• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

45 Years Later - a new Do-17z build - new pics 2-9

Heavens Eagle

Yeah you read it right, about 45 years ago I built a Monogram Do-17z in 1/72. The funny part is I still have the model and it isn't in too bad a condition. The point of this isn't to build the same kit again (Oh HECK NO!) I am going to build up the new Airfix tool Do-17z with all the goodies I could get. Still not sure if I will go for a different decal set (of which there are a few) For now it is going to be just build the kit and see what I can make of it.

In addition it will be a remembrance build for me as my wife passed away a bit over 14 years ago from cancer.

45YL-001.jpg

45YL-002.jpg

45YL-003.jpg

So here are the start pics. Lets see what I can do with this new one now.

45 Years Later - a new Do-17z build

I'm looking forward to watching this come together.

I bought to of of these this in hopes of superceeding that old Monogram kit but alas have not even got to the first one yet.

Will be watching with interest Paul.

Sorry for your loss Paul :)

Sorry for your loss Paul.

Looking forward to the build.

Your Monogram model looks pretty nice for a 45-year old build!
thumbs.png
Looking forward to the updated version, I've heard nothing but good things about the new Airfix kit.

Your Monogram model looks pretty nice for a 45-year old build!
thumbs.png
Looking forward to the updated version, I've heard nothing but good things about the new Airfix kit.

It was pre-airbrush (meaning I painted it with a brush) with the tiny bottle Testors gloss paints. I think part of why it has survived is that the wings and tail fit to the fuselage so well that they are not even glued. (I could take it apart) So when it was put away it was separate parts.

Have been looking forward to making the new build ever since SADave suggested a build to retry something that was built when we were kids.

Wow, that's older than me!

Fantastic job for back then, looking forward to this Paul!

:popcorn

My condolences on your loss Paul, she was a beautiful woman.

I also still have my Do-17Z that I built in the '70's when i was about seven or eight. Mine does not look anywhere near as great as your old model! I had also painted it with a brush and used the Testor's square bottle flat colors. I painted it thickly too! Mine also survived with only a few machine guns lost and a wheel too. I'll be watching your newest build with interest.

Many thanks to all for the condolences. It is much appreciated. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about her.

As to the kit, I jumped in and built up some of the tiny seat and cockpit yesterday. Then went and did some photo searches and need to undo some of the Eduard stuff I did. Nothing big (yeah it's 1/72 it's tiny!) No pics yet, (not really enough done yet) but should have some soon.

Hey Paul

This is going to be very cool. I am excited to see "the microsurgeon" at work. I am sure you will include the dent the Pilot made with his boot on the left rudder pedal in July 1940... Just kidding, I find your detailing so amazing!

Just be Patient with the Bomb Bay. What a drag to build.

Good luck

Alex

P.S. I am sure that not a day goes by that your wife doesn't think about you either, she is just in another "Level". :zen

Dear Paul.

45 years old!...beautiful model :good: ... just impressive!...btw great stuff on the new ones :good: ... :popcorn

Luiz.

Really trying to just build the kit with the after market parts. Have already found though that can't trust the instructions to get things right. So have dug out the reference and will be referring to it. :hmmm

Definitely not the 1/72 scale stuff I remember from when I built the first one. Everything is small and fiddly though that doesn't bother me too much. I have not really done much yet as I am trying to understand how the pit area all fits together. With understanding I can keep from making a fatal FUBAR. Will try and get some photos up in the next couple of days.

I have some photos for everyone. It has been a while since I worked on an aircraft this tiny. While it seems much better than the Airfix of old, I can see that there will be some issues with getting everything to fit nicely. Mainly just due to how things go together.

Here are the photos.

45YL-004.jpg

45YL-005.jpg

45YL-006.jpg

45YL-007.jpg

45YL-008.jpg

45YL-009.jpg

45YL-010.jpg

I decided to mostly brush paint the interior. Too much small stuff and it will need to be done with care. More to come soon. B)

Wow, that's older than me!

:rotf Me too! :tomato

SADave inspired me too, just finished assembling the stuff for my redo. Won't go back quite as far, but excited nonetheless.

Love to watch you work Paul, good luck! :popcorn

Mike

Back