• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AMT International Scout II

Love it, from a technical perspective that receiver for the hitch would be attached to that cross member not the bumper. Just add a bit of triangular stock as a flange on either side of the receiver and you're golden.
:vgood:
Yes, that is in the reference as well. I will add that. Thanks!

Well, time for an update. I have a highschool classmate who has a Scout, and he brought it to me and left it for reference. What a great way to build scratch parts! I took a gazillion photos of everything I could think of and measured actual sizes of parts. It turbs out, the air condition pump I had made was WAY too small. New, correct size on the right of course
1000011072.jpg

I made a new alternator, mostly because I could not find the other one I had made. You can see it there on the left along with the completed air conditioner.
1000011122.jpg

I cut the molded starter off the engine and made a better one. It will CA in place after painting.
1000011014.jpg

I started using my dremel to turn some pieces. ⅛" is the largest I can do though. I use my Xacto to shape the pieces.
1000011015.jpg

this is basically the same shaoe for two pieces. This was going to be the vaccuum advance on the dustributor but it too big for that so it became the fuel pump instead. However, the smaller V advance (not pictured) looks just like this, only smaller.
1000011013.jpg

The new "little bigger but smaller than MCG aftermarket" distributor is made of brass, copper, and aluminum.
1000011012.jpg

The fuel pump is the right size and fits well
1000011132.jpg

The two ports, inlet and outlet.
1000011131.jpg

Ya gotta gave power steering, right? This is the power steering fluid res. I still need to put the pulley on. I have yet to make the power steering box and shaft.
1000011129.jpg

I made the reservoir using the same priciple as the bumper was made. I cut the cover from .01" styrene, then cut a piece from .02" and inset it about 1mm to allow the front cover to extend past the box and glued it. Then I took .04mm thick styrene strip, scraped one side to start the "curl" and use CA glue to start and end on the bottom. I used Tam Xtra thin for the rest of the outer edge. I then cut a back from the .01" styrene to make the back. You can see in the previous photo that I punched a 5mm circle from .01" styrene and glued it, then drilled #66 holes for .033" black wire.
1000011127.jpg

I hope I didn't forget anything! That might be it for a while. I am having my 3rd back surgery at 10:30 in the morning for yet another herniated disc. It will be one week shy of a full year since my last one. I will get back to the bench as quickly as I can! Y'all keep 'em straight in here while I'm gone!

Looks like you are having a blast Greg! Years ago I started the 1/9 scale Kubelwagen kit. Had the opportunity to crawl all over 2 of them that were in a private collection and take a ton of photos. Then I used my 1947 bug for more reference when building the engine. It does make a huge difference having the reference right out the door.

Looks like you are having a blast Greg! Years ago I started the 1/9 scale Kubelwagen kit. Had the opportunity to crawl all over 2 of them that were in a private collection and take a ton of photos. Then I used my 1947 bug for more reference when building the engine. It does make a huge difference having the reference right out the door.
Yep, it is a well used up thing but everything is original. I think everything that can leak on a vehicle is leaking, but it runs and drives great. I would love to have a Scout now that I have spent so much time researching them, but dang, they are expensive. This old one, in the condition it is in would be between 15 and 20K. Nicer ones like the first picture of my reference are a 40K vehicle! I has been fun getting on my back, even through the pain, and taking photos of brake line and fuel line runs. His has dual exhaust. I would really like to try that but the kit is a single exhaust. I have an idea of how to make the new mufflers but have never tried it. Heat the 1/4" tube in hot water then squish it to make the shape? That is my guess anyway. Lots of fun being had here. I go into surgery in 3-1/2 hours. Hopefully this pain will be gone soon and I can get back to the bench.

Hey Greg, hope the surgery went well and you are home and recovering already.
Man I wish! I had part one on Monday. Doc went in from the side and extracted bone marrow from my hip to make a paste which helps fuse the verts to the metal, then they went in between two ribs and inserted the new disc which looks like a metal cage. I get a day of rest (it was a two hour surgery) then they go in from the back and connect everything together with screws and plates. They leave a tube coming out of the incision that collects blood in a plastic round box called a trauma box. It is measured and emptied each day until the output reaches some sort of criteria and the tube is removed. The last two times they have had me stay until Sunday before releasing me. I am hoping for Saturday this time! Pain is very minimal right now, like, almost zero. I think I have pushed the meds button three times (?) and that was only because I thought I should. Tomorrow’s session will be more painful. That was probably more than you wanted to know! But thank you for the well wishes. I am in a shared room with an annoying MF who makes weird noises all the time. I can’t tell if the moans are from pleasure or pain. A week of that and I will lose my mind.

Stay the coarse, lil' Brother. When you go 50 miles into the woods, you have to come 50 miles back out again.
You can wup this! Be nice to you. Take your time. (Sure. You?!)
Our prayers are with you and Gail.

Hey everybody, thank you for the well wishes and thoughts! I came home Saturday which was not expected. It was "wanted, wished, and hoped for" but not expected. I am finally feeling more alive today. I still do everything in "slower than a turtle" mode. Situation normal. Maybe this will be my last surgery for a while. I managed to to stay away from hospitals since I was 15 with Pneumonia. Now, I can't stay out. But that is about to change! Once the back heals enough I will start wearing a backbrace and will start swimming again. I am looking forward to being back with my modeling family! Gonna go take a nap. A sudden wave of sleepy has hit me. Thank you for checking in on me!

Great news Greg. Yeah it's hell getting old. :oldguy:

They had the pool open for adult swim last summer, I loved it till the life guard quit and they had to shut it down. total bummer.

Back