• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

T-90A MBT build

Here is a new long overdue update. Been working on this the last couple of weeks and have managed some good progress. There were a couple of small bumps along the way and a major FUBAR due to the awful clasps that Eduard gave for this model. Trick there is DON"T USE THESE EDUARD CLASPS as they are royal poo! The molded ones in the kit are much better but finding out the hard way I had to rebuild 4. (but only 4 out of the 20+ or so) That fiasco will be in the next update soon. For now I am covering the engine and some little bits with it.

Enjoy!

T-90A-014.jpg

T-90A-015.jpg

T-90A-016.jpg

T-90A-017.jpg

T-90A-018.jpg

T-90A-019.jpg

T-90A-020.jpg

T-90A-021.jpg

T-90A-022.jpg

T-90A-023.jpg

T-90A-024.jpg

T-90A-025.jpg

So far the kit parts fit fairly good with just a little fit work and careful placement. Nothing major at all. Just a lot of little parts that go all over. Trying to assemble as much as possible before external paint work. So far so good though. Best fitting kit I have built (so far) in a very long time.

Little bit clearer?

35726042-MOSCOW-RUSSIA-MAY-09-2014-Celebration-of-the-69th-anniversary-of-the-Victory-Day-WWII-Solemn-marchin-Stock-Photo.jpg

4th guards Kantemirovskaya tank division is the unit belonging to the flag you want to do.

land_forces_emb_n7224.gif

Looks like a stylized emblem from the Russian Land Forces on each arm of the x maybe?

BTW Nice work so far (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Little bit clearer?

35726042-MOSCOW-RUSSIA-MAY-09-2014-Celebration-of-the-69th-anniversary-of-the-Victory-Day-WWII-Solemn-marchin-Stock-Photo.jpg

4th guards Kantemirovskaya tank division is the unit belonging to the flag you want to do.

land_forces_emb_n7224.gif

Looks like a stylized emblem from the Russian Land Forces on each arm of the x maybe?

BTW Nice work so far (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Thanks for the photo James. There are a bunch of variations as I have found out. The one in your photo is for some infantry group. I even have a photo of the marching band and the banner for the band has lyers in all the circles. Getting the correct emblems in the 5 circles is turning into the hard part.

The crest in the center is basically the same on all. The flag you showed is from the 4th Guards and the circles on the x look to be the Russian Land Forces Crest. Others are artillery and marines etc.

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone! This build is coming right along now. The hull is closed up with the engine and I am still adding all the little parts all over. Fit overall is fairly good. The only thing I have backed up and redone is the engine cover.

There is a cover with working hinges for engine display and a cover wih fixed hinges for it to be closed. While the covers both fit the opening well, the working hinges are intended for the cover to be mounted open. They are just enough off and fiddely enough that they won't hold up to opening and closing. Fine by me just used the closed one as this tank will be driving through Red Square in the Victory Day parade anyway.

If I can keep at it the hull should be ready for paint by this weekend. I will go ahead and paint the hull with the wheels and tracks. The turret has a major amount of assembly all it's own so I will treat it as a separate build up. I should have more pics soon as I reach a good posting point.

Time for another photo update on the T-90. I am liking this kit! It has been challenging, but has also gone together fairly well.
As always the photos do the talking. :D

T-90A-026.jpg

T-90A-027.jpg

T-90A-028.jpg

T-90A-029.jpg

T-90A-030.jpg

T-90A-031.jpg

T-90A-032.jpg

T-90A-033.jpg

T-90A-034.jpg

To be continued. . .

Yeah I try to keep the photos to about 10 per post. Keeps the page a reasonable size.

Here is the rest of the story for now. . .

T-90A-035.jpg

T-90A-036.jpg

T-90A-037.jpg

T-90A-038.jpg

T-90A-039.jpg

T-90A-040.jpg

That's all for now. Enjoy!

Wow that is super-nice! I too have this model but will not be starting for some time, as you can imagine I will be using alot of this as reference, especially the wheels! that is really neat as to what you came up with there, it has uses far beyond just this model!

I had read several reviews of this kit and most say that there about 190-200 parts total that make up the turret assembly alone!

Wow that is super-nice! I too have this model but will not be starting for some time, as you can imagine I will be using alot of this as reference, especially the wheels! that is really neat as to what you came up with there, it has uses far beyond just this model!

I had read several reviews of this kit and most say that there about 190-200 parts total that make up the turret assembly alone!

I think there are that many parts total on the whole tank (excluding the tracks) Bruce. Definitely about half seem to be in the turret assembly though. The barrel alone has 8 parts. Since it is a weird assembly and has a connecting part in the middle, I set it up in my lathe to make sure it was truely straight when I joined it together.

I will have pictures soon.

One thing about this build that is interesting is that the rear fuel tanks are not on the tank for the parade. In studying photos, the cables the mounted on the rear are also removed for the parade. Saves that bit of hassle.

The last couple of nites I have been building on the turret. Last nite I tried to open my old bottle of Tamiya clear blue. It wasn't happening. As last resort, I took the bottle out to the kitchen, turned it upside down and liberally filled the lid thread area with 409 cleaner and left it that way over nite.

This morning I came out, took the bottle and turned it right side up (over the sink) and blue paint ran out. Grabbed the lid and it turned. That was all it took. So if you have any Tamiya paint jars that the lid is glued shut, turn it upside down, fill the lid threads with 409 and let it soak.

Back