• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Weathering Olive Drab WW II Interactive

This is so great.

I do have an problem or 2. The mayor one beeing that a lot of these products will be unavailable or unafordable to me here in South Africa. Will you also be giving advice on difrent options or techniques using other products? Even just an general idea will help.

I sure am hoping this will help me getting to be a better modeler and hope to be able to join in here soon.

Well, you can try with other brands of hobby paint. I don't know what is available in South Africa. Can you tell me what is available?

The two things that are absolute are the rectified turpentine and the raw umber artists oils. I am certain those will be available at an art store there. Without those items, this system is useless. I have never been to South Africa, but those items are available throughout Asia, Europe and the Americas.

I'll help you as I can, but without those two core items, it would be like teaching someone to play football without a ball. There are other ways to weather, but most are more complicated. If this proves to be helpful, I may do some more. It is all a matter of interest.

Bob

Not really important, but Chris Merseal from CRM emailed me today that Matt 179, French Artillery Green is no longer available from Humbrol. No biggie as that was an optional color anyway.

Bob

I did some digging and Rectified Turps is called "Artist grade Turps" in most commonwealth countries. Will get some next time I have some money. Oil paints I have. Maybe not real good quality though. Will save up and get some winstors later on but what I have will propably do?

The paints we do have here very commonly is Humbrol and Tamiya. Geoff (Jugjunky) will be importing Valejo soon also.

All other paints have to be baught in though and is thus quite expensive.

Cool Dave! I got the cheap oils also, so if we show up to class without the right supplies we'll be in detention at the same time. I ain't sittin' in no freakin' corner for no one though!

I am easy to find MP. I am the one sitting in the corner with the Dunce hat on and the expresion of what the hell do I do next on the face.

Jeez you two,

You're making me feel like a P.O.W. camp commandant. :yipee

It is just a hobby, right? :idonno :idonno :idonno :idonno

The cheap oils will be fine!!

Artist Grade turps, eh? Really expensive there?

Bob

Got the model. Getting the paints tonight. Have the oils and the turp. See it's easy.

;)

Yep The turps will cost me about the same as the Academy Sheridan I want to get for the Vietnam build.

200ml will be about $25 US. Propably because the market for these products are so small. :bang head

Not really important, but Chris Merseal from CRM emailed me today that Matt 179, French Artillery Green is no longer available from Humbrol. No biggie as that was an optional color anyway.

Bob

I got some Humbrol 179 French Artillerry Green from several years ago in my stash.....and it's still in perfect condition!

What would you recommend for a substitute for the other guys,Bob?

Greetings,Ron.

Yep The turps will cost me about the same as the Academy Sheridan I want to get for the Vietnam build.

200ml will be about $25 US. Propably because the market for these products are so small. :bang head

OK, I think the last can I bought was slightly under $20. So, that's not too bad.

You know, I've been retired for 5 years now and every time I go to my LHS, i can't believe how the prices have increased. Especially paint. They are getting $3.79 a bottle for Vallejo. That is unbelievable! If you had to use that to paint rooms in your house with, you'd be bankrupt before you finished the John!

Bob

I got some Humbrol 179 French Artillerry Green from several years ago in my stash.....and it's still in perfect condition!

What would you recommend for a substitute for the other guys,Bob?

Greetings,Ron.

As they have cancelled it in production, I decided to work around it. It was one of the two optional colors anyway.

So you have a tin of French Artillery Green? Treasure it, Caress it daily, put it in a place of respect! :yipee Actually, I have a couple of tins myself. Gonna hang onto them now. There is no other color out there close to that! If everybody had found one, I would have used it, but sometimes I do and sometimes I don't when weathering O.D., so, no big deal!

.02$
I had to order the Rectified Turpentine because I couldn't source it locally. I also heard it through the "grapevine" (read : someone else posted it on the internet) that it is not available over the counter here in California. ( We have some uber-restrictive laws regarding solvents, paints, and VOCs) I found it at Blick Art, here:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/shiva-rectified-turpentine/

Comes in four sizes (down to 3 3/4 oz. for $ 4.35.) One could probably get away with a smaller (cheaper) size if you were judicious with it and only used it in the weathering process. No sense in using the expensive stuff for clean-up. Right?

FYI,

Bill

Hi Bob and fellow class mates,
I will be watching this closely and will probably have a bash at a truck or armor piece in 1/35. To be honest weathering scares the cr*p out of me so the only way to beat that fear is tackle it head on.

Question for Bob, I am restricted to enamel paints of which I have 2 options
1- Tamiya rattle can O.D.2
2- Tamiya XF 62? O.D brush painted
I would assume paint is paint but you never know unless you ask.
I am aware of the drying time but I'm a slow builder at the best of times ( Dont let me hold the class up either guys - I'll catch up :soldier )
I will be purchasing an airbrush in the future, and keeping an eye out for oils etc. Have a few of the required Humbrols in my den.

