• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Asheville Class Patrol Gunboat

When you sand your resin parts, I like to wet-sand, so none of the spikey toxic dust flys! I wash my hands a lot!! :bang head
IMG_4134.JPG

The reproductions came out almost pretty-good! The Defender 250 boat is a pleasant extra!
IMG_4135.JPG
:captain

When you sand your resin parts, I like to wet-sand, so none of the spikey toxic dust flys! I wash my hands a lot!! :bang head
IMG_4134.JPG

The reproductions came out almost pretty-good! The Defender 250 boat is a pleasant extra!
IMG_4135.JPG
:captain

Man, no wonder you're all up in the rum! :drunk

:popcorn

I found a cutaway of the Asheville Class PG.
Cut-away_of_a_Patrol_Gunboat_28493x62829.jpg

I'm gonna make some progress today. Lots to do! :captain

:skipper I wasn't happy with the shape of the pilothouse, and I found some p/e hatches, Sooooooooooooooooooo.........
IMG_4136.JPG

I got out me .015 plastic, and the Waldron punch set I inherited from ol' Chuck, and got busy fixing the profile, with bonus open pilothouse hatch! :bang head Capt Isaac Brown, of CSS Arkansas keeps an eye on the proceedings! :eek:ldguy
IMG_4137.JPG

The resin cast ladders & hatches looked a might chunky for this scale, as well.
She got her new exhaust stacks for Her Caterpillar diesel engines today! Much better!
IMG_4138.JPG

CA glue to hold the new bulkheads;
IMG_4139.JPG

A dab of accelerator, and wee bit of wet-sand. No Resin Dust here!!
IMG_4140.JPG

when you handle miniscule P/E parts, it's good to have 'bitty stick'em/hold 'em sticks. You can buy these, but I make mine.
IMG_4140.JPG

Micro Liquid tape is a contact adhesive. Dip your toothpick, let them dry, and then.........Model Fun! I attach my float planes to my Cruiser catapults with this too!
Starboard side progress :yipee
IMG_4146.JPG

Port side progress
IMG_4147.JPG

And now, onward to the Weapons!! Muhhu ha ha HAHA ha!
IMG_4149.JPG

Here's what the lil' Defender 250 FSB (Fast Small Boat) will, hopefully resemble
Defender_250_FSB_1_28282x17929.jpg

I have to make a pair of outboard motors for Her. BIG ONES!!

Snow Day! Model Day!!
Here's some more! The Defender FSB needed new outboard motors, so I made some. Start with l-shaped bits of .015 plastic card
IMG_4152.JPG

Glob some thick CA glue onto them. and accellerate!
IMG_4154.JPG

Sand to rudimentary shape. I cut, very gingerly, two slots into the stern of the FSB.
IMG_4151.JPG

Install!!
IMG_4155.JPG

IMG_4156.JPG

I'm trading horsepower for fire power here. I've seen these little speedsters all over. Some have smaller engines. Mine are BIG! No stern gun mount for this Lil' Lady.
Wet-sand flush with waterline hull
IMG_4157.JPG

2 400 H.P. Mercruisers make this a Defender 250 VFFSB!!

Womped up a gun barrel for the 5-inch gun turret. Filled bubbles, sanded, and sawed out the travel slot for the gun.
IMG_4158.JPG

Single Bofors 40mm gun mount goes on the stern, but not quite, exactly, in that spot.

IMG_4160.JPG

This is what happened today, so far!
Model Day!! :yipee

I'll bet there were no motorboat sounds made during construction either. :coolio

Nice work! :drinks

Back