• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, Base & Buildings, Updated Feb. 13, 2020

Logistics, Base & Buildings Updated Oct. 1, 2019

Wooo, shaping up nicely. :popcorn

Glad you can tell!! A lot of people who have seen it ask, "What the hell is that"? :)

Can't blame 'em, my buildings mostly look bad and weird before they start coming together! And even then sometimes..................

Thanks Son!

Logistics, Base & Buildings Updated Oct. 1, 2019

Got quite a bit done, however, these scratch built buildings are not as easy as they may seem. This one will be loaded with details.

First off, I applied the gilt, an 18 Kt. gold enamel available at art supply stores. A lot of gilted architectural parts will be in this building as the European Train stations are very elaborately decorated. In fact, so are some American ones. St. Louis comes to mind. I start with a flat black base which will all be covered except in the deepest crevices with the gold gilt. Here are two arched doorway trims. The surrounding white/gray color will become the pinkish marble that will be the basic decor for the Great hall.

888888~0.JPG

Some more gilt plus a double door, originally base coated with flesh colored acrylic, then I used artists oils Raw umber and Burnt Sienna to simulate the wood color and pattern.

8888~2.JPG

more gilt.

8888888.JPG

Ditto.

88888~0.JPG

Here is one of the balconies that will be on the front wall of the Grand Hall.

88888888.JPG

After creating the marble effect, I printed it out on high gloss photographic paper.

88~5.JPG

If anybody is interested in the marble making process, you can see two examples of it on these two threads.

https://modelersalliance.org/forum/bob-letterman/25388-simpatico-a-miniature-mansion-for-my-daughter?start=132

https://modelersalliance.org/forum/bob-letterman/116233-a-scratch-built-1-1-scale-cabinet-2012?start=48

Then I laminate the photographic paper onto a same size sheet of Matt board. Matt board has many uses but the most common is to Matt paintings and photographs in picture frames.

888~3.JPG

Then I cut the laminated matt board into square "tiles" and adhere them to , in this case, a wall.

8~2.JPG

Here is the inside front wall of the grand hall. I have yet to glue all these parts down as I still have to marbleize them to match the tiles. Everything that is white/gray will get the marble treatment before being permanently attached. it is shown laying on a table so the parts will stay in place. There will be a lot more details on this when finished as well.

888888888.JPG

This will be the side wall of the Grand Hall. It is also a work in progress and only a few parts are attached. I have to wait until I put it in place permanently before completing the staircase which is just laying on there in the photo. Again, more marble, more murals and a coffee shop, toilet doors, and so on will be added.

9~2.JPG

And last, I put the two walls in place to give the viewer an idea of how it will look. In addition to these two walls and their details, there will be another wall facing and perpendicular to the tracks. It will be a giant arch that will be all glass on the upper half. The lower half to meet up with the train shed where the people would normally walk to their trains. Above will be the large arched bracing that will hold the roof. I have designed the steel framework but as yet haven't made them.

99~5.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

Bob

Logistics, Base & Buildings Updated Oct. 9, 2019

Very elaborate detailing Bob...this is coming right along!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

When you finish this one, think of this possible project:

A French railway station, undamaged, with all the spectacular architecture, trains coming and waiting to depart, people, restaurants, newspapers stands, all the rest of it. To the side, a workshop with dismantled engines and carriages, lots of work carried out under the friendly watchful eye of the Germans :D . Mad busy of course and mind blowing details. Near the station, the mandatory Hotel with all the necessary collection of dodgy characters, ballerinas appealing to customers, roof needing repairs, a derelict Citroen at the back in the garage, a small truck bringing supplies to the kitchen and the list could go on and on and on.

Could even be a little bit of a winter scene, bit of snow never hurt anybody (y)

Laurence

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

When you finish this one, think of this possible project:

A French railway station, undamaged, with all the spectacular architecture, trains coming and waiting to depart, people, restaurants, newspapers stands, all the rest of it. To the side, a workshop with dismantled engines and carriages, lots of work carried out under the friendly watchful eye of the Germans :D . Mad busy of course and mind blowing details. Near the station, the mandatory Hotel with all the necessary collection of dodgy characters, ballerinas appealing to customers, roof needing repairs, a derelict Citroen at the back in the garage, a small truck bringing supplies to the kitchen and the list could go on and on and on.

Could even be a little bit of a winter scene, bit of snow never hurt anybody (y)

Laurence

Laurence!

Get real! I'm hoping I have enough time left to finish this one! No more super dioramas!!!!!!

Thanks,

Bob

Laurence!

Get real! I'm hoping I have enough time left to finish this one! No more super dioramas!!!!!!

Thanks,

Bob

Of course you have time to finish this one and plenty of gas left in the tank for another one :yipee

Laurence

Back