• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M4A3(76)

Okay Primer on. Tomorrow maybe I can get the OD. Then wait for markings. If I was smart I would have waited to glue on the bogeys. Live and learn I guess.

James

Read and Learn... :zen
:yipee

:mpup

Mike...on a roll...really?? :blink :rotf
[offtopic]
Dad, I looked at the map also, go north till you hit the end of the road and there's Cold Lakes. Neat thing, look on Google Maps and you see there was an airshow going on at the base when the image was taken!

Tell Sis we said howdy, wondering what her next kit's going to be?? :drinks [/offtopic]

I think I'm going to whip my Sherman out and get it build up this weekend...and leave the boogies off. :soldier

Bob Sr :D Biggest city is 3 hours south(on a nice day), Edmonton. We have a pant store and they have some artist supplies. The hard thing for me to find will be the Humbrol paints.
Bob Jr Absolutely leave the bogeys off.It will be much easier to paint. Wish I had of done that at the start. :bang head

Mike....you funny man :laugh: :laugh:

James

........ The hard thing for me to find will be the Humbrol paints. ......

James

James,

Order them from Chris per Bob's suggestion. I ordered mine on Monday AM and they arrived in the mail today (Wednesday)! Never seen anything like it. Say what you want about USPS, but results (and Paypal) speak for themselves. Good luck.

See you in class (no pushing :cheer: ),

Bill

Bob Sr :D Biggest city is 3 hours south(on a nice day), Edmonton. We have a pant store and they have some artist supplies. The hard thing for me to find will be the Humbrol paints.
Bob Jr Absolutely leave the bogeys off.It will be much easier to paint. Wish I had of done that at the start. :bang head

Mike....you funny man :laugh: :laugh:

James

Wow, I'm impressed! Do you guys have electricity there yet? I'm kidding! :D Let's see, that would be Edmonton Ontario? In the next province? Which is the size of Siberia? You're a better man than me Charlie Brown! You can order them from CRM hobby, which the information is in weathering Olive Drab Interactive. His email is crm@inlink.com

The price is $2.39 a tin (US) and you only need to buy the first list. Don't bother with the optional ones. He will give you a 10% discount if you tell him it is the Bob Letterman bundle. Actually, other than Chicago, you won't find it anywhere closer in America or Canada, at least I don't think so.

Yes MP, leave the bogeys off!

Bob

Yeah thats it Bob. I used to live in the white igloo third snow bank over roflmao :D All kidding aside it sometimes feels like the end of the road up here.....oh wait it is. Okay so emailed CRM Hobby this morning. Hopefully he will be able to sell to me. My Archer transfers should be in soon I hope. Figures, I just saw Montex has masks for the tank I'm going to do. So looking forward to this. I have the rectified turpentine and oils already. Wish I had of had the fore thought to leave the bogeys off though.

James

Good for you James,

I hope CRM can mail the paint to you. Canadian customs are the worst in the world. We had to stop shipping any liquids up there after customs seized a $2000 shipment to a hobby shop in Winnepeg because it had 3 Humbrol tins in it. They claimed they burned the entire shipment. I don't know, maybe they did.

Just in case Chris can't, I will try to find a Canadian retailer that can.

I can't believe you found the rectified turps up there.

Man, I can't imagine the snow you get there. I have a buddy in Denver and thought he got a lot! The most we have ever got in St. Louis was 23 inches, at least in my memory.

Just get it painted, the bogeys are no big deal. A little more tedious. You should paint the rubber on them before weathering. You don't need to be perfect. The wash will cover any slips of the brush.

Got an email and should be no problem with the paints. Should have an invoice when I get home. Cool.

James

James, if you are ever stuck for something just give me a shout and I'll do my best to help you out. The local LHS' are well stocked with Humbrol paints and you won't have to worry about Customs.

Bob
, I'm looking forward to the tutorial but don't know if I will be able to participate as my daughter has her Scoliosis surgery next week and I'll be playing nursemaid afterwards. I will definitely be taking notes though.

