• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Large Custom Millennium Falcon (new pics )

From a Galaxy Far Far away, (Basic Wk3 and Wk4 )

As I don't want to get behind on the base build posts and I am going to be tied up this next week a bit, here is another BIG post.

It covers the rest of the stuff in the first shipment, both weeks three and four. It includes the only thing I felt was worth building from the first shipment. Enough jabber, you know my pics explain what is going on.

Falcon-Basic-026.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-027.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-028.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-029.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-030.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-031.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-032.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-033.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-034.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-035.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-036.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-037.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-038a.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-039.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-040.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-041.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-042.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-043.jpg~original

Falcon-049.jpg~original

I should have another Etreme post sometime late next week. Enjoy!

As always, I appreciate your comments! :notworthy

REVISION
I have updated and made some corrections to the pictures in this post, in addition the 2 pictures that were in post #66 have been moved here and a couple of pictures that were here are now in post #66. All the info is in areas to make sense. Please bear with me as it is setting things up for all the stuff coming down the pike.

Got notice this morning of billing for month 2 which should have weeks 5 thru 8. I am not real sure what parts are in those packs, but it should have most of the remaining cockpit parts (I hope). :dance

Anyway, the ship notice should be in a day or so and since it is out of Jackson, TN and I am in Memphis should have the box the next day. :hmmm

You go Paul, missed that last update, looks like you got your work cut out for you. :popcorn

Paul...

Just taking the part of a devil's advocate here...but on that first pic concerning the height of the two rear seats...but trying to compare the height of Leia's head to the light bar behind her...it looks more to me like just the angle the shot was taken might've juxtapositioned her head in front of the bar maybe? Although overall it does appear out of scale-- but not so much as you'd think? Just curious and offering another perspective??

Paul...

Just taking the part of a devil's advocate here...but on that first pic concerning the height of the two rear seats...but trying to compare the height of Leia's head to the light bar behind her...it looks more to me like just the angle the shot was taken might've juxtapositioned her head in front of the bar maybe? Although overall it does appear out of scale-- but not so much as you'd think? Just curious and offering another perspective??

Yup am taking that into account. (a lot of years drafting experience) Looked at a lot of photos. Even though the angle is a little low, it isn't that low. The seat tops are somewhere in the light bar level. Have not figured exactly where yet, but a LOT higher than the ones in the model.

Thanks for commenting Jeeves! Devils advocate keeps me on my toes. :eek:ldguy I think I have found a screen capture and a couple of other photos that show the height issue clearly enough. I will try and post them tomorrow sometime.

Excellent question! (y)

Large 32" Millennium Falcon, (Basic Wk3 and Wk4 )

REVISED
I have now placed the 2 pictures that were here in with post #61 in the area where the seats are being discussed. I thank Jeeves for his comments and pointing out that it wasn't so obvious to some folks what I was seeing.

As an additional info bit that I will try and add later, I saw a video today of Issue 21 or 22 where the person was doing a review and showed parts of the magazine. There was a B&W photo showing the seat top right at the top part of the light bar and at eye level.

Here are the 2 incidental pictures from post #61:

Falcon-040.jpg~original

Falcon-041.jpg~original

Old post:

OK Jeeves, here is how I pretty much figured out how tall the rear passenger seats are. Using some old drafting techniques and a little guess work, It looks like those seats come up almost to the top of the light bar. Here is how I figured it:

(Pictures moved to post #61)

Hope that gives everyone some good info. Not only are the seats in the kit a bit short, but they just kind of miss the mark on a number of things. Paint and shape are 2 other flaw areas.

I have a lot of resizing of things in the cockpit and I want to have all the lights lit up. Also the panel colors in the kit are all black with a couple of bits on the front instrument panel being grey.

There are a lot of things just not even close, but I can't really do much until I have all the parts in hand to do the rework.

Great sleuthing Paul-- that last shot from behind really does sell how tall those back seats are...excellent!

Thanks for being the devil there Jeeves and making me work up a proof. (y)

It helps keep me honest and gets me to prove out what I see and work through in my head. Also the rear view photo shows a lot of detail on the framing on those seats. I read someplace that they were actually made from some ejector seats. If I knew which one I might be able to convert 1/48 scale resin seats to these. Also the front seats are from a Porche. I believe they are too big and am wondering if I still have one of the old Fujimi Porches in my stash where I could measure the seat and get an idea how far off it is. Future sleuthing chore.

