• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Swords KI-84

No worries guys it's coming along . The only problem I'm aware of is that the transparency is non existent except in the instructions .

Guess I'll have to make the entire headlight and cover for this one. I just looked in the the Hasegawa KI-84 and it's not even mentioned in the instructions so I can't steal it there either...

I ' ready to start painting. I wish it was ! :pilot

Hello everyone ! I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Here's a couple of update pictures.

The main parts are assembled. The only item to give me any fit issues was the forward part of the fuselage but after inserting around .020 shim stock everything including the wing fairings fell into submission.

metal_018.JPG

Not long after that, I got my wish to shoot some paint, so here's what the model looks like after one coat of Tamiya rattle can silver.

metal_022.JPG

Being in a hurry was a sad mistake from my part as some flaws showed themselves at this point. :bang head:

Really should have been patient and shot some primer first since I would be able to shoot the real paint by now instead of needing to smooth out the defects .

Cheers, Christian B)

Comments are always welcomed.

Hello everyone,
I went and corrected the previous flaws and re shot it with another coat of silver. Neglected to take a picture but it probably would not be obvious enough to show it.

So, I'll post a few pix with the basic paint scheme. As the carpenter would say " Roughed in "

roughed_in_002.JPG

At this point, I want to say that I ran down the appropriate Gunze paints and mixed them with some Tamiya paint in a 50/50% mix. I love Gunze paints better than anything else. I wish they were readily available.

roughed_in_001.JPG

Of course you probably noticed I took the liberty to chip the paint before applying any coats of Future.

roughed_in_003.JPG

It's still sort of plain but that's about to change. Might have to abuse it more latter also.

Thanks for looking. Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys this has been an enjoyable build so far. Sorry Joey,but it's as green as this one's gonna get...!
PS. The current canopy was just a means of closing the hole while shooting some paint.

Thanks for looking B)

Well, there's been a small change of plans. After reading the instructions ( imagine that ! ),I realized that the plane on the box top was stationed in Saigon Thailand in 1945.
I wanted to stick closer to WW II so I dug into the spare decal box and shortly came up with this offering from AeroMaster :woohoo:

57_th_006.JPG

It is actually a triple sheet on Special attack squadrons. Very nice , and I actually found some aircraft reference pictures in my files.

57_th_008.JPG

guy_001.JPG

57_th_008.JPG

57_th_009.JPG

I used the kit decals for the detail items but soon found out that even Saul's advice for applying them was not enough to overcome their fragile makeup.

Nicely done decals but temperamental, so I was glad when I could switch to the AeroMaster sheet.

57_th_010.JPG

green_025.JPG

Still working the details before the next coat of future. I noticed their airplanes were a lot cleaner than what I would have expected for a Kamikaze squadron. I may need to exaggerate a bit.

Comments are welcome. Hope you enjoy, Christian B)

Nice work! Imagine if you used cold water, your decals wouldn't have been the kit roundels!

Regards,

Back