• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

hawkenstien 3...........finished

hawkenstien 3.............receiving now

Looks some busy in there. I dont think I'd have the patience to do what you are. Nice (y) (y) (y)
James

Really good stuff!

As for wiring and plumbing, try solder and do not forget to use looms. During airframe construction either looms or tie down straps were used for cabling and pipes.

Regards,

many thanks.

saul i am contemplating taking it out and starting again with the cabling and pipes.

joe

hawkenstien 3.............bad signal, repeat.....

well folks here i am again. tearing apart a model and then trashing my own work and restarting.

so after a lot of researching, a chat with a model builder that i have a large respect for, well.... a different plan was needed. so with that in mind i tore out all that was interior of hawkenstien. all the framework was removed. this allowed me the chance to grind out around the hatch door a bit to get it more to something that i like. then i used the tools at hand to try to get the framework right. i wanted to have a good foundation. still not sure it is right but it is closer than what i had before.

using one of those wire shape transfer thingies, a thick plastic for sale sign, paper, a scissor, a pencil, knives, and sanding material i began. i first got the general shape onto the paper and cut it out. i traced the shape onto plastic times two. cutting them out i glued one to the other and then rough shaped it, using lots of dryfitting to try to get it as close as i could. three sets plus three of the bulkheads were made. finally i had six builkheads i can use. they are still rough but they are a good general shape. as i do not have the entire side cut out these will work for what i need. i will clean them up though to make sure all fits the way it should.

pictures.

framework-4_zps88a8b02d.jpg

framework-3_zps76ad56a3.jpg

framework-1_zpsb0ba5834.jpg

framework-2_zpscbaab1ed.jpg

now before it is mentioned remember the bulkheads are glued in with white glue. just to try to give me the idea of what they would look like and what they still needed to have done. i also noticed that #4 and #6 are a bit off. they should be easy to get in line. my next session will be getting the spacing right and then trying to get some stringers on.

till the next time my friends.

comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

joe

I think for my next project, I'll try an Aurora kit... :yipee

This is looking fabulous...

well folks here i am again. tearing apart a model and then trashing my own work and restarting.

If you need more references, speak up. I am simply afraid of overloading you as I can see you tearing the guts out yet again! Yet, if this is what you enjoy... go for it!

Regards,

saul i can honestly say that i can never have too many references. i am daily surfing the net to find whatever i can on p-40's and i bookmark each page. just this past weekend i came across a photo of a fuel tank taken from near the access hatch. it showed the framework for the recievers pretty well. you have shared part of the wealth of refs that you have and i am very grateful. thanks to you i have pretty good refs now for the recievers and how they attach to each other and the a/c. if you have anything more on the battery, the framework, and the tail wheel assembly i would be in your debt.

thank you all for tagging along. i am happier with what i have now but stay tuned. you never know what will be found. something may show up that tells me i need to redo them again.

joe

if you have anything more on the battery, the framework, and the tail wheel assembly i would be in your debt.

Careful what you wish for!

Battery
h59c2b12.jpg

h395cbcf.jpg

h2ae6b30.jpg

hd2ad1bf.jpg

hcc0df1d.jpg

Bulkheads

h7dd9fe1.jpg

h533f1c0.jpg

hbf1282d.jpg

h7d2cdea.jpg

h9ac19a0.jpg

hb6b2d10.jpg

h9382aa1.jpg

h884a3e0.jpg

hecc9177.jpg

h180ff12.jpg

h750fca5.jpg

h6187b77.jpg

What? You'd like a closer look at the open panels under the horizontal stabilizers?

h624393f.jpg

hccb3340.jpg

haa52ca6.jpg

h0299930.jpg

now some will think this is a strange way to put this but..........

more, god please, more, lots more. more pics. please.

saul when i get to the home cpu i am going to save these with your permission. these are absolutely fantastic.

joe

saul re the bulkheads. do you by chance have the descriptions of what the numbers indicate?

joe

saul re the bulkheads. do you by chance have the descriptions of what the numbers indicate?

If you're referring to those in circles, they are part numbers to order replacements.

Regards,

thanks saul. been a rather busy couple of weeks. trying to take some time here and there for this build but all i seem to be finding is frustration. on my sixth rendition of the bulkheads. i just cant seem to get the look i am striving for.

joe

hawkenstien 3.............back to square one

well folks here i am. back to square one.

bulkheads.

after many attempts. many "failures", i have what i believe i can live with.

so,

out came the contour gauge.
out came the plastic "for sale" sign.
out came the sissors.
out came the drawings for the bulkheads as i eluded to earlier.
and after multiple attempts.

bulkheads-1_zps85c42c5b.jpg

bulkheads-2_zps665edb2c.jpg

bulkheads-3_zps34218de6.jpg

where the interior will be seen they have been notched to allow for stringers on the cut side. i believe i can now move forward and redo the interior additions.

all comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

joe

Well, I thought why did you tear it out but it does look better!

Regards,

glad it looks better to someone else besides me. was worried i had just settled.

joe

hawkenstien 3.............framing out...

just a quick update.

after the bulkheads i went back to the framing. now for that framing is needed for the radio, the o2 tank, the fuel tank, and some of the other fiddly bits. for that i started with the radio framing. using some .06 channel and .06 angle i began to form it up. two things come into play, needs to fill the space between the bulkheads 7 and 8, needs to be level. i measured, cut, measured again because i had short cut it, and finally cut the right length, glued, and let it set. while it set i started looking for an o2 tank. now this is different from the first rendition. i believe that what i am going for is more of an prewar to early setup. looking around i found nothing that would work. well then i saw one of the leftover 500 pound bombs from one of the 1/48 b-17 kits. i cut off the fin at the back and what do you know. pretty dang close. i cleaned it up and then found a rod that would work, cut a section off, split it, and then what do you know, i have the beginning of framework for the straps for holding it in. i next went to the radio transmitter/reciever. the set i had tried to replicate before was a scr 274. for my mind set now that wouldnt work. so i got to looking and tracked down the model that was replaced with the scr 274, that would be the scr 183. had to start from scratch. still pretty simple it seems.

well that is what has happened over the last couple of days. now for picture documentation.

the radio sets.

radio-1_zps1e8b6af5.jpg

they actually look decent compared.

http://www.radiomilitari.com/scr183.jpg

i did rework the fuel tank just a bit. then white glued the little bits i have gotten some work on into place to see where i am.

aft-interior-1_zps569062e1.jpg

aft-interior-2_zps110f01d6.jpg

aft-interior-3_zpsf107e0f8.jpg

to my eye this looks better. still some clean up on the o2 tank. for that area the real test will be when i start to hook everything in.

i have to redo the hydrolic oil tank, battery, dynamotor, and hydrolic pump. just taking things in step right now. when i get to hooking everything up i will be able to pull the sections out including the bulkheads and work with them.

so on to the next.

comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

joe

hawkenstien 3.............framing out...

Your builds look better all the time Joe. I like what you are doing here. One thing to look out for with the Trumpeter kit is the cockpit. For some reason Trumpeter shrank the height of everything by about a 1/3 But there are aftermarket sets that fix that problem if you want to go that route.

Back