• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USS TEXAS build.

Looking so cool. Still watching with interest even though I'll never in a million years attempt it.
James
I started this kit as a break from the tedious, and ticky work on my Constitution build...lol. Now, this one has turned into a tedious, and ticky job...

Last edited:
More guns, and PE added.
20231231_183337.jpg
20231231_183414.jpg
20231231_183621.jpg
20231231_183511.jpg
20231231_183757.jpg
20231231_183559.jpg

Do the directors point the same way the quad 40's do? It looks that way! Genius!!
It is nice to see the Trumpeter P/E fits the Trumpeter ship!

Do the directors point the same way the quad 40's do? It looks that way! Genius!!
It is nice to see the Trumpeter P/E fits the Trumpeter ship!
What's a director? My knowledge is limited on these new fangled boats.
So far the photoetch has fit reasonably well. It's the plastic fit that's requiring a lot of work to look good.

Wow that darn thing is nice. A friend who is a historian had some links to its refit on a certain Face of Book site

Wow that darn thing is nice. A friend who is a historian had some links to its refit on a certain Face of Book site
I read Texas got the latest technology upgrades first, while it was the flagship. There was a lot of adding and removing guns, like the quads, and AA's over the years as well.

Just in case you are having me on, oh Wise-one-in-all-things-nautical. :lol:
Optical directors had repeaters by the aimer and trainer seats on the quad and twin 40mm mounts for elevation and bearing.
AM-240, USS Hazard's twin 40 mounts still had repeaters, but the directors were absent the last time I was aboard her.

Just in case you are having me on, oh Wise-one-in-all-things-nautical. :lol:
Optical directors had repeaters by the aimer and trainer seats on the quad and twin 40mm mounts for elevation and bearing.
AM-240, USS Hazard's twin 40 mounts still had repeaters, but the directors were absent the last time I was aboard her.
All the nautical lingo I know is from way back when Jack Sparrow was drinking all the rum and terrorizing the seas. I honestly know nothing about how things worked aboard a WWII era naval ship. I am starting to pick up on it though. Unfortunately it's after I'm 2/3's done with the Texas build...haha. I would've done a few things differently. Oh well...pass the rum!

Pfoof! That's just cool! The kit 14-inchers look the part, don't you think?
I do. They cleaned up good. I also thought sanding off the molded turret ladders, and replacing with PE would've done more damage than it was worth.
Speaking of the 14 guns, I read that the midship set, that carried the Kingfisher catapult, did a lot of damage to the surrounding superstructure when fired, from the concussion blast, so it was not used. Also read the other main guns, as well when fired, would do things like crack toilets, and such.

I do. They cleaned up good. I also thought sanding off the molded turret ladders, and replacing with PE would've done more damage than it was worth.
Speaking of the 14 guns, I read that the midship set, that carried the Kingfisher catapult, did a lot of damage to the surrounding superstructure when fired, from the concussion blast, so it was not used. Also read the other main guns, as well when fired, would do things like crack toilets, and such.
OK, more reading stated that the catapult turret blast concussion would also damage the plane, or planes, (there's a wartime photo of Texas with three planes on the catapult!) To keep this from happening the plane would either be launched, or the crew would use the boat cranes to swing them out over the sides, away from the blast. Interesting stuff!

Back