• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Swords KI-84

Hello everyone. I recently became distracted by this Sword model so I purchased one !

CAT_021.JPG

The kit comes in a very sturdy cardboard box ( no worries about crushing ) which I have not seen lately.

After opening the box, I found two sprues of highly shinny gray plastic parts

CAT_020%7E0.JPG

CAT_022.JPG

I promptly scuffed the wings with a fine sandpaper pad to check for sink marks and there were none.

Also provided is a two position canopy in a very clear plastic.

CAT_026.JPG

A very nice resin engine, wheel wells and cannon barrels.

CAT_023.JPG

And finally a very nice decal sheet.

CAT_024.JPG

The panel details are finely scribed in a very soft plastic. Sword also molded in sufficient cockpit detail for the guys that want to build out of box.

I like this model so well I started building right away....

Cheers, Christian B)

It looks like a nice kit! I hope you don't mind that I edited your post to show the engine as you picked the same image as above it.

Techmod decals require very warm water to loosen. The film may not soften and flex causing shattering if the water is cold.

Regards,

Hi Saul,
Thanks it seems I seldom manage to do a post without getting something wrong. :(

After looking at it again I think I stuck it in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it if you wish.

Many thanks for the decal tip. I have never used that particular brand before and the water does not stay warm long :pilot

Cheers, Christian

Re: Sword KI-84 1:72 scale

In my excitement I seem to have jumped ahead of myself but I will share the pictures I have, but first I want to thank James Knaus for helping me gather information on this subject.
Also I want to thank Moon puppy and Saul for helping me with posting on the site.

That said, when I first looked at this kit I wanted to just build it OOB. but alas when I looked for the seat belt I realized that the kit does not have one...What an oversight !

And that's how the trouble started...! While searching for a seat belt I discovered a true detail put away for a Hasegawa kit. So, out came the dremmel tool and this first picture is when sanity seems to have caught up to me...

cars_036.JPG

the cockpit sides ,floor and seat are aftermarket.

Again, the kit does not provide the now familiar PE dashboards but the resin one supplied is not too shabby. This is what it looks like after some paint.

cars_041.JPG

cars_040.JPG

Well, that's all for tonight. Hope to post more tomorrow

Thanks for looking, Christian B)

Hello again. We are now ready to put an engine in this beast.

cars_046.JPG

The sword people did a fine job on this one. I would say it looks equal to a Vektor AM engine but I saved 10 $ by not having to buy one.

Here's a black and white picture of a real one. For some reason it's really difficult to find a picture of a complete engine. The one of the sole surviving aircraft looks to be covered in oil and grime.

Homare_22_aircraft_engine.jpg

The kit needs a few item to make it look believable.

So, we added a few pushrod tubes.

cars_047.JPG

and an installed engine would never get anywhere without the obvious ignition wires.

y2_003.JPG

and here we are. Still short some plumbing but it won't be visible with the cowling installed, so I'm going to close this thing up before I decide to add anything else.

Thanks for looking and feel free to comment.

Cheers, Christian :pilot

Amazing detail for this scale, way to go Chris, looks fine. I was thinking at first that the push rod covers may have been a little thick but with the wires in place, washing and weathering..they look fine.

Thanks Bob,
that bright brass sort of throws you off a bit doesn't it. The ignition wires are probably a bit thick being .010 brass but I can't find anything in .007 or .008 which would probably be right on.

They just don't make them like they used to....Ahummm...!

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Saul, apparently the finish of the engine varied a good bit.

Cheers, Christian

Christian,

Be happy you don't have this book as I am sure you would try to duplicate all the details!

MAhayateF.jpg

MAhayate1.jpg

MAhayate_6.jpg

A quick way to go cross eyed then blind...
:notworthy
Great work on the Nakajima Hayate.

Regards,

Hi Saul, I see it but don't recognize it. Is it a book about someone detailing the KI-84 in 1/32 scale. I vaguely remember a couple of really nice book on Japanese aircraft from the nineties that were about the model itself but that's the limit of the memory bank.
Sometimes ignorance is bliss since 1/72 scale is rather limiting.

Cheers, Christian B)

Actually, Model Art usually prints the R & D Hasegawa uses so Hasegawa includes shots of their kits in there as well as any fixes needed. In this case, it was not for the 1/32nd scale kit (as was done with the Model Art Bf-109G-6 book) but after the release of the 48th scale one. The reason to get the book are the photos and super accurate drawings.

In such a confined space, ignorance truly is bliss and hinting is better than doing in many cases.

Regards,

Back