• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Beechcraft 18

Thank you all for the kind comments, much appreciated fellas.

I have the floats and the main struts finished. The main struts are hefty affairs - as they must be - the airplane weighs what.. 9000 lbs? and the floats take a beating in rough water. I had no idea of the length, so I made the front one 42 scale inches, and with a 30-degree aft rake it gives around 38 inches of clear space between the deck of the float and the nacelle, at the lowest point. The front strut and the upper end of the rear strut are attached with a simple wire pin, but lower end of the rear one is more complicated. To begin with, the water rudder cables run up inside the strut to the nacelle, where by some PFM process they connect with the air rudder cables. This attachment called for some creative thinking. First, cut two funny shaped little fittings from scrap metal...
002_zpsm4krynde.jpg

Then drill a hole in the lower end of the strut and shove the long arm of the fitting into the hole and epoxy the thing in place.
005_zpscmoxw9cb.jpg

Dry fit.
003_zpslt4kmgya.jpg

006_zpsg4cgy9ug.jpg

Brief digression. The Otter float - the Edo 7170 from which these are descended - has seven watertight compartments, each with its own pump out well. The Beech float - the 7850 - has an extra compartment, therefore eight pump out wells. The wells are plugged with rubber plugs each with a little thumb screw that you turn to squeezes the plug and keep the water out and to keep them in close formation with the float. They look like solid wing nuts, but a little bigger. I made 16 of those suckers, well 20 actually because some always fly off to the 4h dimension, by squeezing a short bit of 20-ga aluminum wire into a thumbscrewy shape...
004_zpsjx2he9tu.jpg

...Then rounding it out to scale, clipping off the end then inserting it into the previously drilled hole in the deck of the float that represents the pump out well.
006_zpsfx3eri65.jpg

007_zpscifqm24q.jpg

In the above photo you can see the three water rudder cables dangling out the lower end of the rear float strut. The three - from the nearest to the furthest - are the rudder connection cable the one that joins the aircraft controls, the water rudder pull-up cable the one that allows the water rudders to be retracted and extended and finally the inner one, the balance cable. The balance cable is a continuous cable from one water rudder to the other. The cables are from 4lb nylon monofilament leader line, available from Wally's sporting goods department, for a modest sum. I drilled three holes in the end of the strut with a #78 drill and shoved the end of the cable in place along with a dollop of Gorilla Glue. To make things copacetic, I ran the rudder and balance cable under two rounds of scrap styrene, pounded from a sheet using a Micro Mark punch, to represent the two pulleys found in that location. This is another reason for that weird-shaped little fitting, it must accommodate a pulley on either side. The pull-up cable is not so well treated, it has a fairlead I made from a short length of wire insulation.

From those two front units, the cables go to a second set of pulleys mounted on the deck of the float. Again the pulleys are from scrap sheet styrene, attached with bits of wire.
009_zpsiy4frd7f.jpg

After threading through those rear pulleys, the rudder and balance cable are directed to its appropriate position on the water rudder tiller. I used a bit of modem wire insulation to represent the swaged fitting that closes the loop through the tiller. The pull-up cable goes through another fairlead, then routes through another bit of insulation on top of the water rudder post, where it passes through the hole in the top of the water rudder and is then glued in position.
010_zpsd4dkw5se.jpg

011_zpsihzdhtwh.jpg

I was concerned that the rear attach fitting I had so cleverly manufactured might be a little flimsy. It's only .020 metal after all, so I came up with an idea to add a doubler on either side of the fitting where it joins the deck. If you look closely, you can see a tiny triangular piece of metal that has been added to the joint, below the strut immediately ahead of the pulley. The result was great, the joint has been stiffened 100%.
001_zpsmwpqmyj9.jpg

Back later to finish off the floats.

Well, stick a fork in the floats.

Just to prove they both look alike, one right - one left.
007_zpstoz3zmfo.jpg

The water rudder cables are exposed to all and sundry out in the open like that on the deck of the float, so to protect them from abuse, not to mention being the cause of inadvertent swimming by clumsy passengers, they are partly covered by a kind of tunnel thingy. I made one for each side from beverage can, carefully cut and folded to shape.
005_zpseudfr86f.jpg

Once installed, they extend from about the trailing edge of the wing to just forward of those rear pulleys.
009_zpslfpybmvx.jpg

Epoxy those suckers in place and add a lick of paint...
010_zpsbbzbjozc.jpg

...Mask and paint the propeller warning stripes, and I'm calling the floats finished.
008_zpsdpslsfku.jpg

'Course, I just gotta see what this thing looks like, so it's dry fit time. More strut work will be added later.
015_zpsamgvfmef.jpg

This airplane had the landing lights in the nose - a la DC-2 - instead of the leading edge of the wing, so what you see there are the landing lights. I drilled a couple of holes in the nose, then inserted two aluminum nails cut off to the correct length, that I'd run a drill on the end to make reflectors. There's a third one that fell into the nose compartment, but that elicited another "What are you swearing at up there?" from the missus, so the less said the better.

