• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

An Old Friend...1/48 Revell P-40B Finished

An Old Friend...1/48 Revell P-40B Painting

Folks finally back to give a bit of an update.

First up is to let you know that this has actually progressed quite a bit. This will show you the first few stages of the painting.

First was a Flat Black overall coat then into the color. Model Master Neutral Color was first on the lower sections. On to the upper, Model Master #8 Olive Drab was the color of choice and the first session saw it mixed with Model Master Flat White. Eyeballed to the shade I hoped to portray and then sprayed within the panel lines. Careful but not too worried about overspray. I did not want to have the quilt look. Several sessions followed with more and more of the Olive Drab added until I got to a place where I was somewhat happy.

Several pictures for you.

2VPmeDN.jpg

CFTi2Mf.jpg

vVr6dDB.jpg

H2P3jNA.jpg

oaOdFqT.jpg

IbWkU0f.jpg

FuBlF5g.jpg

kxJNOML.jpg

There will be another quick update soon to show the remainder of the paint sessions.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Ok second part.

After several sessions I was not particularly thrilled with the look and went back and carefully sprayed some Testors Olive Drab from the square bottle to give it a bit of warmth.

A couple of things I am pretty happy with. The appearance of staining and panel paint fading.

xsDUfY5.jpg

Po6Mnu2.jpg

pkyuirV.jpg

4lJyKsc.jpg

1f7Z1QK.jpg

1bUjVYz.jpg

T4oMR8B.jpg

m7tDALV.jpg

Alrighty then, she is pretty much ready to decal up.

Joe

Think you're on the right track Joe but you should keep with the panel lines. Fading happens outside those lines stronger than on the panel lines themselves. Darker color should be along the panel lines.

Really looking good Joe! You're a better painter than I am. Nice work!

Many many thanks.

MP that is the plan for sure.

Mark appreciate that although I disagree.

Joe

An Old Friend...1/48 Revell P-40B Decals

Another update.

Decals are on. Again for this build the markings are not my focus. This will however be the last update showing what I had planned to show. After this I go a bit off road.

The decals went down with no issues. I used MicroSol to get them to conform and then threw a gloss over the top to seal them in.

uGuw1K1.jpg

mVOoGxw.jpg

e6u3hR7.jpg

gZIDuXU.jpg

Next up is the weathering.

Joe

Looking fantastic Joe! I'll sit back and wait till you return to the road. Your work is always well worth the wait.

My friend I am actually working on another update, hopefully soon.

Joe

You done Her proud thus far! Hawaiian sunshine beats the dog-snot out of the best finishes!
:ro:
:good:
:notworthy

An Old Friend...1/48 Revell P-40B Weathering One

With the continuing movement forward with the videos on this build it is time to throw out some better, used very loosely, quality images of the weathering.

First up, and each of these will be a kind of summary of what happened.

First the initial process was with a gloss coat I used Titanium White, cheaper oil set, to try to get some streaking and a bit of weather staining on the fuselage. I also used Burnt Umber, same set, to try to get some distinct staining on the panels of the engine area. I did not like the way this came out.

Anyway the pics.

aSaH8dq.jpg

jbbJaQN.jpg

nkzpjNL.jpg

bTh61Uz.jpg

The process is started anyway. Teaser, a bit of a change in execution is next up.

Joe

An Old Friend...1/48 Revell P-40B Weathering One

Nicely done. You've piqued my interest in your change of execution.

An Old Friend...1/48 Revell P-40B Weathering Two

Ok for this update let me talk about my methods.

First up for me was a drybrush of Testors Flat Aluminium. This concentrated on areas I felt and have seen received excess wear and tear on the paint due to crew use or even weathering. Along those lines I also used my cheap Oil Paint Titanium White with an abused round brush as well as two sizes of flat brush. I put small dots into the centerish of panels and then worked them into the paint. Mind you that this is being done over a flat clear layer. After several passes that encompassed varied panels I came to the decision that one of my more recent investments needed to be used here.

Recently I purchased four sets of Abteilung 502 Oil Paints. Beginning with ABT070 Dark Rust I began to play a bit with panel lines. After just a brief attempt I just had the thought that it didnt look right. I used a cotton bud to remove most of it and brought out ABT004 Bitume and began to work around some of the lines. I tried to keep this to where dirt and grime would build up and where the weather would cause streaking. I did this over several sessions.

Overall there is several hours of work.

h39tR8o.jpg

7695LDp.jpg

a5h0in1.jpg

F1fbJgZ.jpg

In the next update I will show what at the time I thought was the weathering finished.

Joe

An Old Friend...1/48 Revell P-40B Weathering Two

I like that you're getting back to the panel accent Joe. (y)

Back