• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DKM Tirpitz in Norway - Deck Desaster!

Re: DKM Tirpitz in Norway

This sounds like a great idea. As you've started already I'm sure you will present this boat at Oberschleißheim :)

:laugh: that was a good one martin! o'heim 2013 maybe but surely not o'heim 2012 ... this will take a very long time to finish! i haven't glued a single piece in place yet and still don't have the urgently needed pe to make this a decent looking ship ...

:laugh: :laugh: did I mention a year? :laugh: :laugh:

Sending something to you Laura, more of these... :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen

DKM Tirpitz in Norway - Update 1

mwhoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ... i went through hell, believe me! port side portholes and rainguards are done! i decided not to add the rainguards to the starboard side for the benefit of my sanity and due to the fact that they will never be seen from no matter what angle once the shadowbox is (hopefully) done!

what else has been done? like written in my last post, i cut away the ventilation shafts on b and c turret barbettes and cut away the molded on anchor chains ...

anything more? sure ... i "opened" the anchor openings in the hull, only to notice that i cut to deep and now have a fine hole in the hull - i already glued some paper in place to be able to fill and sand the port side anchor thingything (starboard side is ok!), then i opened the thingies where the anchor chains go into the hull, drilled a hole where the aft anchor chain goes into the hull and sweared like a sailor when i noticed the chunks of plastic simulating the corresponding "openings" in the deck ... i already know that i will have to do some major rebuilding once the wooden deck is in place ...

next step will be adding the few details needed for the hull, then paint it to be able to start with the real build!

i won't take care of the underwater ship details since nothing will be seen ever again after putting tirpitz to sea (propeller shafts and rudders would break away anyway so why do futile work ... ) - at least i won't have to correct the rudders from bismarck to tirpitz appearance - at least that ...

Jean Baptiste Lully - La Marche des Combattants

brunobarbette.jpg

caesarbarbette.jpg

(still some sanding to do!)

ankerklusen.jpg

bullaugen_bug.jpg

bullaugen_achtern.jpg

(never mind the different shapes of the rainguards, they won't be that prominent to insult the eyes when tirpitz will be in place ... the ladders will stay like they are, i'm not that eager to cut them away, drill holes and insert wire)

over the last week i found that many flaws and errors in the kit that by yesterday i was taking into consideration to dump this kit and switch to the revell offering but i then said to myself that it's a challenge to be accepted and taken ...

:soldier

Re: DKM Tirpitz in Norway - Update 1

:notworthy :notworthy i admire your patience to do all those small things and not tossing the whole thing in the nearest wall!
Looking forward to see your work on this ship Laura (y)
sending some :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen to help you! :D
//Mats

Maybe I should keep my mouth shut, but....
...this was about as far as I got with my Tamiya Bismarck. Then I went to the LHS and checked out the Revell offering, which ultimatly ended with the Revell Bismarck in the stash and the Tamiya kit in the trash....
It's not that the Tamiya kit can't be built to a good representation. It's just that it will fight back a whole lot more.;)

Hey Laura,

WOW ! This is quite an undertaking ! Although ... You got this in th bag ! I dig th attention to detail .Th portholes came out lookin' good !!

:zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen

Keep on Rockin' !!

:popcorn :drinks

I only just found this- HURRAY! Oh, Laura- thanks for putting my tough guys up at the first post- cheers!

Will yours have atomic missiles and FW190 floatplanes as well? ;)

In my whole life modelling I have only thrown away five kits before finishing them. Italeris 1/35 Panther A (three months of work trying to correct it), Tamiyas old 1/35 JagdTiger (maybe two months of correction work), the mentioned Bismarck (only a couple of weeks of vacation time), a Hasegawa 1/48 P-47 (lots of time on and of), and finally a Revell P-61 that I've been working on and off for the last ten years.
What do they have in common? :P

well, thanks dudes but i haven't merely started yet!

okay - last monday - black border stripe, saturday - navy grey, sunday morning - medium grey, sunday afternoon - dark grey, today - white ... and here a "happy little accident" happened: i thinned down the white a tad bit too much and while bubbling the paint with thinner, some drops found their way to the only UNMASKED parts of the hull ... barf!

unmasking the camo yesterday let me start sweating since i feared that the tape would rip off the paint - fortunately that didn't happen (to prevent this i decided to do a masking marathon and remove the tape very quickly again), after having applied the white, it was time to remove the final bits of masking and i started sweating again - to my joy nothing of the black border stripe was ripped away but tons of the primer on the underwater ship was ripped away ... what i don't care for since the underwater ship won't never be seen again when tirpitz is in place ...

sadly the photos don't do the paintjob justice - i learned that ships in that scale are too big for decent photos by me ... i hope you like them anyway!

now it's waiting time for me - waiting for the fibre optics (ordered) and the pe (STILL not delivered by eduard! grml!)

Elesde - Darkness Party

port side:

camo1.jpg

camo2.jpg

camo6.jpg

starbord side:

camo3.jpg

camo4.jpg

camo5.jpg

:soldier

Back