for bow & stern Guns! This is for YOU 'Pup!
"It all started back in 1862.............." Starboard side view.

IMG_4183.JPG

Stern Guns mounted in the casemate.
IMG_4184.JPG

Bow Guns.

Starboard Armament Installed. Cut brass tube, ground on a battery Dremel, on low speed. Shaped the muzzles by a happy accident of having the brass tube bits deciding to spin on their own, with the Dremel!! :skipper :yipee
IMG_4185.JPG

Pirate Captain Serena surveys the progress. Portside guns installed. They still need a dusting of Tamiya smoke to take the shiney out of them. A light wash later, with some schmutz. CSS Arkansas didn't have a very long career, but She fought hard! Terror of the Yazoo River!!
IMG_4186.JPG

Last, but not least, the quad 40mm mount for kamikaze protection.
IMG_4187.JPG
:stinker

In fact, the Turret Mounted gun was a rapid fire 3 inch .50 Caliber. Not a 5 inch 45. More work to do here! Thanks for watching!

Actually it was 1860 when it all started but it's a mute point at this time.

Excellent work Chris, guess you don't have any problem storing things things when done. :popcorn

The forward guns are 8 inch, 64 pounders. the stern guns are 32-pound smoothbores. I did't care for the the Mortar-ish look of the bow & stern guns, so I added some gun barrels. I do not believe Arkansas had any 7-inch Brooke rifled guns, although Her armament was a mixed bag.
This is interesting;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tRkiapVu4E
Boat davits, modified Skywave USN boat, and Flagship Models Confederate flag. I'll cut it down for the Confederate naval Jack, however Arkansas only flew the early Confederate Flag. I have one, but in this scale, it would be GIANT!
IMG_4188.JPG

Bow view of the 8 inch 64-pound guns.
IMG_4189.JPG

Port quarter view 32-pound guns.
IMG_4190.JPG

a bit of rust, a wee wash, and the tattered Confederate flag, calling Her finished.
IMG_4191.JPG

Starboard side view, Davits & boat in place.
IMG_4192.JPG

The CSS Arkansas came from Shapeways. She's 3D printed. At only $7.00, it was hard to refuse! It isn't a very accurate model. It was still fun!
Beware Flagship Models flag decals!! :bang head :stinker I coated with decal film, and another with future, and threw 2 away before I got one, that looks like crap, but could be displayed.
The ship's boat is a Skywave part I modified, everything else I made from bits of tube, brass wire & screen I had lying about. :geek

Nice thanks for the info, I fixin' to build the CSS Texas, look for it coming to a Great Forum, soon ... :captain Great job on the Arkansas BTW :captain

Thanks Brothers! Clive Cussler wrote a non-fiction book called "The Sea Hunters" about his shipwreck finding hobby. He chronicles the Civil War exploits of CSS Arkansas, and that's where the inspiration came from!
:drinks

OK, enough dinking around. Back to the Defiance! Pictures show a sun-shade structure between the pilothouse, and the funnel. I had some bits lying about, so I made one.
IMG_4194.JPG

Trial fit, needs a touch of filler, but should be all right. :captain Using the TLAB method again.
IMG_4195.JPG

(That Looks About Right) :bang head :frantic

Back