• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DKM Tirpitz in Norway - Deck Desaster!

Re: DKM Tirpitz in Norway

well, thanks dudes but i haven't merely started yet!

okay - last monday - black border stripe, saturday - navy grey, sunday morning - medium grey, sunday afternoon - dark grey, today - white ... and here a "happy little accident" happened: i thinned down the white a tad bit too much and while bubbling the paint with thinner, some drops found their way to the only UNMASKED parts of the hull ... barf!

unmasking the camo yesterday let me start sweating since i feared that the tape would rip off the paint - fortunately that didn't happen (to prevent this i decided to do a masking marathon and remove the tape very quickly again), after having applied the white, it was time to remove the final bits of masking and i started sweating again - to my joy nothing of the black border stripe was ripped away but tons of the primer on the underwater ship was ripped away ... what i don't care for since the underwater ship won't never be seen again when tirpitz is in place ...

sadly the photos don't do the paintjob justice - i learned that ships in that scale are too big for decent photos by me ... i hope you like them anyway!

now it's waiting time for me - waiting for the fibre optics (ordered) and the pe (STILL not delivered by eduard! grml!)

Elesde - Darkness Party

port side:

camo1.jpg

camo2.jpg

camo6.jpg

starbord side:

camo3.jpg

camo4.jpg

camo5.jpg

:soldier

Outstanding Laura! I hate pulling mask also. :mpup

Cool stuff Laura. Will you try repainting the red? If so maybe post it notes will work without pulling up the other cam.
James

LAURA ,

Very cool camo !! Sorry to hear about th Hic-ups ... :sick: . at least th tears didn't happen above th water line !!

Keep up th Great Work !!

huzzah! huzzah for chuk! i had saved the pic to my comp but completely forgotten about the kewl trailer!

thanks for reposting!

Will you try repainting the red?

nah! i won't! nothing, believe me, nothing of that will be visible when i'm done with the water! i'll do shep paine's method of making water! (much better than my original plan of using hectoliters of boat varnish! :blush: )

Re: DKM Tirpitz in Norway (Lights!)

let there be light!

now i have some problems:

1) three or four fibre optics broke when i test fitted the deck! have to redrill and insert them again!
2) i don't have enough slots with white LEDs to illuminate the whole ship so i'll have to focus on the port side with the lighting! (very annoying!)
3) i don't have enough space inside the hull to add all the fibre optics what leads me back to problem 2! (damn tight that hull and the fibre optics installed are quite cramped already - MOST annoying!)

the effect looks absolutely brilliant in RL - far better than in the pics!

VNV Nation - Genesis

lights2.jpg

lights1.jpg

red light setting test (i also did green and blue - funky!)
lights4.jpg

With these lights,it almost looks like some kind of spaceship. :woohoo:

I LIKE IT! (y)

Greetings,Ron.

Re: DKM Tirpitz in Norway (Lights!)

Are you going to light every porthole?

as many as possible!

now i have some problems:

1) three or four fibre optics broke when i test fitted the deck! have to redrill and insert them again!
2) i don't have enough slots with white LEDs to illuminate the whole ship so i'll have to focus on the port side with the lighting! (very annoying!)
3) i don't have enough space inside the hull to add all the fibre optics what leads me back to problem 2! (damn tight that hull and the fibre optics installed are quite cramped already - MOST annoying!)

i think i could sort out 99% of the problems i face ...

1) i managed to repair the broken optics! whew!
2) i have six slots with white LEDs and four with blue LEDs - the starboard portholes will be illuminated blue! that has the advantage of a blueish sheen on the water surface!
3) i'm pretty sure that i won't be able to insert ALL but most of the optics on the starboard side and to be able to do so, i'll insert them from the outside and pull them through the porthole all the way ...

Re: DKM Tirpitz in Norway - Lights!

Very very cool Laura. The fibre optics really notches this up a few levels (y) (y) (y) (y)

James

i did it! i managed it to insert ALL the optics! this time i didn't fix them with ca as the ca makes the optics brittle ...

now the lights are done and it's waiting for the pe again ( :zen ) ... well, i could buy the wood for the base and the screws to fix the hull on the wood in the meantime ...

lights done = me proud 'n happy! :mpup

Feindflug - Roter Schnee

what you see here is 70,5m of fibre optics:

lights5.jpg

lights7.jpg

lights6.jpg

i did it! i managed it to insert ALL the optics! this time i didn't fix them with ca as the ca makes the optics brittle ...

now the lights are done and it's waiting for the pe again ( :zen ) ... well, i could buy the wood for the base and the screws to fix the hull on the wood in the meantime ...

lights done = me proud 'n happy! :mpup

Feindflug - Roter Schnee

what you see here is 70,5m of fibre optics:

lights5.jpg

lights7.jpg

lights6.jpg

Way to go Laura!! are you lighting the superstructure at all?

Back