• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Weathering Olive Drab WW II Interactive

hello all,
this topic is very interesting and I'll follow with great interest, many thanks Bob! (y)
In my opinion the 'OD is a color that can range greatly with weathering. I remember during my military service in Air Force I noticed that virtually no two vehicles with the same shade of OD.
For example, vehicles operating on runways were khaki drill, while the new ones were dark green

hello all,
this topic is very interesting and I'll follow with great interest, many thanks Bob! (y)
In my opinion the 'OD is a color that can range greatly with weathering. I remember during my military service in Air Force I noticed that virtually no two vehicles with the same shade of OD.
For example, vehicles operating on runways were khaki drill, while the new ones were dark green

You are absolutely right! I was in the army in the 50s. We were still using WW II trucks and jeeps. At the motor pool the O.D. ranged from a greenish yellow to almost a black green. I have always laughed at those guys who get nuts with the FS colors. Even in peacetime, there is no uniformity in O.D. or any other color.

Once my jeep needed painting. I went to the sergeant in charge of the MP and asked for paint. He gave me 4 buckets, all about 1/4th full, all different shades and told me to mix them all together and it would probably be enough. In combat, I'm sure it would vary a lot more than that!

Bob

I was in the USAF, enlisted in 1982. The uniforms I was issued were polyester but one set was cotton. Being in Texas in winter the cotton uniform wasn't so bad. I liked it better because I could get a razor sharp crease with enough starch so it was good for inspection. By the time I got to my Permanent Station that uniform was a greenish white. The polyester stuff was still OD and was hotter than anything.

Im love the advice Bob (y)

Regarding Chris Mersal, I hope this 10% discount includes purchases from his show stands and him lecturing me on how bad English food is
:laugh:

I can also testify that CRM hobbies are agood bunch to deal with :v

I don't know if that is valid at shows Andy, you'll have to check with him.

My mouth is sealed about English food! :D I have too many English friends!

Chris is as honest as the day is long! Good Guy!

Bob

As others have said Bob, I really appreciate you doing this and am looking forward to it. I have only ever built "as issued" due to my fear of ruining my work - but I'm keen as mustard to dirty this truck up (y)

The Humbrol paints have arrived, just the oils and artists turp's to go (and a dollop of spare time)

Made a solid start on construction over the last 24hrs, was hoping to get some paint on this afternoon but due to family commitments it didn't happen - back to work tommorow (8 on 3 off) so I get to watch and learn before I dive in :popcorn

My kit - 1/35 Italeri Deuce & a 1/2 Hard top and the 40mm Bofors AA gun - towed not mounted
Still have a few decisions to make, regarding the scene I want to create,
either - travelling (in convoy?), or
- AA in firing position with truck parked up?
At this stage I haven't even decided which figures I'll use. I usually go with a Commonwealth theme and although I have read that they were used by all allied forces, in all theatres of WWII I have yet to see a photo or reference article to support that. I like to at least find a photo to base the project on,so the're is at least a bit of historical realism. I'll do a bit of research this week :hmmm
That's one thing I like about modelling - It keep's my mind occupied whilst I attend to some of my more mundane tasks at work - I often come up with my better idea's while I'm working.

Those Shermans sure look ready for the treatment guys B)

Glad to have you aboard. Remember to start a new thread when you begin posting pics!

Bob

BTW, for those of you who have trouble finding rectified turpentine, Blick Art Supply has it on sale for 40% off the list.

Here's a link.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/shiva-rectified-turpentine/

While I would love to have been involved in this... at present time that isn't possible. I just want to say though, that it is really great to see a master modeler share how they do some of the amazing things they seem to manage with a model kit. It really is appreciated. (y)

While I would love to have been involved in this... at present time that isn't possible. I just want to say though, that it is really great to see a master modeler share how they do some of the amazing things they seem to manage with a model kit. It really is appreciated. (y)

Thank you for the kind words sir,

We all like to be appreciated!

Bob

You are absolutely right! I was in the army in the 50s. We were still using WW II trucks and jeeps. At the motor pool the O.D. ranged from a greenish yellow to almost a black green. I have always laughed at those guys who get nuts with the FS colors. Even in peacetime, there is no uniformity in O.D. or any other color.

Once my jeep needed painting. I went to the sergeant in charge of the MP and asked for paint. He gave me 4 buckets, all about 1/4th full, all different shades and told me to mix them all together and it would probably be enough. In combat, I'm sure it would vary a lot more than that!

Bob

Thank You Bob for this great information!

This tutorials has a great explanation of how and what you need to do to with OD, Thank You!!!

All the best!!!
Dusan.

Stumbled into an art supply store today and found some Fancy turpentine and artist oils. Just might jump in on this yet. :soldier

I'll reserve comment on my efforts.

James

OK, I have found the problem. This is embarrassing, I made a mistake on the colors. I have always used Humbrol olive drab for this mixture. I remember the matt 72 number as I use so much of it. When I wrote the list of Humbrol colors, I used their color chart to get all the numbers. I saw olive drab, matt 66 and copied it. This morning, when I went to experiment with the colors, I reached for the matt 72 and then, when I picked up the olive drab, noticed it was matt 155 olive drab. I never knew that Humbrol made two olive drabs. I mixed my olive drab, (155) and the matt 72 khaki drill and it was as it always was. I don't even have a matt 66.

Here are two sections of the Humbrol paint chart. You can see where I screwed up.Look at matt 66 and matt 155.

Humbrol01.jpg

Humbrol02.jpg

This is an explanation, not an excuse. I should have discovered this before I told you guys to order this stuff.

Now, I have 5 unopened tins of the correct olive drab, matt 155. I will send one to James as soon as I have his address and to the first 4 of you who email me your addresses. That's the least I can do. I know Moon Puppy, Terry, and a couple others have started on this already. Bill, (WDS), solved it already because he had some matt 159 which is no longer available.

I will edit the original post to read the correct olive drab.

Email me at bob@bobletterman.com

I feel like an idiot. All I can do is apologize. I'm really sorry!

Bob

don't feel that way! You are human. It's not like the wrong paint won't find other uses!

Regards,

Absolutely,stuff happens. I'm sure there will be a use for this shade. No harm, no foul.
James

It's all good Bob.
I had a old tin called U.S Olive Drab and when the 66 turned up it is exactly the same as I had suspected :laugh:
You've done me a favour actually Bob, as when I order my tin of 155, I will make the order worthwile and get a kit I've had my eye on for a while (1/24 Revel Monogram Dodge Dart) - Perfect excuse (y)

Look, all you guys. I really appreciate you giving me a break, but the truth is, when somebody sets themselves up as someone who is capable of teaching another, that person shouldn't be making stupid mistakes like that.

I'll continue on, but that embarrassed the hell out of me!

Sorry,

Bob

How many times have you tried to teach? I've been teaching kids for almost 30 years I've made a few mistakes, but you know what they come back the next week and say "what are we doing today". So you keep teaching and we will keep coming back.

Terry :ro:

Back