• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

These Go To Eleven TASK COMPLETE!

These Go To Eleven

Man, this has been an adventure! The old AMT kit has a two piece body shell that does not fit together, so on top of that, you would have to assemble, fix and paint the body while on the chassis. :pinch: That would be OK if we were going all one color, but we aren't! Here's what I came up with to get around it.

The floor pan is molded into the lower half, so I whacked it out with the trusty Dremel and a cutoff wheel. I welded the halves together with ProWeld (note to self, screw the cap back on when finished). As you can see, the fit is awful!

IMG_7313.JPG

IMG_7314.JPG

Some careful filing and a couple coats of pink lead, followed by some block sanding gets us to here.

IMG_7319.JPG

IMG_7320.JPG

I decided to fabricate a new floor pan, so I broke out the card stock, scissors and pencil to mock up a template.

IMG_7315.JPG

I added the bends using my PE bender.

IMG_7316.JPG

Transferred the shape to a section of aluminum step flashing, available at your local Lowe's for about 40 cents. Bends were made on the PE bender.

IMG_7317.JPG

Since we're going to 11, many more fun things are in store, stay tuned. B)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZEu3M95Zv0

:drinks

These Go To Eleven

Thanks to all for your comments, I appreciate it. There's more to come. :drinks

These Go To Eleven Bodywork Update

Well gang, it's been a long hot summer in Carolina and that is a tough time to do any slick paint work. The old AMT molds have some wicked seam lines and odd places to join the bodies, so we had to get creative. The T body shell was modified with the razor saw and some pink lead to allow it to fit over the chassis. That means sand and prime, fill, sand and prime, spot putty, sand and prime, very tedious but necessary.

IMG_7329.JPG

IMG_7330.JPG

IMG_7337.JPG

IMG_7338.JPG

Almost ready for the white seal coat and if the temps come down (and the humidity with it), I'll be ready to paint.

The Fiat Topolino body presented another challenge. The soft plastic being used of late allowed the roof to sag just above the windshield, so I had to weld up the top opening. The panel for the roof did not fit quite right, so I smoothed it out. :gogo A liberal pass with pink lead (Bondo two part auto filler) followed by shape sanding smoothed things out.

IMG_7324.JPG

IMG_7325.JPG

IMG_7327.JPG

IMG_7328.JPG

This last shot really shows why I did not like the stock fit of the roof panel.

Filing the Bondo always leaves lots of scratches, so I use Nitrostan spot putty to level them out. My tube of Nitrostan is about 20 years old, but still works like new.

IMG_7331.JPG

Using a medium grit sanding stick and lots of water, sand things smooth and all the scratches are filled.

IMG_7332.JPG

IMG_7333.JPG

IMG_7334.JPG

A couple thick coats of Tamiya gray primer to finish things off and to help any remaining ferch to show up.

IMG_7336.JPG

IMG_7335.JPG

That's all for now, stay tuned for more fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCfO2g-lFt8&index=1&list=RDlCfO2g-lFt8

:dude :drinks

These Go To Eleven Bodywork Update

Good lord that's a lot of sanding. Looks like icing on the top. :hmmm

These Go To Eleven

Wow , well done Mike . Looks almost as hard as forming a body from clay .

Cheers, Christian B)

These Go To Eleven

Thanks, guys! Other than the smell, Bondo is really easy to work with, low cost and you can sand/grind/file to shapes. Here's the ol' tube of Nitrostan.

IMG_7340.JPG

I bought mine at Auto Body Supply in Des Moines, Iowa a very long time ago. Here's to you, Woody! Peace, brother!

IMG_7341.JPG

More later, it's been a long day! :drinks

These Go To Eleven

Looks very good ... Thanks for the JW really think they go Eleven also ... excellent job on body work ... :ro: :dude

Back