• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Beechcraft 18

Thanks for all the kind comments fellas. Much appreciated. (y)

I've started the -8 for Matthew's Christmas gift. Gear down of course, and beefed up a little. We wouldn't want a gear collapse, for sometimes small boys get a little excited as they push the thing along the floor while making engine noises. I'll post a few pics maybe later after all the components have been dry fitted together.

Christian, there was a Canadian company that made a one-off of the Twin Beech by changing the round engines to a couple of PT-6 turbines. The company was called Aircraft Industries Inc, based in a little town south of Montreal. This would have been in the mid 1960's. They never put it on floats, and also kept the tailwheel. It was unpressurized, so for the length of time they flew it - which wasn't long, they went out of business - they used it as a small package freighter.

Great work Jim.
I really like the stories that went with the build.
Always like hear the fun others had while flying.
Frank
:snoopy

Thanks Frank.
Re the stories, I'll come across something and all of a sudden it's like "Hey, that reminds me..." Glad you enjoyed them, mostly I just bore the pants off people. :eek:ldguy

Thanks guys.

Being a bear for punishment, I've started a second -18 on floats. Rich Hulina, the guy who wrote the book in the last post I made with pictures, saw the model posed with his book so he now wants one of his own. His will be the one he flew for a few years - CF-TBH - operated by Kay-Air. Another bare metal finish, and for this one somebody didn't spare the elbow grease. You can see use the sucker as a shaving mirror. It also has the large cargo door, that I shall install, but leave closed. I'll post a few pics on this thread as the build progresses.

Thanks guys.

Being a bear for punishment, I've started a second -18 on floats. Rich Hulina, the guy who wrote the book in the last post I made with pictures, saw the model posed with his book so he now wants one of his own. His will be the one he flew for a few years - CF-TBH - operated by Kay-Air. Another bare metal finish, and for this one somebody didn't spare the elbow grease. You can see use the sucker as a shaving mirror. It also has the large cargo door, that I shall install, but leave closed. I'll post a few pics on this thread as the build progresses.

:popcorn .... (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

I_LIKE_IT.jpg

med3d-bravo.gif

Wow! I didn't get to see this one in the finished state. I like this paint job. It must have been a bear to keep those stripes even and symmetric around that nose. Well done. A real beauty indeed.

Thanks Cap.

I like this paint job. It must have been a bear to keep those stripes even and symmetric around that nose.

Tell me about it. There were a buncha "What are you swearing at up there" moments from her indoorship. :D

I see that during my forum Hiatus I have missed a goodlum section of the construction of a cheap imitation of an historical artifact in miniature(after all is this not what a model is?), and the priceless narration thereof. Fantastic Job :notworthy (y)
:drinks

In 1970 , we had a twin with turbos with tricycle gear. Can't remember who did the conversion and I can't find a picture of a single example .
Good many of them with the radials though. Wonder if it could have originated from the same outfit?

Cheers, Christian B)

Christian I seem to recall there was a company in California that converted a few of the Volpar tricycle examples to turbos but only a few. The best that could be asked of them was to fly small packages or cancelled checks, stuff like that. The airplane wasn't pressurized, so it couldn't be flown at altitudes where the modification would pay dividends in fuel economy and still carry passengers, without the use of supplemental oxygen.

Back