One question though. I stick to 1/72 scale. Any issue with applying your method to a smaller scale?

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the offer. Paints have been shipped though. Got my Archer markings in today and as pant is drying on hull put numbers on turret. Unfortunately the ones on the other side didnt stick as well as they should and got a bit crooked. I will live with it though. Tomorrow maybe get the hull markings on.

m44.jpg

Thats all for today.
James

Oh and markings show only one hatch on top of turret. A star goes where my other hatch is. Maybe I have the wrong turret. Its staying though.

James

James, if you are ever stuck for something just give me a shout and I'll do my best to help you out. The local LHS' are well stocked with Humbrol paints and you won't have to worry about Customs.

Bob
, I'm looking forward to the tutorial but don't know if I will be able to participate as my daughter has her Scoliosis surgery next week and I'll be playing nursemaid afterwards. I will definitely be taking notes though.

One question though. I stick to 1/72 scale. Any issue with applying your method to a smaller scale?

I have used this system on as small as HO railroad scale which is 1/87th, and on everything all the way up to 1/6th scale. So, the answer is yes, it will definitely work on 1/72nd.

Bob

Oh and markings show only one hatch on top of turret. A star goes where my other hatch is. Maybe I have the wrong turret. Its staying though.

James

James, just curious, this is a French Sherman, right? During the war or post war?

Bob

James

James, just curious, this is a French Sherman, right? During the war or post war?

Bob

Free French during the war as far as I know.
Forgot to ask, should I do a gloss or dull coat prior to your weathering lessons, or au naturel?
James

James

Bob

Free French during the war as far as I know.
Forgot to ask, should I do a gloss or dull coat prior to your weathering lessons, or au naturel?
James

If it is acrylic and dull, (flat), leave it alone. The only thing I would do is after the decals are set and dry, I would give them a clear flat acrylic coat just on top of the markings with a brush. It may look different when dry than the surrounding color. Don't be concerned, the wash will take care of that! I do it all the time and you will never see it after the wash.

I just went back and reread, you used Archer dry transfers. I still use the clear flat brushed over them.

Bob

James

Yeah, I found an early model M4A2 French Sherman, but it had the older style turret and a 75mm main gun. It also had only one hatch.

m4a2_sherman_free_french_forces-3d-model-23474-102139jpg.png

Since Saul's reference shows both hatches, obviously the French used them. I wouldn't be concerned.

early_t23_turret1.jpg

Bob

James,
Bob[/b], I'm looking forward to the tutorial but don't know if I will be able to participate as my daughter has her Scoliosis surgery next week and I'll be playing nursemaid afterwards. I will definitely be taking notes though.

Thoughts and prayers to your Daughter, get her a little bell so she can summon you at her leisure!

Class credit will be given to any and all who complete this course as laid out by Bob. You show us your course work as he describes his technique and we'll give you credit for completion. There is no end date for this. We're working on a little medal like thing to go in your profile like our Modelers Alliance Excellence Award.

Bob[/b], I'm looking forward to the tutorial but don't know if I will be able to participate as my daughter has her Scoliosis surgery next week and I'll be playing nursemaid afterwards. I will definitely be taking notes though.

As MP said, we'll take care of you. Again, thoughts and prayers to your daughter!

Bob

James, I found another French Sherman, an older model, with the circled stars on the turret sides, as with the American Shermans. This one being an M4A1.

800px-Sherman_M4_A3.jpg

I have read where the French used many Sherman versions, although mostly M4A2s, but I think you could have probably found them using just about anything.

Hi Bob

I'm keen to have a go, at the moment I have a M4A3E2 built and base coated in olive drab then hit the wall at fading and
a priest still waiting to be built. The only problem is I have to wait to order some paints but that all good.

One question is pure gum terpentine and rectified turpentine the same thing.

Thanks for taking the time to do this sort of thing.

Back