• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Swords KI-84

Tell you what, they sure do make sweet looking decals. Very well defined but so small and fragile in this scale. Might be more workable in a larger scale.
I probably just needed an excuse to build this specific one anyway.

Thanks for all the encouragement, Christian B)

I really like where you're headed with this one, Chris! The chipping sets off the "green" and the decal scheme adds another unique edge to it. (y)

Thanks to all for your kind words. I have managed to finagle this little beauty a little further :) .
The pin was is done..

new_1_004.JPG

The markings have been sealed with a clear coat .

new_1_002.JPG

but the paint has been chipped a bit. Just don't make stuff like they use to !

new_1_003.JPG

Looks like I'm ready for a landing gear and some fuel tanks.

As always, comments are welcomed. Thanks for looking.

Cheers, Christian B)

I like everything about this, especially the chipping :drinks

Tom

Me to!
I did see once in a book[or was it the internet] Japanese aircraft with some realy heavy chipping,
makes me wonder; was the paint they used THAT BAD? :eek:hmy:

Great work Christian!

Greetings,Ron.

Hello everyone and thanks for for all the comments and encouragements . I have been trying to find a method of doing paint chips for some time now and I think I finally found one I can live with.
Unlike other people's work that was done with silver pencil I do not seem to have the artistic ability to pull that off to the same likeness as they have :bang head

Ron, for your question about the paint quality, I am not sure . I have read many articles and books on the topic of Japanese aircraft and it's still sketchy at best ( particularly shades and colors ). I even have some detailed accounts on how they were to be painted # of primmer coats and # of finish coats.

My assumptions is that the conditions under which they were used was probably pretty tough: Tropical heat, salt coral dust , diminishing maintenance capability and finally a shortage of paint probably are contributing factors. Our own planes did not look that great over there either if you study some good pictures.

Towards the end of the war the factories were sending out new aircraft with minimal paint with the though of them being painted in the field. I'm sure those were not quality paint jobs either.

I enclose my rendition ( such as it is )of a captured late war zero as painted from the factory.

zeke_52_003.JPG

Cheers, Christian B)

I LIKE it! I mean really like it! I can see the guy being rushed by his boss to spray some paint on it and get it out the door. Good work Chris, so what's the chipping technique you like best?

:) Well < I don't know that the next build will not be even different but for this moment it is :

Tamiya rattle can silver
A good coat of Future
I really like the hardness of the Gunze paint on top
Finally a relatively gentle scrapping instrument.

In this case I found it to be one of the smaller Micro-mark mini scrapers.

Cheers, Christian B)

Hi Bob, Mike. I would like to emphasize the words " gently rub until you see silver " . If you try to chip it you'll wind up with holes or trenches.

Mike, I need to get further on the build to post more pictures . Working it as much as things will let me at the moment :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

Hi James,

Glad you like the Zero. Quite an old Hasegawa build. Far from being up to date. Also notice that the guns have had some difficulties. One of the guns is between here and Texas with no replacement in sight.

If you will like I could post pictures tomorrow. I must admit having fun copying the paint job...

Cheer, Christian B)

Hello all, I have been playing around with the pesky little pieces that no manufacturer includes in this scale.

landing_gear_003.JPG

Some bit of sprue and brass. Still need paint but we're almost there.

Tried a few new ideas on the landing this landing gear. The metal clamps are one of them. The 2x4 looking item on the left is one of my trusty tooth pics .

landing_gear_004.JPG

Tried something new on the metal wheels as well. Unfortunately the mechanics let them get dirty. They looked like metal before.

landing_gear_005.JPG

now I need some dirt and assembly time but first a vacation so it'll be a bit before I post again.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back