• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Large Custom Millennium Falcon (new pics )

From a Galaxy Far Far away, (Week 2 pt 1 posted)

:woohoo: WOW. Very very nice and quite the attention to detail. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) :D
James

As the old movie quote goes;

"Folks! You aint seen nothin yet!" :blink

The EXTEREME mods and Week 3 are in works as we speak.

:frantic

Well I'm off to the spice mines of Kessel. :D

Your instructional graphics are amazing. Thank you so much for this extra work you're putting into these.

I'm curious to see what you do to make a new game table, as I want to do that too. I was thinking of using layers of styrene to make it, but getting it in an even round shape seems unlikely with that method.
I also intend to make a new console that has the levels and details and fiber optics. I think I can visualize that one a little more clearly with styrene.

Hey Dan, welcome to the forum!

I have been thinking about the game table top myself. Have not really figured out just how I will get the 2 side layers to work yet. Though something did just occur to me.

I will be using a small watch lathe to make it though. Depending on how things work I might make the Master and then make a rubber mold and then a resin casting. I will have to do so for the quad gun parts.

As to the interior parts, so far everything I look at is pretty much a fail. :bang head Have been looking in on other builds to see ahead and plan. I am seeing a lot of cut-n-chop in my future. :S

If I can keep up with the monthly issues for the mods it shouldn't overwhelm me. I would like to build something else in the spaces between.

Most impressive, Paul! I very much appreciated the description of removing the window frame- a very clear, confidence-inspiring description of dealing with what could be an imposing task. That pre-production shot of the original control stick layout is a new one on me! Han and Chewie really enjoyed tinkering with their bus, didn't they? ;)

I want to do something with the quad gun myself. My pie-in-the-sky plan would be to make the gun move with coordinated sounds. Optimally, I want the gun to raise, pivot left and right, and the hard part... the barrels recoiling inward like in the movie. That would take a hollow body for the gun, which I'm dubious that I can scratch build that at this scale.
What I want to do for a "motor" to make the recoil work is to have some springs of muscle wire that contract with a small charge. This would pull the barrels on that side back, and a normal spring would pull it back forward again when the charge is removed. It's a long shot, but if it works, it would be epic.

Can you share any of your sources for set photos you're finding? I want to go nuts with the detail on the main cockpit, but the images you're finding are not like a lot of the one's I've seen.

Thanks for all your wonderful comments guys! :notworthy

Chuck I have been trolling around the internet for years and lately there has been an increase in the amount of stuff on the Falcon it seems. That is one of the odd little goodies I found. When looking closely at A New Hope (ANH) which was the first movie, there were no "steering yokes". In Empire Strikes Back (ESB) the steering yokes were there and in a couple of scenes you could tell that there was no stick below. The panel was modified and the yoke was mounted on the panel. Most probably because Chewie was so tall that he wouldn't have been able to sit there with the stick in the way.

Hey Dan! A lot of the odd photos I have are from doing google searches. Specifically:

Millennium Falcon
Millennium Falcon cockpit
Millennium Falcon blueprints

Probably a few more but those are the main ones. Then I did a bunch of screen captures off the movies in the DVD set I have. They tend to be crunched and I have to stretch them width wise and then tweak and adjust a bit to raise the detail. There was also a lot of extra stuff that was on the Bonus Material disk. That one had the gun detail and some other shots from during shooting. Then there are several sites that cater to photos of the 5 footer. Some of those links I found trolling through the DeAgostini forum.

The interior stuff though will mostly be from captures off the movies. In some places you have to go frame by frame and then do tweaks to really see what is there but it works.

The stuff I will put in with my posts is a very small percentage and just there to confirm the basis for what I am building.

Dan as to the guns doing the movement and blaster stuff, good luck on that, but I suspect that those are a bit on the tiny side for all that articulation. Another thing about the guns is that the full sized set gun did not really look like the ones on the model. It was all cool on the screen, but when it comes to putting it on a model, choices have to be made. My choice is to redo the interior to make it appear as much like the movie sets as possible. Externally it will be to make the details to appear as close to the 5 foot shooting model as is reasonably feasable.
The turret being one of the focal point areas will need to be more correct than say underneath between the rear landing gear. If there is some detail on the kit that mostly appears like the 5 foot model I will probably lightly tweak it. The turret had a lot of issues so it is getting a lot of work to correct the look.

Whew! :facepalm Didn't really know what I was getting myself in for did I.

Have a good one folks. I have all the canyons on the turret turned into grooves now and all the giant size notches filled. Now to go and put some "normal sized" notches on the plates and start adding the correct type surface detail. :blink

Thanks for the nice comment Kenny.

Over the weekend I finished redoing all the panel lines in the turret. They are now all less than 1/2mm wide and some new ones have been added and old ones filled.

I started adding surface detailing, little squarish panels and such. I also made some grates. The hard part of that being getting the openings between the rails consistent. The 2 tiny grates turned out great. The large grate though has some issues. Going to redo it especially now that I had an epiphany when I got to work this morning. :hmmm I will probably redo the large grate tonight and test out my idea.

Also found some new photos this morning doing the same Google search "Millennium Falcon Cockpit" and looking at the photo section. Amazingly enough, it will change from week to week and you can find new things.

This is getting a little ahead, but is a sample of things to come.

Falcon-FX-T01.jpg~original

I will have my first EXTREME installment in the next day or so. Have a lot to cover before I get to this point, but bear with me. :D

Here is the first installment of Falcon EXTREME where I start the cuttee-choppee and heavy modifications. Simple start, but wait till next time. :D

Falcon-FX-001.jpg~original

Falcon-FX-002.jpg~original

Falcon-FX-003.jpg~original

Falcon-FX-004.jpg~original

Falcon-FX-005.jpg~original

Falcon-FX-006.jpg~original

Falcon-FX-007.jpg~original

Trying to keep the installments a little shorter and also trying to do a little graphics work each night before hitting the sack. Home from work, little food, little modeling, little graphics, ZZZZzzzzzzzz. Maybe it will work if I can get into somewhat of a habit with it. We will see. Just need a little inspire atta-boy stuff to help keep the zen up. :dance

Let me know what you think!

From a Galaxy Far Far away, (Falcon EX mod pics)

I agree about fun. This one is going to be a long haul but am liking what I see.....Cheers mark

It's amazing how much is different between the 5-foot and the 32 inch shooting models. It could be fun watching the BluRays and trying to pick out the shots of one model or another.

While I'm not inclined to replicate the levels of 5-foot accuracy you are, I do want to adapt a number of these pieces. I'm loving watch you examine this piece for piece.

Thanks Bob!

Dan, not all the parts are this different. The other 2 hull parts I have are pretty close. The one in the first week set has a couple of things that are not quite what I would like them to be but nothing to this extent. I suspect the areas around the engine and heavy details will need more work and others will be mostly ok as is. Wait and see I guess.

Chuck that is what I thought too. Actually having fun with this as I can mostly focus on one thing at a time. The cockpit though is going to have to be a total scratch job I am afraid. Amazing how much odd info I have been able to dig up over the last couple of weeks. Just the other day I found a photo of Anthony Daniels (C3PO) sitting in the left hand cockpit seat of the MF. Excellent high res B&W photo that answers some questions.

Back