• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

All Righty ... What's on the bench today?

All Righty ... What are you doing today ?

I've been fascinated by the theories that the Chinese were visiting the western coast of North America long before Europeans were coming to the eastern side. Who's to say they didn't?

There is another theory Bob that a Chinese ship landed on eastern Canada's shores. They found what they think is a settlement site whose layout has some resemblance to a Chinese village. The local indigenous population also had some clothing and cultural artifacts that resembled Chinese stuff. Pretty crazy as theories go but they are out there.

It gets even more odd if you really do some digging and start to come across accounts of people finding Roman artifacts in North America.

It gets even more odd if you really do some digging and start to come across accounts of people finding Roman artifacts in North America.

How about ancient Minoan's mining copper in Michigan! (been watching too much discovery/history channel lately)

The Koreans were famous sailors. At one time, they had the largest fleet in the world. They were the first to use metal to protect their ships and generally kicked butt against their main rival, the Japanese; who are actually descended from Koreans....

From what I remember the Chinese were not great explorers, content to remain in the Middle Kingdom. They did build one fleet that sailed in the early 15th century, other than that they were not one's to go poking in other's business.

The Chinese have this old map that predates most maps of Africa and the world
http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/156-chinas-1418-world-map

One thing that is interesting is that everybody forgets that the Indians also were a sea ranging people at one stage That map might even be copied from one of theyr maps. It is also commonly accepted that the Zimbabwean ruins was an Indian trade city.

Our western history overlooks the east almost always propably because they have been more stable the last 1500 years.

Looks like I'll be up for awhile. About an hour ago, we had a 5.1 earthquake whose epicenter was less than 2 miles from my house. It felt like 7-pointer that is 50 miles away. Shook us up pretty good; we had a lot of things fall down but no major damage.

In my Hobby Room, one aircraft; a C-130A transport, was brought down from the ceiling and broken. Two other aircraft on higher shelves came down too. One; my C-160 Transall fell into a box and was not broken. The other one; a B-25 Mitchell hit the floor and lost an engine and nose landing gear. My recently "finished" CH-53 in German markings fell down, losing the main rotors; but they had not been attached for traveling purposes anyway.

All my Works in Progress hit the floor from where they were sitting in the spray booth. So far, not real damage done to them. I have been blessed to not have been set back too far on any of those projects.

Aside from that, I am staying up because I've already felt at least four aftershocks that have been big enough to make me sit up and prepare to dive under the desk here again. I figure there'll be a good number of them before the night is over.

I don't know if this will bring up the map the way I see it, but this is where the epicenter was:

Epicenter: La Habra Earthquake

I previewed this and clicked the link. It seem to have worked for me at least.

Further updates as I get them.

So far all's well. No major damage at home and I've heard very few sirens for a shaker this violent.

Be safe Mark. I experience our first real quake last month, 4.1 that was about 20 miles from us but still, that was a new experience for me. I understand that the difference between 4. and 5. is like 10 times? Wow!

There's a lot of activity out there, wonder where the big one is going to hit. :zen

I'll stay in Ohio, Thank you! We have a fault running through the area, but rarely feel a tremor.... Besides, why would God trash Cleveland and ruin all the jokes? :rotf

We have a winter storm warning for tomorrow... 3-8" pf snow... just wonderful :bang head

Thanks guys. Things seemed to have calmed down considerably now, so the cleanup begins. I'll be spending quite a bit of time in the Hobby Room getting things picked up and/or repaired as I see them. Then I'll be off to Florida on Monday so it'll be awhile until I get back to the bench.

Glad you're okay, Mark- sorry you had some damage. I was sitting at the computer and my wife was standing behind me- one hand on the table and one on my chair. I thought, 'why is she rocking the chair like that?" She looked at me and said, "I think it's and earthquake!" We looked and saw the window blinds swaying- it was very gentle but went on for a good ten seconds or more- a weird sensation that almost made me seasick. That was it for us.

Glad you're okay, Mark- sorry you had some damage. I was sitting at the computer and my wife was standing behind me- one hand on the table and one on my chair. I thought, 'why is she rocking the chair like that?" She looked at me and said, "I think it's and earthquake!" We looked and saw the window blinds swaying- it was very gentle but went on for a good ten seconds or more- a weird sensation that almost made me seasick. That was it for us.

What got me about the one we had, was the sound. I first though it was one of the big choppers going over till I realized the floor was moving. But the sound, the rumbling, it was like everywhere even for my death ears.

Really makes you realize who's in charge. :zen

I experienced one in 2008, and since we sit in one of the least active regions in the world, it was a strange feeling.
It woke us up, and I thought it was a storm, since our large panorama windows where shaking like crazy.
Just after it was over, I realised that I had been experienced problem walking, something that I thought was because of suddenly being waked up.
Later in the day I was almost irritated that I hadn't understood it was an earthquake, and felt a bit cheated, since I have always been curious on how it felt.... :)

The epicentre was only about 8 miles away.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Skåne_County_earthquake

Here in the San Francisco bay area we have no real threat of tornadoes, hurricanes, ice storms, or flooding.
Just ..... waiting........ for ...... the ..... big one. :blink ( I have been giving my emergency action plan some serious attention though. Food, water, camping cooking setup, shelter alternatives, etc... ( Prepping for dummies.) (y)

Found this. You have all probably seen it before, but it's still good for a laugh. Keep you powder dry. Bill

s-mod.jpg

One exception on that Bill, What I think I do should be a pile of glue with paint mixed :rotf

Thanks Chuck. I am actually surprised at how little damage we had considering the first big one was 2 miles from my house and the second big one was one mile from my house. My place sits on a big granite slab so we got a lot of violent jolting and very little, if any, rolling. I watched as a lot of stuff was thrown down off our shelves, but nothing breakable (except the aforementioned models) was damaged.

Bill, I love that poster. I may have to copy and save that for myself.

Glad all you guys all made it OK .
Reminds me of my time living in Vegas . Always thought I should buy some property there as it could easily be beach front property some day :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Man oh man, what a weekend. My wife spent from midnight Thursday night/Friday morning, till about 3 pm yesterday in the hospital. She was diagnosed w/ severe bronchitis last week, and it just continued to get worse until Thursday evening when we decided it was time to go to the hospital. When we got home yesterday, and looked at the paperwork, we found out she'd been diagnosed w/ some kind of inflammatory respiratory problem that I guess would have continued to get worse if we hadn't gone to the hospital.

Needless to say the whole thing has left me just completely exhausted. Was awake from 6 am Thursday morning to 8 am Friday morning, and from then until last night I don't think I got more than 2 hrs of uninterrupted sleep. But thankfully my wife is doing quite a bit better. She still has a ways to go to being completely healthy, but at least she's finding it a lot easier to breath now.

Back