J-Bot has come through with a beautiful set of decals for the aircraft titles, so the next big job will be painting.

Kicking! well for one thing, after all the rigging here then rigging something like a Gotha should be a cinch. By the way, Stoney, when would you go with a stagger wing?

Thanks for the kind comments fellas. I have the base coat of paint on, three mist coats of Tamiya flat aluminum, sanded between coats, then a wet topcoat. The topcoat has been polished using Peek metal polish, looks not too bad. Needs a coat of Future to prepare for the decals and to seal the finish.

Paul, I have a couple of Staggerwings in the stash, one in 1:48 and one in 1:72. The first company I flew for had a 17 on floats, but it was before my time and I never got to fly it. :( I have no plans to build one yet. Bob has a Sea Bee out there, his dad operated one at Whitehorse Flying Services. He put it on skis in the winter so that would be a hoot to build, but I hear that kit is pretty terrible so I may have to ponder on that one. :unsure:

As a smaller Child, I spent a lot of time in Tri-pacers & Cherokees. There wasn't a relief tube in either model of Piper single at that time. My Seester & I used a "cumulus-bumpus" coffee can.
I laughed outloud at your Aztec/CFI story!!

Bravo Stoney!!
:good:
:notworthy
:salute

Rhino, a coffee can'll do in a pinch, as will a shoe. A friend was driving a Norseman load of mail back in the day, the back was full of mail but he had a paying passenger riding shotgun. The pax had had a few beers, and there was still a hundred miles to go. Bucking a 30 knot wind that was over an hour. The passenger was getting more and more uncomfortable and finally asked for an airsick bag to go in. There was none up front, so the guy took off a shoe, peed in it, slid the cockpit window down and dumped it out. Only a little bit blew back in on him. :D

Anyway, short update. Got some colour on this thing, it looks pretty nice. The red is Tamiya X7 enamel, brushed on, and the cream is a homemade concoction of three drops of yellow in a half jar of Tamiya white, also applied with a brush.

I was installing the floats and the fershlugginer thing slipped out of my fingers and fell on the floor. Beech builds them solid, nothing came loose inside, and the tail broke off cleanly. The left wingtip also suffered a paint chip, a mere bagatelle. :D
002_zpsxhhuq09q.jpg

001_zpsy20epmfa.jpg

The tail has been reinstalled and I have the floats epoxied in place on the main struts. I have the N struts measured and cut, so I should have this thing up on her feet in a day or so.

Thanks fellas.
Whaddya mean, not the shoe? That was funny. Well maybe you had to be there. :D

Anyway, stick a fork in this one, she's done and dusted and it's Yukon Ho! when the mail leaves here this evening.

Jim Botaitis of J-Bot came through with a fine set of decals. There are no overwing and underwing registration marks on the real thing but both Bob and I - being of a certain age - :eek:ldguy decided we wanted the model to represent an aircraft from our time. Back then they did have the wing registration, so there it is. First a shot of HZA with her brotheren and sisteren. Actually, the bottom aircraft in that formation is HZA. It was sold to Northwest Flying Service a year or so ago, and is being flown in all its bare metal glory.
003_zpsg98tmm9f.jpg

004_zpsl6nv3ac8.jpg

005_zpsz2dm8yn9.jpg

006_zpspqralhrp.jpg

007_zpsp8axuub6.jpg

008_zps2fcna16m.jpg

009_zpsnskjez7f.jpg

011_zpsclyo0he8.jpg

That last shot shows the ironmongery required to attach a set of floats to the Beech 18. I heard someone once say there is just enough power left after an engine failure in a Twin Beech on floats to get you to the scene of the accident. There's a lot of drag there. Then again, I have an acquaintance who flew the Beech on floats one summer and said it was the most fun he ever had in his life. Mind you, this guy is a very high time PBY pilot, so anything less strenuous than a PBY would be considered a walk in the park. :laugh:

Quick note. I made the boarding ladder from scrap wire and aluminum, and the pitot tube is another bit of wire pounded and filed to shape. Dunno whether you can see them, but there's a couple of grab handles on the left side over the window line, to aid in climbing up on the wing. The radio antennas are bits of wire and plastic, and the strobe is likewise.

All in all it was a fun build, even though the model itself is put together like nothing I've seen before, what with the interior sitting between the wings. I have a deHavilland -8 in the on deck circle. My 5-yo grandson wants a -8 for Christmas, so I'm gonna throw it together in the totally fictitious Air Kemp livery. Actually I'm gonna build all the components and we will glue it together later, probably 10 minutes after he's awake on Christmas morning. :D

Hot diggity Stoney, that looks beautiful!!!

Awesome work!

:notworthy (y)

(I see the grab handles you mentioned! nice details!)

Gorgeous build . I bet rigging the real floats is interesting as well .

I wonder why they never converted the floater to the the turboprop as they did their tricycle gear twins ?

Got a ride in a Twin Otter in Washington and it was an interesting flight.... :frantic

That Christmas present should be a lot of fun :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Back