• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Simpatico, A Miniature Mansion for my daughter

Re:Something really different Update August 9, 2010

NyteScrybe wrote:
Hi Bob,

Well you've done it again! If this is the kind of work you can turn out at almost 70, the rest of us are in real trouble. Gail will be thrilled with it when it's finished.

Gil

Falling apart?! BALONEY. At 69, you can leg press 515 pounds. You're in fantastic shape. I know guys half your age who would love to be in your shape, Poppy. :)

Raises hand slowly... :mpup

bob letterman wrote:
Then I gave the entire floor a coat of flat back. After drying, I gave it a cloud pattern of dark gray, here and there, at random.

I mixed up a combination of flat white enamel and gloss green acrylic paint. This is the same way I do for patinas on statues, etc. I use this because the two paints will never mix thoroughly, thus it creates the exact effect I need. Then thin it down with thinner and alcohol. I use a wide soft paint brush that I have thinned with thinning shears. Dip it into the solution and make a few practice swatches on an old piece of cardboard. If done properly, it will "Vein" when it hits the black tile I usually do several coats, letting each dry first. I hold the brush in one hand and then strike it with a finger to propel it randomly onto the tiles.

Bob

Okay so enamel black to start? and for the white and gloss green, would model master and vallejo or gunze work? Or should the floor be acrylic and then the other mix? I think this would look good with my 1[sup]ere[/sup] Lancer 1811, Thanks in advance.
James

Wow,

I don't know what's more impressive, the marble floor, or the 515 pound leg presses.

B)

jknaus wrote:
Okay so enamel black to start? and for the white and gloss green, would model master and vallejo or gunze work? Or should the floor be acrylic and then the other mix? I think this would look good with my 1[sup]ere[/sup] Lancer 1811, Thanks in advance.
James

Flat black. Enamel or acrylic, doesn't matter, the same with the cloud pattern dark gray, I used panzer gray. I used Testor's for both colors. The key is the mixture. You can do it two ways and I have used both. White gloss enamel with flat green acrylic, or... Green gloss enamel and flat white acrylic. Any brand will work. I normally use flat white vallejo with Testor's bright green gloss. When you put them together, don't try hard to mix them because you want them NOT to mix completely. Once you apply them to the black/gray surface, they will not look very good. Continue applying and when dry, especially after sanded, they will become much more subtle and at that point, begin to resemble marble. Then use the tape. 1/64th is really tiny and I use Optivisors to make sure it fits in the groove. Once done, apply two coats of polyurethane gloss. That product is self leveling and when painted on with a brush will show no brush marks and a super smooth finish when dry. I have always used that to give the gloss to surfaces so they resemble water.

It should look good as a figure base. I used it on the Bruce Willis figure, (Solid black and white marble, no tiles).

BWillis-1.jpg

Hope that helps,

Bob

Ken Abrams wrote:
Wow,

I don't know what's more impressive, the marble floor, or the 515 pound leg presses.

B)

Thanks Ken,

When you take into consideration the time I have spent with both, it brings them into perspective.

I cannot remember in my life when I was not into weight lifting, (Power lifting), or modeling. I began seriously modeling 65 years ago. There was a Boy's club one city block from the house I grew up in. I modeled there, lifted weights and boxed. I stayed with all three until I was around forty, (The latter two were a huge help in my police career), then dropped boxing, (I still work out on the speed bag), but have never stopped the other two.

I've always told people that if I wasn't any good at something I had been doing for more than 60 years, then I must be defective!

Bob

johnbowery wrote:
Bob,
Looking super and thanks for the Marble SBS great idea.
Cheers
John

Thanks John,

See you Saturday evening!

Bob

bob letterman wrote:
moon puppy wrote:
NyteScrybe wrote:
Hi Bob,

Well you've done it again! If this is the kind of work you can turn out at almost 70, the rest of us are in real trouble. Gail will be thrilled with it when it's finished.

Gil

Falling apart?! BALONEY. At 69, you can leg press 515 pounds. You're in fantastic shape. I know guys half your age who would love to be in your shape, Poppy. :)

Raises hand slowly... :mpup

That was funny, MP!

Master Bob,

Your special project is absolutly spectacular and your not done yet. The marble is just great I'm still trying to figure out how you did it. Your little girl will be very pleased I'm sure when it is completed. Great work!!! :notworthy

Terry B)

MrT wrote:
Master Bob,

Your special project is absolutly spectacular and your not done yet. The marble is just great I'm still trying to figure out how you did it. Your little girl will be very pleased I'm sure when it is completed. Great work!!! :notworthy

Terry B)

I already love it but seriously, he could build me something from Lincoln Logs and chicken wire and I would love it because he thought of me. I can't yet wrap my mind around the scope of this project.

"Little" girl? :lol: Good one...!

NyteScrybe wrote:
MrT wrote:
Master Bob,

Terry B)

I already love it but seriously, he could build me something from Lincoln Logs and chicken wire and I would love it because he thought of me. I can't yet wrap my mind around the scope of this project.

"Little" girl? :lol: Good one...!

Well I can tell you this you will be amazed. Don't you know that Dad's always see their daughters as little girls no matter if they are four or forty seven.

Terry ;)

MrT wrote:
NyteScrybe wrote:
MrT wrote:
Master Bob,

Terry B)

Well I can tell you this you will be amazed. Don't you know that Dad's always see their daughters as little girls no matter if they are four or forty seven.

Terry ;)

Yes, I know I'll be amazed...I've been in his museum a couple of times and it is mind-blowing. Before I met him, I had no idea this modeling world really even existed! Coming on here and seeing so many talented people in one place that love this craft is quite something.

I suppose you're right about the little girl thing! It's just funny to hear myself described that way,seeing that, unlike Jenny, I am not exactly a petite girl. :)

NyteScrybe wrote:
MrT wrote:
NyteScrybe wrote:
MrT wrote:
Master Bob,

Terry B)

Terry ;)

Yes, I know I'll be amazed...I've been in his museum a couple of times and it is mind-blowing. Before I met him, I had no idea this modeling world really even existed! Coming on here and seeing so many talented people in one place that love this craft is quite something.

I suppose you're right about the little girl thing! It's just funny to hear myself described that way,seeing that, unlike Jenny, I am not exactly a petite girl. :)

Good Missouri stock, common sense, and you know a good thing when you see it.

Terry B)

Hmmmmmm, Let's see, Terry and Gail, if you two are finished hogging the thread, I would like to get a word in edgeways! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Just kidding!

Thanks for the comments Terry! OK, I've been to your place twice, (Kansas City counts too), so when are you coming here?

And Gail, you are my little girl, and when Simpatico is finished, you as my little girl will be in it! :p

Bob/Pop

bob letterman wrote:
Hmmmmmm, Let's see, Terry and Gail, if you two are finished hogging the thread, I would like to get a word in edgeways! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Just kidding!

Thanks for the comments Terry! OK, I've been to your place twice, (Kansas City counts too), so when are you coming here?

And Gail, you are my little girl, and when Simpatico is finished, you as my little girl will be in it! :p

Bob/Pop

Maybe in September the StLouis IPMS is having a show on the 11th. It's really funny, but Curtis just loves the Super8 in Troy. He thinks it is real fun place.

Terry B)

Terry,

Sounds good to me! Give me a call and we'll make it a date!

That hotel is really an unusually nice Super 8, isn't it?

Bob

Back