Looking forward to it, John

Hi Bob and fellow class mates,
I will be watching this closely and will probably have a bash at a truck or armor piece in 1/35. To be honest weathering scares the cr*p out of me so the only way to beat that fear is tackle it head on.

Question for Bob, I am restricted to enamel paints of which I have 2 options
1- Tamiya rattle can O.D.2
2- Tamiya XF 62? O.D brush painted
I would assume paint is paint but you never know unless you ask.
I am aware of the drying time but I'm a slow builder at the best of times ( Dont let me hold the class up either guys - I'll catch up :soldier )
I will be purchasing an airbrush in the future, and keeping an eye out for oils etc. Have a few of the required Humbrols in my den.

Looking forward to it, John

Hi John,

You're not alone with the fear of weathering. That is the sole reason I am doing this tutorial build.

I have never used the Tamiya spray cans. I would never recommend painting a model base coat with a brush, so I guess I would recommend the rattle can. Since I haven't used them, I have no idea how long it takes for them to harden, that will be your call. I imagine this build will be ongoing for some time, so not to worry.

Bob

.02$
I had to order the Rectified Turpentine because I couldn't source it locally. I also heard it through the "grapevine" (read : someone else posted it on the internet) that it is not available over the counter here in California. ( We have some uber-restrictive laws regarding solvents, paints, and VOCs) I found it at Blick Art, here:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/shiva-rectified-turpentine/

Comes in four sizes (down to 3 3/4 oz. for $ 4.35.) One could probably get away with a smaller (cheaper) size if you were judicious with it and only used it in the weathering process. No sense in using the expensive stuff for clean-up. Right?

FYI,

Bill

Hi Bill,

After 25 years of VLS, I am very familiar with California regulations. I love the state, but I'm waiting for them to outlaw exhaling as it is bad for the environment. We sold all the paints, artists oils and turps and had to stop shipping any liquids to California.

Actually, buy the smallest container you can. I bought a large can of it 5 years ago and still have quite a lot left. I would never use rectified turpentine for anything but weathering.

Thanks for the information!

Bob

BoB ,

I'm lookin forward to a Peak inside the Shop of a Master !! Thanx for doin this !! While I currently don;'t have anything on th Bench that's in need of O.D. ..... The Lesson is relative .... (IMHO) techniques , etc. I remember a lil while back how you commented that you loved th Humbrol for drybrushing, I have a tin from th early 80's th Monogram/Humbrol tins, th one I still have is th GunMetal & I still use it for Drybrushing !! (y)

Keep on rockin Brotha' !! I'm lookin forward to th Next Installment

:hmmm I do have th Dragon ERSTAZ M10 ( Panther) th B.o.B. Skorzeny plot. ALthough I don't think th Jerries used O.D. ..... I think They used Their own Dark Green ??

Rock-On BoB !!! Thanx again !! I'm sittin up front & Center !

:erik

Erik,

I scratched one of those many years ago, long before the Dragon kit. If memory serves, when I was researching it, thee Germans used a mixture very similar to the American O.D. to paint then. They also used many captured American vehicles and the paint would have had to be similar or it would have been a dead giveaway.

Now you have no excuses for not joining in! (y) (y) (y) :yipee

Bob

:blink :blush: "What you say makes sense Modeling Sage !" Now ... to find th $$ to get th BoB Letterman weathering set ..... I'll have to save up th coin ....

:erik

With California's tight regulations ... How do Auto Painters do Their Deal ? They've gotta be able to get Their Paints & thinners in to th state some how ?

Im love the advice Bob (y)

Regarding Chris Mersal, I hope this 10% discount includes purchases from his show stands and him lecturing me on how bad English food is
:laugh:

I can also testify that CRM hobbies are agood bunch to deal with :v

As others have said Bob, I really appreciate you doing this and am looking forward to it. I have only ever built "as issued" due to my fear of ruining my work - but I'm keen as mustard to dirty this truck up (y)

The Humbrol paints have arrived, just the oils and artists turp's to go (and a dollop of spare time)

Made a solid start on construction over the last 24hrs, was hoping to get some paint on this afternoon but due to family commitments it didn't happen - back to work tommorow (8 on 3 off) so I get to watch and learn before I dive in :popcorn

My kit - 1/35 Italeri Deuce & a 1/2 Hard top and the 40mm Bofors AA gun - towed not mounted
Still have a few decisions to make, regarding the scene I want to create,
either - travelling (in convoy?), or
- AA in firing position with truck parked up?
At this stage I haven't even decided which figures I'll use. I usually go with a Commonwealth theme and although I have read that they were used by all allied forces, in all theatres of WWII I have yet to see a photo or reference article to support that. I like to at least find a photo to base the project on,so the're is at least a bit of historical realism. I'll do a bit of research this week :hmmm
That's one thing I like about modelling - It keep's my mind occupied whilst I attend to some of my more mundane tasks at work - I often come up with my better idea's while I'm working.

Those Shermans sure look ready for the treatment guys B)

Back