• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Workshop/Marquee Finished. Updated Dec. 19th, 2017

A Dual Project Updated Aug. 24th, 2016

Love the shop Bob. I could very easily see burning many hours and days in there. :good:

I couldn't see myself burning too many hours outside if I had anything even remotely close to that.

Thanks for sharing Bob, that looks absolutely :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Laurence

I see just one thing wrong..WAY To clean! Let's get in there and trash it up some, gotta have some half built stuff laying around, some split paint, something glued to the table where the CA tipped over. OK that's what mine looks like.

Great work space Dad, glad you're getting settled in. :popcorn

Son, just wait awhile. Nobody is a messier modeler than i am! Nobody! My daughter Gail can't understand how I can create anything in the mess I make. She is a neat freak! In fact, by the time i get that marquee built, it will already be a mess!

Dad

Oh man, if I had a room like that....

I'd probably add a mini-fridge, hot plate and microwave and I'd never leave the place! Hey, can you come over and help me organize my room like that?

I have all that in the media room a few feet from the workshop.

Can you spot the hotplate?

IMG_2673_zpsnmumufgp~0.jpg

And in the media room, viola!

IMG_2539_zpsroql4hkl~0.jpg

A quick story. When I was younger, I always told Susan that i would like to have a large room, equipped like this, with a slot in the door so I could model non-stop as long as I wanted and she could slip my meals through the slot. And..... I was serious!

Bob

Love the shop Bob. I could very easily see burning many hours and days in there. :good:

I couldn't see myself burning too many hours outside if I had anything even remotely close to that.

Thanks for sharing Bob, that looks absolutely :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Laurence

Hey Laurence!

Thank you!

I guess I have been spoiled because I have been in the model business for so many years and that has enabled me to have a larger work area than many others. I have truly gotten spoiled. Here I am feeling sorry for myself because i had to downsize with the move, and after reading the comments, realize I shouldn't be complaining! It's all about perspective.

Bob

Perspective, that's something I remind myself of all the time.

Four years ago, I was modeling on the carpet, I had one cutting mat, one knife, one file and two brushes. Light was too bad where the table was so I had to use a lamp while laying on my stomach on the carpet. All that was in 2012.

Just like you said, a matter of perspective, in so many ways :D

Cheers,

Laurence

Perspective, that's something I remind myself of all the time.

Four years ago, I was modeling on the carpet, I had one cutting mat, one knife, one file and two brushes. Light was too bad where the table was so I had to use a lamp while laying on my stomach on the carpet. All that was in 2012.

Just like you said, a matter of perspective, in so many ways :D

Cheers,

Laurence

Yep, I did that once myself back in the dark ages of modeling, and for many years. My very first workshop was in 1977. I cobbled it out of scrap wood i had laying around in an unfinished part of my basement. That was so i could build the Winds of War.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/bob-letterman/1370-the-winds-of-war-my-very-first-diorama

In 1983, I started VLS in that same basement. When we moved into our first building, I was able to have a workshop built for me. At the time I was 46. So, you are close to that age now. I'll trade you my workshop for your age anytime. How about that?

It wouldn't be a very good deal for you. Right? Hang in there my friend. Remember, All good things come to those who wait and I can't think of anybody who deserves it any more than you! Remember how many times I have told you? Patience, my friend, Patience!

Bob

Bob, you don't need a slot in the door. I'm sure by now your lovely wife knows how to slip in, unnoticed and place the food at your elbow; Then slip quietly away without disturbing your concentration.
-THEN-
You'd move around, hit the plate with your elbow, the resulting crash would send you into a state of shock, causing the light to seem to dim-so you'd reach out to turn 'em up. Only to knock over the Thinset. So it drips on your lap, causing you to jump up hitting your head on the overhead florescent- allowing the mercury-vapor gas to escape and set off the radon detector (as if we really believe thatstuff really exists; being, manly men after all). No doubt something in all that spilling and commotion, will cause the carbon monoxide detector to be set off. Causing the family to have to rush outside into the blizzard /tornado /whatever.

Well, Just take my word for it.
Get off your butt, take the wife and go out to dinner- it's much safer that way.

p.s.
4346fefe.gif

Cheers!
beer2_zps8f4c0a1e.gif

Bob, you don't need a slot in the door. I'm sure by now your lovely wife knows how to slip in, unnoticed and place the food at your elbow; Then slip quietly away without disturbing your concentration.
-THEN-
You'd move around, hit the plate with your elbow, the resulting crash would send you into a state of shock, causing the light to seem to dim-so you'd reach out to turn 'em up. Only to knock over the Thinset. So it drips on your lap, causing you to jump up hitting your head on the overhead florescent- allowing the mercury-vapor gas to escape and set off the radon detector (as if we really believe thatstuff really exists; being, manly men after all). No doubt something in all that spilling and commotion, will cause the carbon monoxide detector to be set off. Causing the family to have to rush outside into the blizzard /tornado /whatever.

Well, Just take my word for it.
Get off your butt, take the wife and go out to dinner- it's much safer that way.

p.s.
4346fefe.gif

Cheers!
beer2_zps8f4c0a1e.gif

Yeah, after all that, I think I will take her out for dinner! :yipee

Bob

A Dual Project Updated October 4th, 2016

Well, the garage is finally finished! Remember these photos when we first got in town?

IMG_2294_copy_zpsjlvbuvvf-1.jpg

IMG_2292_copy_zpsgugpucgk.jpg

We can now park our cars in the garage. Here are the photos taken today!

IMG_2752_zpsmgup8181.jpg

IMG_2753_zpsxooihxjm.jpg

IMG_2754_zpsfkooqj7f.jpg

IMG_2755_zpsb26tdqxb.jpg

A bit of memorabilia that wouldn't fit the museum was put in the garage. That King Tiger was made and painted by Lewis Pruneau as a birthday gift to me right after we moved into a commercial space. The flag was the custom made VLS flag, the logo on it was designed by David Harper. The Corsair was from the Miniature World Museum in St. Charles. Here you can see the King Tiger sign above our first commercial office/warehouse way back in 1984. From left to right. Lewis Pruneau, yours truly, (God, was I ever that young?), Wes Bradley, Tom Gerringer, Judy Baggett, Don Wardlaw and Jerry Schulte. 32 years ago! I was a mere 43! :) In case you're wondering, Lewis is 6' 4" and Don is 6' 5". Two tall boys!

the-crew251_zpscdx1n9ov.jpg

The museum is now completely finished. All that is left now is the movie marquee that will be over the entrance to the media room. I'll build it in an SBS on this topic and when finished, I'll take a ton of photos of the museum and post them on the "A Private Museum" topic on my Master's forum. Not much more to go now!

Bob

A Dual Project Updated October 4th, 2016

Man, you do good work!
Nice to see the early store picture, gives a since of history to the "personnel display area in your private carriage house" :tomato [sub]never mind[/sub]

Back