• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell's 1/72 U-Boot VII C "Wolf Pack"

Thanks Luiz :notworthy

Bit of an update - weathering begun has :D

Considering all that I could find in terms of reference and my own memories of ships that had sailed the oceans of the world, I'm doing a heavily weathered sub. The thing is, U-69's 3rd patrol was in the Atlantic, in the warm sub-tropical waters that is. That means a lot of rust, a lot of salt deposits - all ships sailing in warm waters and warm weather get those, as they are basically massive metal objects getting wet and drying in the sun. What is left is a lot of salt. Plus the scratches and chipped paint. The interesting bit is about algae line or grass weed line. This appeared below the water line especially for all sailing objects that had spent some time in those waters. The U-69 3rd patrol lasted from the 5th of May until 8th of July 1941, that's nearly 5 weeks.
Enough talk, here are the photos - last one showing the deck only with a slight brown tint, before the serious weathering.

h779b929.JPG

hb04c152.JPG

hf356f71.JPG

Thanks for watching

Laurence

Love the rust and weathering, not so keen on the algae line, too stark, too dark. I think back on the boat we had on the lake years ago how it feathered down the side (because I use to clean it) Just think it needs to be more subtle. Lovin' what you're doing though, looks great! :popcorn

Totally agree MP, it looks that way because it's not finished yet :D

There will be more done to the algae, it's a matter of adding white to the mix. Those are all oils, I only want to mix here and there. Besides, that will be under "water", so not very obvious to the viewer.

I might have not mentioned this, but it will be a diorama, the sub fighting some big waves, lots of water all around B)

Laurence

Thanks Luiz :notworthy

Bit of an update - weathering begun has :D

Considering all that I could find in terms of reference and my own memories of ships that had sailed the oceans of the world, I'm doing a heavily weathered sub. The thing is, U-69's 3rd patrol was in the Atlantic, in the warm sub-tropical waters that is. That means a lot of rust, a lot of salt deposits - all ships sailing in warm waters and warm weather get those, as they are basically massive metal objects getting wet and drying in the sun. What is left is a lot of salt. Plus the scratches and chipped paint. The interesting bit is about algae line or grass weed line. This appeared below the water line especially for all sailing objects that had spent some time in those waters. The U-69 3rd patrol lasted from the 5th of May until 8th of July 1941, that's nearly 5 weeks.
Enough talk, here are the photos - last one showing the deck only with a slight brown tint, before the serious weathering.

h779b929.JPG

hb04c152.JPG

hf356f71.JPG

Thanks for watching

Laurence
Looking great :popcorn

Thank you Gents, I really appreciate the compliments :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Time for another update - conning tower about to be weathered, the hull sides are nearly done, but still more work to do, then onto the deck. The deck had received some treatment, but heaps more to do there.

The 88 deck cannon is almost complete. The conning tower and cannon will be glued a little bit later on, once the sub is mounted on the base and the weathering is complete on the hull, deck included.

hc42257a.JPG

h7e3fec5.JPG

he542620.JPG

h280b933.JPG

h794c979.JPG

h9150f22.JPG

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

The Sea does beat the dog-snot out of every vessel that traverses Her. She's beautiful, harsh and an unforgiving Mistress. Your Untersee Boot portrays the Dog-snot-beating-out-of quite well! I like it immensely!!!! :salute :eek:ldguy :ro: :dude :notworthy (y) :good:
You don't see the crud along the waterline everyday. These ol' German boats led a rough & tumble life.

inspiring build, and so helpful to watch how you bring it to life. going to help me when i do painting on mine in the eye for an eye build.
:yipee :pilot :pilot

Back