• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wildcat F4F-4 the sequel

B-52? Hah.

All morning long there has been a B-2 buzzin around my house. Getting ready for a fly by at the start of the Rose Bowl I would guess. :eek:hmy:

Gary B)

Come on all you Marys , man up , ..... a little 151 , a little egg nog , a little nutmeg , ........... makes for a very colorful after imbibing Rorschach launch :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hmm...don't know about that, IIRC, when I took a couple of doses of that stuff I turned into the smartest guy in the room, also 10foot tall and bulletproof... :mpup

G Cooper wrote:
Bacardi151.gif

To achieve the desired result, there are two doses per container.

Gary obviously didn't get the optional nipple for this bottle which is REQUIRED after the first dose! Otherwise, expect to be soaked in flammable liquid as you miss your mouth, so...

DO NOT SMOKE!

Hell, it even tells you on the bottle!

Yes, Bacardi 151 and spiritus are my favorite mind numbers.
:woohoo: :silly:

Regards,

Kreighshoer wrote:
can anybody please explain to me why i would love to have a b52 now? :blink

and who can provide me with captain morgan, baileys and kaluha now?

B52, I forgotten about that...White Russian much easier to make thought. :mpup

Just to get this thread back on subject and to show i'm making progress

First banks of cylinders are done, moving to the back row hopefully by JUNE!

wildcat119.jpg

Thanks Sherm.

I love this Vector motor for sure. I worked on the back row tonight and discovered I should have worked from front to back. That way you can install the intake manifolds as you go. Just easier to line up everything. One thing about working with these Vector motors is you really need to plan ahead. Think about what you're going to do and how to do it. I've drilled out the holes on the back row where the push rods go a lot deeper so they can slide down inside the crank case, install the cylinder then slide the rod into place and a little drop of CA on both ends and voila. Guess I'm really making notes about how to build these types of engines for when I do the P47 with all the open panels.

Another fun thing I got to look forward to is making scratch made exhaust manifold. The Trumpeter kit part ain't gonna cut it, at all. And for this, I"m up for suggestions. :hmmm

Thanks buddy, as far as Matt is concerned, I have a suspicion he likes a good rear end also. :woohoo:

moon puppy wrote:
Thanks buddy, as far as Matt is concerned, I have a suspicion he likes a good rear end also. :woohoo:

Hhhmmmm :hmmm . I personally like mine just like a good crew cut :idonno .

High and tight ;)

Gary B)

Did I mention you have to think ahead about what you're doing? Wish I said it before I installed the intake manifolds. Here's the problem. The exhaust goes on BEFORE the intakes. :mad:

wildcat120.jpg

Here we are washed in a glossy black, it sort of gummed up but it looks dirty and grimy and that was the intent. I washed into the cooling fins and gave them more definition and highlighted the detail. As I understand it, these radial engines really spat oil all over the place so dirty it will be. Yes I need to touch up the push rod covers

wildcat121.jpg

I will have to remove the intake manifolds to install the exhaust, btw, the kit exhaust does not fit because the exhaust ports on the kit engine is in the center of the cylinder, they are actually cocked to the right side of the cylinder head if facing foward so that would make the kit exhaust part skewed from where it needs to be. I love this hobby..

I don't really have a full game plan on how to rework the motor mounts and all the stuff forward of the firewall so I think that I need to go ahead and get it build and get the fuselage built up so I have something to work with. the debate right now is, do I replace the mounts with brass or work with the kit supplied parts. :-?

The problem is the mounts will be playing a greater roll on this build than they do in the Trumpeter kit. When building OOB the mounts are really cosmetic because the kit engine mounts to this forward ring that really is overstated and totally incorrect, I mean, you can't fault Trumpeter, they didn't intend for their Wildcat to be shown this way.

I think I can show you all my problem.

Here's what the kit parts look like from firewall forward. From the build of summer 2008.

F4F2115.JPG

And here's the real thing. Hat Tip to Graham for finding this at http://www.midwaysaircraft.org/ they have some great pictures of restoration projects of all eras.

js640_Airwing_F4F-3_011.jpg

The difference is stark. Where the kit pokes out a good deal the real firewall is almost recessed back into the accessory bay. The distance in the way the engine is pushed out is the kit has that inner ring more shallow that the real one. I've found all sorts of documentation how the engine mounted in general, if not specifically to the F4F. Trumpeter only had to allow for the exhaust manifold. I"m going to have to get the intakes in there AND make sure the dimensions are the same so the engine doesn't sit further back that it's suppose to be...

And that's why i've moved on to the fuselage. :D Seriously, I got to put that together before I can think of how to mount the engine.

I can't put a semicircle exhaust manifold in place with the intake manifold in place. Don't know what I"m going to do so i'm just plunging ahead. Bulkhead that is...

Firewall before Eduards...
wildcat122.jpg

And after...
wildcat123.jpg

And what's up with this CA. can't get it to stick when the part is in place but once it's out of line it's like freakin soldered or something. Tell you the truth, I wish I was soldering this stuff, less aggravating.

It's a FUN HOBBY...
It's a FUN HOBBY...
It's a FUN HOBBY...
It's a FUN HOBBY... :D :D :D

Okay MP, I have a TBF, TBM, F4U4, Bearcat, and F6-F5. I'll send the engines down and you can call me when they are finished. Hmm maybe I should send down the firewalls also. Be ready by next month for pickup? :side:

James

The intakes sort of wrap over the exhaust. I'll try and find a picture of the real thing, if I haven't posted one already. But it's bed time for bonzo...

Oh, I I would still recommend 5 minute epoxy for the pe your doing there. A (my best Monty Python impression) "waffer thin" coat and it will stick where you want while giving a minute to think about it.
James

Back