• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I Bless the Rains Down in Africa

Hmmm, this could be a perfect window for my "Operation Praying Mantis" VA-95 A-6E Intruder. :hmmm

Hmmm, this could be a perfect window for my "Operation Praying Mantis" VA-95 A-6E Intruder. :hmmm

Or not. That was Iran. Doh! :bang head

If I could get my hands on some "UH" Sparkvark decals, I've got an EF-111 in the stash for "Operation Eldorado Canyon". Regardless, I'm pretty sure I could find something.

I have no idea what I'm doing yet, but with my newfound interest in these modern tanks, I might be able to come up with something....

I started a photo reference here;

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/the-real-thing/152173-i-bless-the-rains-down-in-africa-photo-reference

Been thinking...the only person I know from the continent is SA Dave-- so it might be fun to build something with Dave in mind. I am wondering what might be the best way to convert a present kit into a SA Olifant...I see it seems to be based on the Centurion- but also that one person building one has based it on the AFV Club S'hot Kal kit...I need more info. And some possible schemes...hmmm....
c7314ca16dabe003cc5e051cd1d4501c.jpg

denel-olifant-main-battle-tank.jpg

Olifant-Mk2.png

Thanks in advance for any help ;)

Israeli equipment of the 6 Day War (1967) & Yom Kippur War (1973) eligible due to the fighting in Egypt?

If not, that's fine. Just trying to get a bunch of ideas rolling around in my head. :laugh:

I believe Inside the armour made a conversion but as they are defunct you would probably have to look on ebay. Also I believe Trumpeter is supposed to come out with one. My memory is a bit shaky so these could be pipe dreams
James

I believe Inside the armour made a conversion but as they are defunct you would probably have to look on ebay. Also I believe Trumpeter is supposed to come out with one. My memory is a bit shaky so these could be pipe dreams
James
I know a local modeler that is making a conversion set for the AFV kit It does help that he actually is a tank comander on the vehicle so taking measurements was no problem.

Just saw the new Takom AMX-13 with Chaffee turret from the end of the Angolan war in 62 if anyone is wondering about a kit to buy.

Israeli equipment of the 6 Day War (1967) & Yom Kippur War (1973) eligible due to the fighting in Egypt?

If not, that's fine. Just trying to get a bunch of ideas rolling around in my head. :laugh:

Last I checked Egypt is still in Africa. :eek:hyeah

I am wondering what might be the best way to convert a present kit into a SA Olifant...I see it seems to be based on the Centurion- but also that one person building one has based it on the AFV Club S'hot Kal kit...I need more info.

Someone indeed converted the AFV Club Mk V to the Olifant Mk 1a.

Cromwell Models made a conversion:
2003_0101olifant0088.jpg

2003_0101olifant0038.jpg

2003_0101olifant0008.jpg

2003_0101olifant0054.jpg

Look here for a lot of very useful information:
http://www.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=79925

As to which kit to use?
Olifant
Engine_deck_Olifant.jpg

Sh'ot Kal (AFV Club has a kit)
Engine_deck_73_IDF2.jpg

Regards,

Thank you Saúl- I did see the same article in doing some digging this morning with my coffee...sadly I did not see any conversion kits on eBay...perhaps when I'm back in order in the fall there might be one....

I almost pulled the trigger on an Eduard Mirage IIICJ in 1970 Israeli markings (War of Attrition) this weekend (SB sale)...but I managed to restrain myself. :laugh:

But I did go pawing through my stash because I thought I remembered seeing something w/ Egyptian markings...sure enough, there was 1. My Eduard MiG-21PFM has markings from the early '80s Egyptian AF. It was one of only like 10 MiG-21s that survived the war torn '60s & '70s.

I almost pulled the trigger on an Eduard Mirage IIICJ in 1970 Israeli markings (War of Attrition) this weekend (SB sale)...but I managed to restrain myself. :laugh:

But I did go pawing through my stash because I thought I remembered seeing something w/ Egyptian markings...sure enough, there was 1. My Eduard MiG-21PFM has markings from the early '80s Egyptian AF. It was one of only like 10 MiG-21s that survived the war torn '60s & '70s.
You could have build that Mirage III as a South African bird also
http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/145/pics/61_2_b3.jpg

Back