• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Workshop/Marquee Finished. Updated Dec. 19th, 2017

A Dual Project Updated October 17th, 2016

High tech meets old school stylings and the world (at your media room) is the better for it :v :lol:

Fancy!!! :ro: :dude

Thanks Bob,

Those old marquees were incredibly fancy A lot more fancy than this will be. I think I've spent more time looking for and buying materials needed for this than it will ever take to build it!

High tech meets old school stylings and the world (at your media room) is the better for it :v :lol:

Steve,

I hope you are right! When I do these kinds of things, I am going where no Bob has went before, at least this Bob!

A Dual Project Updated October 24th, 2016

I got some more done on the marquee. It is moving right along now. First, I have done all the drilling and fitting to the marquee itself. I had to do some sanding on the door frame to get a proper fit. The marquee base, as you see it is upside down. The bottom has been lined with wood strips that will enclose the button tufted insert and the slanted pieces will mount the scrolling work.

0_zps05bky1sw.jpg

Another view.

00_zpsecrzjprq.jpg

Then I placed the main parts together for effect. Some of the bottom scrollwork is now glued in place. Note all the 400 holes have been drilled out and countersunk that will give the miniature blinking lights some facets to reflect off of. It is getting near the point of a paint base coat. That;s my favorite part and that is when it will begin looking like a real marquee.

000_zpsc7xgq3sy.jpg

Another view.

0000_zpswu3oc7f8.jpg

Here you can see the scrollwork a little better. Remember, the marquee is upside down. The scrollwork at the bottom of the photo will be on top when installed above the media room door.

0g_zps6nytfwv1.jpg

Another view. Note the tiny holes for the 400 miniature flashing lights.

g_zpsfevdqncf.jpg

Here you see the wooden insert that will fit in the designed location after painting and the velvet covering is added. The diamond grid drawn on the insert has been drilled at each intersection of lines. That is where the buttons will be fixed in place to tuft the dark red velvet covered foam rubber.

gg_zpsdrhsrqxy.jpg

Here is the foam rubber piece cut to size and laying where it will be permanently affixed with a spray adhesive later.

ggg_zpsp2o0nlyl.jpg

And, finally, the plush dark red velvet, (Not fake, the real stuff), which was so common in movie theaters back in the day. It will be stretched over the foam rubber and the wooden panel beneath it and glued in place. Then the brass buttons will pushed through from the velvet side and pulled tight, creating the tufts.

gggg_zpsbltzlmin.jpg

To Be continued.

A Dual Project Updated Novemober 13th, 2016

Stunning work Bob! I an stunned to speechlessness! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :ro:

Thanks Duke,

So far, it just looks like a wooden box. It will completely change in appearance when the painting and weathering begins! It's far enough along now, I can see it in my mind's eye. As it progresses, I keep making adjustments, but the construction phase is coming to an end!

Bob

A Dual Project Updated Novemober 13th, 2016

Got some base coat painting. Not much to show.

ggg_zpshwgrrowq.jpg

gggg_zpsjzjsfg5b.jpg

gg_zpsjjgzpqqy.jpg

g_zpsx48vx7ug.jpg

As soon as this is painted and dry, I'll take the whole project down to my model room for further painting and weathering.

Back