• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F4U-1A * * F I N I S H E D * * Now with 'scenery'

ij001

As I mentioned in the -4 thread, I'll be building the Tamiya kit (almost) side-by-side. This one certainly requires a great deal more research/preparation and not surprisingly a couple of the guys on www.kiwimodeller.com have already jumped-in filling-in the sizeable gaps in my knowledge of Kiwi operated Corsairs. I would like to preface this build by simply stating that it will be my 'interpretation' of the available research and those builds I've seen all around the 'net.... I s'pose, in the end, that's what most modellers do with each project, but at the same time, I am conscious that the F4U does hold a special place in the 'hearts' of many of those guys on Kiwi Modeller.

But before commencing work on the -1A, I'll buy a couple of 'extras', probably an Eduard Zoom set and some resin wheels, as for decals - one of the aforementioned chaps on Kiwi Modeller is coming to my rescue with some spares from his stocks. So, that said the other reason to build this Corsair at the same time as the -4, is that it will be an interesting counterpoint in styles, the Kiwi bird will be heavily faded, patchy and weathered (as true to the research as I can make it), and will be finished in the earlier three-tone shceme. By way of contrast the -4 will be almost 'factory-fresh' with nothing but a couple of exhausts stains on an overall glossy sea blue finish.

Couple of profiles I found:

h73ab486.jpg

h0dfae49.jpg

h259f4f4.jpg

That last one is interesting, notice the fin-flash is angled back, and it's the same machine as the top one... Anyone know anything about that ?? - real or artists error ??

So that's it for now. I'll be starting work as soon as I have all the 'raw materials'. As with the -4 I really want folks to jump-in throughout the build with comments and questions. Stay tuned, they should be hitting the bench before the end of the month.

AFN

Ian

F4U-1A

I noticed that the first one and the last one is supposed to be the same plane NZ5315 so one of the artists is wrong at least about that fin flash

F4U-1A

Ordered from Ultracast this morning - replacement resin wheels (and some goodies for the F4U-4 and a Mosquito :eek:hmy: ), and from Hannants, Eduard canopy masks, a Zoom set and cockpit placards. All I need now is for the kit to arrive !!

Ian

F4U-1A

Can make a proper start on this tomorrow, a small box of Eduard goodiness arrived from Hannants this morning so I have both a Placard and Zoom set to dress-up the 'pit, (and masks for the canopy). All that's left to arrive are the resin wheels that I ordered from Ultracast in Canada.

Stand by for some progress in the very near future.

Ian

F4U-1A

So thanks to one of the guys on Kiwi Modeller I've now got my paws on the excellent Ventura roundels, but because Hannants are releasing a 1:48 RNZAF Corsair sheet in the next few weeks, I'll hold-fire on final painting until this sheet is also in paws, hopefully by combining the two lots of decals I'll hopefully be able to do the project justice.

So the 'New Plan' - I'll give the F4U-4 priority on the bench as I have all I need to finish it, but still work on this one, take it to the point where it's ready for paint then wait for the Xtradecal sheet. What could possibly go wrong :whistle:

AFN

Ian

F4U-1A

:pilot

...so odd isn't it. Once I picked-up this kit, it immediately started to come together. First I sprayed the internals, whilst all that was drying, I cut the rudder and elevators and assembled the outer wings - this is going to built 'wings down'

Next I carefully removed the molded detail as per the instructions in the Eduard Zoom set. Bringing-up-the-rear, I hand-painted some of the smaller cockpit details like the various cylinders, pumps, switch panels and console faces, finally a little light dry-brushing on the prominent fuselage ribs and the seat/bulkhead.

Two-and-half hours after opening the box, I am already further ahead on the Tamiya -1 than two weeks on the Hobbyboss -4 !!. And I'm not even doing it OoB, there's a lot of extras going in to this, especially the cockpit. Photos tomorrow, hopefully.

Thanks for taking the time to check-in.

Ian

F4U-1A

Hate to bring that up but the operative word here is definitely " Tamiya " Nuff said :coolio

Cheers, Christian B)

F4U-1A

I can't explain the odd markings but more than likely its a mistake by the profile artist...hope you can locate some photographs of the aircraft you want to model.

Matrixone

F4U-1A

Cheers, Les... I have been able to score some decals from one of the guys at Kiwi Modeller to build this machine:

h9f37582.png

Contemporary black & white photos of very similar marked machines:

h0f358bf.jpg

hab2dc86.jpg

If it ends-up looking something like this I'll be very happy indeed !!

h5da7889.jpg

AFN

Ian

F4U-1A

Cheers, Les... I have been able to score some decals from one of the guys at Kiwi Modeller to build this machine:

h9f37582.png

Contemporary black & white photos of very similar marked machines:

h0f358bf.jpg

hab2dc86.jpg

If it ends-up looking something like this I'll be very happy indeed !!

h5da7889.jpg

AFN

Ian

Nice, I could almost be talked into one of these :D

The pictures sure don't seem to reflect the artist rendition :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

F4U-1A

Great choice Ian, that aircraft looks nicely weathered and should be fun painting the model. Who says Allied machines need to be always neat and tidy anyway. :good:

Matrixone

Back