Received an e-mail this morning at 4:20 AM that said package #2 had shipped. If it follows true to last time, I should have it on my doorstep tomorrow after work. Weeks 5,6,7 and 8. :dance

Large 32" Millennium Falcon (pics for pit seats )

Movie prop guys are lazy (According to one) What planes were beeing broken up about 74 and on? Must be excess Vietnam birds like thuds and early Phantoms with high flight times I will start looking there mate.

http://gizmodo.com/you-can-buy-an-ejector-seat-from-an-f-4-phantom-for-qui-1650466447

Looking at the bar in the back it might be an stripped down F4 seat The top part really looks very ADDED ON

Actually I beleive you have the base seat there Dave. The top part is even there all stripped down under all the green padding and wiring and stuff. The plates on the back are definitely added on.

Thanks for the look up Dave! (y)

Coming from a Galaxy Far Far away, an epic build.

Here is something I ran across while lookin at Utube stuff on the Falcon

Millennium Falcon Electronic Ramp Opening:

https://youtu.be/evzSHhUFiA8

If this is how they have it planned and do it I "WILL" be changing it. Why have the door open if when ou look up inside all you see is the crappy servo. It will need to have the interiour hallway above the ramp and the corridor at the top.

When using wide exterior static shots, keep in mind that the first three were old school, pre CGI so anything on a large set is most likely a matte painting. They used a lot of them in the films, most apparent was the shot of Vader walking down the Nuremburg type of assembly to meet the Emperor. All those stormtroopers are acrylic paint, except a few highly choreographed actors.

The shot of Chewy in the pit with the workers buzing around underneath is most likely a long shot of a sound stage with a Falcon painting on glass positioned in front of the camera, strategic clear areas scrapped off the glass to show movement behind it. Chewy in the pit would have rotoscoped in after.

I'm just mentioning it if you find inconsistencies with the production models, matte shots will be the least accurate, sort of like box art compared to the model.

Actually Ausf I don't use the matt painting stuff at all. It really doesn't show anything. What I am using are the following:

1. Photos of the 5 footer from several sources.
2. Occasional photos of the 32"prop though most of the use on that was quick high speed movement on screen.
3. Photos and screen captures of the sets, cockpit, hold, boarding ramp and a little of the entrance area up inside. Also some areas outside right behind and over the actors. For ESB they built a full size Falcon and added the external details when it was moved to the shooting stage.

In addition I am using info mainly from ESB which is what this model is supposed to represent. There are a lot of changes from the original Star Wars to ESB on the sets and the models. The only thing I am using from external shots is the lighting under the Falcon in the Ice hanger.

In most cases I will be extrapolating details to fit the model. No major resize or reshape, but detailing to more closely match the 5 footer.

Interior stuff to match the ESB sets and adding detail that should be there and isn't or correcting things that are just incorrect. :facepalm

This week I have been working with photos and my parts working up some sizes on things that will need a master part, rubber mold and resin copies (lots of copies). Mainly on the upper turret part.

Hopefully at the end of the day I will end up with a model that is a combination between the detailed 5 foot prop and the smaller less detailed 32 inch prop with the best parts of each. (y)

I was refering to the ANH screen grab from the Week 4 update you posted. It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but I'm pretty sure that's a glass shot with Chewy roto'd in.

I was refering to the ANH screen grab from the Week 4 update you posted. It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but I'm pretty sure that's a glass shot with Chewy roto'd in.

Was it this photo?

Falcon-045.jpg~original

For ANH there was only a partial Falcon built. For ESB the whole thing was built though I don't think they fully detailed the outside. There was a minimal pit inside the full size set for use in scenes like this. The only thing really worth taking note of though is what is seen in the round window up front.

(edit)
Oops! meant to say thanks Kenny! :blush:

Here is a brand spankin new post folks. It's a basic one covering shipment #2 and Weeks 5 thru 8, but I have a nice picture in it covering the screws with much better and clearer photos of the screws that I have received currently. Then there are the parts lists that go with all the weeks. Let me know what you think. :huh:

Falcon-Basic-044.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-045.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-046.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-047.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-048.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-049.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-050.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-051.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-052.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-053.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-054.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-055.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-056.jpg~original

REVISED

All the photos for Weeks (now Issues 5 and 6) are all updated. The parts lists for Issues 1 thru 4 are now with those posts and the screws photo is on page 1 first post so it is easy to find for everyone (including me when I have to fix it again) Complete Issues #7 and #8 are in post #83 at the bottom of this page.

Thanks for watching folks.

Back