• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The Figures Updated Feb 8th, 2021

Logistics, The Figures Updated June 12th, 2015

Another dozen. I have 6 dozen of this type of G.I. Drivers, tank crews, tank riders, doing various duties, I guess you could call them miscellaneous. I have groups such as those marching on either side of a tank column, The staff officers, the engineers and heavy equipment operators, and so on. These will mostly be inside trucks or tanks or other vehicles.

To start with, here is the batch I finished today. I have four more dozen in this category, and then I'll move on to other categories.

0_zpsmillnnwv.jpg

A little closer in,

0g0_zpsreedkyc8.jpg

United with the previously finished dozen.

0g0g_zpso3diql5c.jpg

And then from above.

0g0g0_zpsccv9tij0.jpg

I have the next batch nearing completion, so it won't be long!

Logistics, The Figures Updated July 19th, 2015

You should get the Guinness Book people involved - that many figures on a dio should be a World Record :D

Awesome stuff Bob :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Laurence

You should get the Guinness Book people involved - that many figures on a dio should be a World Record :D

Laurence

Dang Laurence,in 1/35 scale you could be right! :woohoo:

This keeps on getting better and better,Bob! (y)

Gr,Ron.

Terry, Andy, Adam, Gator and Steve.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Bob

Laurence and Ron.

You never know what is out there. I've been told that over the years when people commented on other large dioramas with less figures than this one, but, who knows?

Thanks Guys,

Bob

Another update, August 31, 2015.

I keep whittling away at these. Sometimes they seem endless. I just can't work as fast as I could, but I'm getting there!

To start, I had posted the 50 - 101st Airborne marching troops previously, however, my LHS was out of the American flag shoulder patches that all Airborne troops wore on their right upper arm, just above their rank insignia. They finally came in after all this time. I almost considered painting them but 50 - 1/35th American shoulder flags is waaaaay too much detail work and time consuming, so, now they all have the flags and are complete!

Airborne1_zpsazwkpqh2-1.jpg

Airborne1_zpsazwkpqh2-1.jpg

Of the total allied troops left to go after today, there are 45 almost finished seen here,

whats_left_almost_finished_01_zpsuteuvpyn.jpg

whats_left_almost_finished_02_zpssq5qmdue.jpg

Then, another 53, built, posed and detailed shown here.

[
Allies_unpainted01_zpskhl9no9b.jpg

And here

Allies_unpainted02_zpsihk3qhp2.jpg

Here is the latest batch, mostly drivers, MPs and Medics.

latest_batch_zpsp6ytu3g2.jpg

From another angle,

latest_batch_2_zps8eltmsoe.jpg

Then with the first two batches altogether and, again, mostly drivers, MPs and Medics.

all_3_batches_1_zpssntohhmq.jpg

And, from another angle.

all_3_batches_2_zps8nnmgxkl.jpg

Then I have a total of 29 German civilians and soldiers and refugees finished and painted. Six construction workers, eight refugees and 15 German civilians, out of a total of 165 of all three types of shown here.

German_soldiers_civilians_refugees_zpsowdjw8ja.jpg

[
German_soldiers_civilians_refugees02_zpsp1eskprw.jpg

And here

German_soldiers_civilians_refugees03_zpszekg3q5v.jpg

I know it still looks discouraging, but, believe me, it has came a long way since I started. I am painting the difficult ones first. I plan on finishing all the Allied troops, then the German soldiers and lastly the civilians which are much easier than the military figures.

Bob

That is awesome. So many figures so little time. Great job and they all look swell. That's a yankee saying :yipee
Cheers
John

Logistics, The Figures Updated August 31st, 2015

:notworthy
thanks for the update Bob.
I know I always say it but it really is mind blowing watching this enormous project come to life.
I find it quite inspiring too as it keeps me motivated knowing how much you have to draw on to get to completion.

Great figures too. I love the GI holding up the Nazi flag.
Just a quick question:
Do you go through and plan each separate pose to interact with the dio and other figures or are there only a limited number that are customised and the rest are standard poses from the box?
(Apologies if you have answered this already - if so just tell me to read the early section).
:dude

Ian.

Logistics, The Figures Updated August 31st, 2015

:notworthy
thanks for the update Bob.
I know I always say it but it really is mind blowing watching this enormous project come to life.
I find it quite inspiring too as it keeps me motivated knowing how much you have to draw on to get to completion.

Great figures too. I love the GI holding up the Nazi flag.
Just a quick question:
Do you go through and plan each separate pose to interact with the dio and other figures or are there only a limited number that are customised and the rest are standard poses from the box?
(Apologies if you have answered this already - if so just tell me to read the early section).
:dude

Ian.

Actually, I plan the figures as I do the vehicles. I picture the diorama in my mind's eye and then start thinking up vignettes. I also think like this, "How would these streets look and how would they be filled with troops and vehicles had this been a photo taken in a large German city such as Frankfurt, Mainz or even Munich as Patton's third army rolled through. Then I come up with the primary subject which in this case is Patton's staff with big shots from Ike's staff, going over Patton's plans of attack, question captured German General officers as to strengths facing them, all the while, Patton and a lot of MPs are trying to unsnarl a massive traffic jam between tank columns and supply convoys only a few yards away. Then, what else would be going on? Refugees?, of course, fleeing to the rear with all their worldly possessions carried by hand or pushcarts and work animal drawn carts, the poor and the wealthy, to make it to American lines and avoid the Russians. Then, American medical personnel rushing not only American wounded to the rear, but wounded German soldiers as well.

What else? Then vignettes of secondary activities, American engineers with heavy equipment clearing the massive amounts of rubble who have commandeered able bodied men and women to help them. G.I.s being G.I.s, posing on the gun barrel of the massive K-5 railway gun for a photographer. the large number of the press corps of all the Allied nations that always followed Patton wherever he went. He was kinda the Kim Kardashion of the WW II ETO in those days. Everything he said or did was news.

Then, here and there, things happening that although secondary to the main subject, like a couple of paratroopers shooting and capturing three German soldiers in a back alley, calling on the walkie-talkie for help and a sergeant ordering a squad of infantrymen to run to their assistance through a crowd of refugees. I have always felt the key to these big dioramas is to keep the interest of the viewer. Especially to show them new details they had missed practically every time they see it again. Realism with the models is of course, most important, however, composition is key, no figures or vehicles sitting or standing by themselves involved in nothing, but always interacting with others, doing things that human beings do. What I dislike most in a diorama is seven or eight figures just standing with no interaction whatsoever. People never do that. Then add all those tiny details that can be found in any urban area.

Back