• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Skinny Mike's YF-23 Black Widow

Ran into a bit of an issue tonight. Sprayed the Dullcoat and found out that there were some silvered decals. :bang head The worst being the US AIR FORCE decals on the sides of the engine pods. I've tried giving them a fresh coat of Solvaset to see if that helps settle them down a bit, but since they are already futured and flat coated it may not help. We'll see in the morning. If that doesn't work, I've got a second set of decals cued up at Sprue Bros. I'll sand off the offending decals and try to repaint and decal.

Not throwing in the towel yet, but she's starting to fight back! :fencing

Wish me luck...

:zen

I had to attack the decals on the SR-71 after dull coat as well. A pin (or sharp tip of an xacto) and judicious applications of MicroSol (forget how many post dullcote re-applications) and I was able to get rid of nearly all the silvering. Patience & persistence were the words of the day for sure.

Good luck Mike! You got this.

Looked better this morning but still not promising. Gave them another shot of MicroSol.

I was thinking of running a blade along the decal like you suggested Chris, glad you had some success, that is encouraging. I'll give that a try. I am not adverse to sanding off the decals and starting over, so some experimentation is worth trying.

Really though, I've started running into this more and more. I has to be something I'm doing in the painting stage. Although the last two mishaps were new brand of decals and I did have some issues. Might think about a build using some known quantities and see what happens. Should help figure out if its me or the products I am using. :hmmm

Yeah, I probably ended up doing an application a night for a week or so. The pin/knife was to put a small puncture to allow the MicroSol to actually get in under the decal. Each night it got a little better. If you got something a little hotter like the Mr Decal Setter, might be worth trying too.

I think I ran into the issues again in the Mirage...though not as bad. I'm sure it's me not getting enough glosscote down prior to decals. I need to get a bit more aggresive w/ the shiny stuff. :laugh:

Great news folks!

After a week of wrestling with the decals, looks like I mostly got the better of them. MIG flat varnish is down and it looks good. Plus I removed the masking and don't have to touch anything up. Looks like we are moving forward again!

Thank you all for the encouragement. Was a bit of a trying week.

Pictures up soon
Mike

Hi guys! Quick post. All the decals are down and sealed with a coat of future. The decals I used were from Caracal Models for the YF-23 prototypes which are printed by Cartograph. I had some issues getting the larger ones tucked down, but a little bit of Solvaset did the trick.

TOP:
Post_6_1~1.jpg

BOTTOM:
Post_6_2~1.jpg

Dull coat tomorrow and then the landing gear. Should have this one wrapped up soon.

Thanks for watching!
Mike
Looking VERY good

Hey everyone, time to catch everyone up on this build. Its actually been done for about a week now, but I was lazy about getting up the last post.

Thank you all for your encouragement with the decals. Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures of the fight but here’s a quick run down of what happened. Once the flat coat was on, the decals showed some pretty brutal silvering. To solve this, I spent about a week hitting each of the offending decals with two coats of Walther’s Solvaset a day (one before work and one after work). This had a staining affect on the paintwork underneath, at least on the flat coat. I shot a couple heavy coats of Future over the stained areas and this cleaned it all up. Last step was a flat coat with Ammo’s Flat Varnish. In the end 98% of the silvering is gone. I am really happy I could save it.

Moving on. All that was left was the undercarriage. I started with the wheels. The prototype aircraft used a nose wheel taken from the F-15 and mains taken from the F-18. Unfortunately the kit wheels are not accurate at all. I replaced them with aftermarket wheels from Royale Resin. They where then painted in the standard fashion, Ammo Tires and Rubber for the tires, Vallejo White for the wheel hub followed by a dark wash. Here is the aftermarket wheels next too the kit wheels, and the finished wheels.

Post_7_3~1.jpg

The biggest issue is the nose wheel. Its really much larger then it should have been. This has resulted in the NLG strut being too large at the wheel mount. And the Royale Resin wheel would not have looked right. Fortunately the guys at SAC came to the rescue. From what I have been told, the SAC products are just white metal casts of the kit parts. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but the set for the YF-23 was advertised as “corrected” so I picked on up. The MLG legs look to be the same as the kit parts, but the nose gear leg is defiantly different. It at least corrects the wheel mount. The gear where primer with automotive primer and then painted in white.

Post_7_1~1.jpg

Unfortunately I forgot to take a comparison photo of the two nose gear struts. The nose gear had some patches of red on them. This was used for data collection and experimental parts. I replicated this based on my reference photos.

Post_7_2~1.jpg

The gear doors were also finished and everything was installed without any drama. I corrected the labeling issue on my build and used the Spider decal on the inside of the nose gear door. These radio call signs were added to the doors when the two airplanes went to their respective meusems, and they were mixed up so not PAV-1 is labeled as the Gray Ghost and PAV-2 is labeled as Spider IRL.

Post_7_4~1.jpg

I also painted the pitot tubes in Alclad Steel and installed them. Once the gear had cured, I flipped her over and set it on the shelf.

Post_7_5~0.jpg

Well there you go, I had a lot of fun building this kit. And thanks to everyone for all the encouragement along the way, especially during that silvering incident!

Mike

It is possible to place decals down directly over flat paint without having any silvering. First off the paint has to be an enamel paint not an acrylic because you want to use the setting solutions to bond it down. Acrylic paints can react to the setting solutions in a bad way.

So, when I have painted an enamel paint down I mix a little Solvaset and water and smear it in the area the decal will be placed. Sometimes only the Solvaset is used and the water from the decal sheet is enough to dilute it slightly. The Solvaset also has a bit of a bonder in it to help the decal to stick. Once the decal is placed and aligned, I coat the top carefully with straight Solvaset and let it set until it starts to soften.

Lately I have been taking my airbrush with very low air pressure, and start blowing air at the center of the decal and slowly bring it closer and blow the fluid off the top and out from underneath. It also forces the decal to conform to the surface shapes better and makes the decal dry faster. You just have to be careful and not blow the decal up or get air under it. ( I did say VERY LOW air pressure) So far have had no sivering from this method even over very flat paint. :hmmm

Back